Converted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
    Over the past few years, I have converted some people, but two really stand out. The last one finished SiL last night. His comments:
    Oh, that's lovely! Thanks for sharing.

I had a recent covert but I mostly got questions along the way. She did gulp down seasons 3 & 4 in less than a week, though. And yeah, she cried during Sleeping in Light...as it should be.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

We're currently in the process of watching the show with a friend of ours (we've already converted a few folks). In fact, he's coming over in half an hour or so to continue watching Season 2. The reaction so far is very, very positive.

(We won't be watching Crusade, though.)

Originally posted by Dr Maturin View Post
      Over the past few years, I have converted some people, but two really stand out. The last one finished SiL last night. His comments:
      Thanks for posting that!
      Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Well I had two of my neighbours round for Christmas and one of them spotted my B5 S3 DVD set and the following almost saw me fly across the room to hug her: "Oh B5, I love that." Then, the other neighbour chipped in: "Oh, you've got that too." It was a beautiful moment.

As for Crusade, I can't remember the name of the two episodes which really get me: One is where they find the alien in the glass case and the other (which doesn't quite look as good as it should) is the episode where they're after the fugitive with the data crystals. When you find out what on them, man, for me that's clever and touching.

As for SiL, watched it first time with my family milling around and had to turn it off as I didn't want them to see me breaking down
        I'm a pessimist: that way you're never disappointed but frequently, pleasantly surprised

Comment

Originally posted by I, Zathras View Post
          As for Crusade, I can't remember the name of the two episodes which really get me: One is where they find the alien in the glass case and the other (which doesn't quite look as good as it should) is the episode where they're after the fugitive with the data crystals. When you find out what on them, man, for me that's clever and touching.
          "Patterns of the Soul" and "The Needs of Earth."

edit: oops, meant "Path of Sorrows" not "Patterns of the Soul."
          Last edited by JoeD80; 01-20-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

They're the ones, cheers. I feel shamed, I'm reading an episode guide at the minute as well
            I'm a pessimist: that way you're never disappointed but frequently, pleasantly surprised

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
              (We won't be watching Crusade, though.)
              I would. While we never do see things get resolved, I like what we got, and like watching the episodes to this very day.

In fact, I was thinking of watching some of it last night. Instead, Leno came on and I started to watch that, and fell asleep just after the monologue. (Hey, I was beat.) Then, I had a strange dream. I was somehow at "The Tonight Show" and Gary Cole (Capt. Gideon) was the host, not Leno, and Gary was interviewing David Allen Brooks (Max Eilerson). I was showing Gary and David my old, worn & faded Crusade hat (from the Babylon 5 Fan Club) next to the new, perfect Crusade crew hat which I won on eBay a couple of weeks ago, and Gary and David were slackjawed and speechless. Then, I woke up.

<shrug> I did have something spicy to eat before I fell asleep last night.

p.s. I almost never remember dreams.
              Last edited by KoshN; 01-19-2011, 06:17 AM.
              Mac Breck (KoshN)
              ------------------
              Warner Brothers is Lucy.
              JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
              Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

I've stated a variation on this once before, but since it's a "who else have you hooked" thread, I figure this part bears repeating:

I've hooked another half-dozen people or so, including my wife, another staunch Trekkie, who, when we were just starting out dating, reluctantly agreed to watch a VHS-taped hour of B5 with me. SIX hours later she said "This isn't like Star Trek. It's..." and she furtively looked around as if committing treason, "...it's BETTER."
                "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid." -- Quantum Crook, Casey and Andy Webcomic

Comment

Somebody at work noticed my 'Never Surrender Dreams' cup at work today so I printed out the archived NSD document from the Foundation (Franklin's religion as you'll recall) that was posted a while back and she fell in love with it and wanted to know more. I explained about B5 and JMS and she asked to borrow the DVDs even though she generally doesn't care for TV...or really, SF.

Because of that, I've decided to have her watch the re-edited "The Gathering" and "In the Beginning" to let her see if it's to her taste. Yeah, it'll spoil a few things but I think it'll be worth it to not use up a lot of her time while she finds out if she wants the season sets.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Because of that, I've decided to have her watch the re-edited "The Gathering" and "In the Beginning" to let her see if it's to her taste. Yeah, it'll spoil a few things but I think it'll be worth it to not use up a lot of her time while she finds out if she wants the season sets.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jan
                    Args >.<" I wouldn't have done that... when I show the show to a person who doesn't know it I generally start with season 1 - the pilot is nice but it doesn't fit with 100% (yes yes - Kosh has a hand, 100 Vorlon ships threaten to destroy the station,... the old story ^^). And why in Valens name did u show her IdB?!?! Now those absolutly amazing 3 B4 episodes won't knock her socks off... well sorry... oc it's your decision how u introduce someone to B5 but I'm generally very cautious in this aspect.
                    Till now I 'forced' (I said they must watch season 1 and if they don't like it they can blame me forever but they must watch all 22 episodes ^^) 2 ppl to watch it - both liked the show - one is really big fan now!

Comment

Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
                      Till now I 'forced' (I said they must watch season 1 and if they don't like it they can blame me forever but they must watch all 22 episodes ^^) 2 ppl to watch it - both liked the show - one is really big fan now!
                      Oh, believe me, I understand but...I don't have the luxury of 22 episodes with this person and I felt that showing her the roots of the universe in rough form ('The Gathering') and then showing her just how good it gets ('In the Beginning') would be enough to let her judge whether the show will be to her taste. Once she says yes to more, then I'll 'force' her to watch from Season 1 all the way through.

If it doesn't work I may never try it again but even JMS has said it's okay to have folks watch ItB early on.

Jan

PS: Of course Kosh has hands (when he wants to)! Sheridan was holding both of them in "The Fall of Night" when Kosh rescued him.

Comment

Just starting season 4 with my teenage daughters. They refer to it as the greatest television show ever made. We watch all the episodes together and it is really cool watching the show again through new eyes. My wife is also a huge fan but she can't watch the show anymore because every time Londo
                        comes onscreen she cries.

They are telling their friends and they are getting interested as well. I am working on converting a new generation.

Comment

Working...
                        X