Converted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jal View Post
    just keep her away from LOTR for as long as possible.
    Forever would be good.
    Mac Breck (KoshN)
    ------------------
    Warner Brothers is Lucy.
    JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
    Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
      You gave her ItB BEFORE letting her watch the first 4 seasons??? Sacrilege!!! ^^
      Not really.
      I wanted her to have the events in the right chronological sequence. And since the important parts of ItB are shown in the concerning episodes I see no problem.
      Also, after season five I can ask her whether or not she remembers what Londo was like in ItB to close the circle.
      What's up Drakh?

Comment

I love hearing stories about people being "Converted" over to watch B5 and then get hooked on it. Over the years I got several of my co-workers hooked on B5 when it was still airing on television. My wife of course, who doesn't really care for sci fi except Stargate SG1, has accused me of corupting these co-workers minds.
        Now I'm enjoying a new wave of converstion by getting people geared up for the Lost Tales. My wife every once in a while rolls her eyes when she comes down stairs and I'll puposely play the Lost Tails trailer and she'll sometimes say, "again?"
        Then again there's still hope. I got my wife to agree that once we get our new much larger television for our home theatre that was built in the rec room that she would watch B5 with me from begining to end. This be the "Last Best Hope for" converstion.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
          I love hearing stories about people being "Converted" over to watch B5 and then get hooked on it. Over the years I got several of my co-workers hooked on B5 when it was still airing on television. My wife of course, who doesn't really care for sci fi except Stargate SG1, has accused me of corupting these co-workers minds.
          Now I'm enjoying a new wave of converstion by getting people geared up for the Lost Tales. My wife every once in a while rolls her eyes when she comes down stairs and I'll puposely play the Lost Tails trailer and she'll sometimes say, "again?"
          Then again there's still hope. I got my wife to agree that once we get our new much larger television for our home theatre that was built in the rec room that she would watch B5 with me from begining to end. This be the "Last Best Hope for" converstion.
          I'm working on my coworker who sits next to me next...he's a nutty BSG fan, so I figure Bab 5 shouldn't be too tough of a sell on him.
          Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
          True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Well, a few weeks ago I gave the Babylon 5 series to my sister.
            She just phoned she's halfway in season 3 and she is hooked. She's watching every chance she gets.

I'm not getting it back! Well, that's not too bad because I bought a reserve series when they were cheap.
            Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
            John Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by I love Lyta View Post
              Not really.
              I wanted her to have the events in the right chronological sequence. And since the important parts of ItB are shown in the concerning episodes I see no problem.
              Also, after season five I can ask her whether or not she remembers what Londo was like in ItB to close the circle.

I have to agree. My ex girlfriend enjoyed the Babylon 5 saga a lot more by starting with ITB first instead of starting with The Gathering. The Gathering isn't a bad movie but it's no where near climatic as ITB. Yes I agree ITB has small spoilers but the small spoilers are exactly how JMS wrote most of the 5 seasons anyways. This show is one giant jigsaw puzzle and each episode reveals either spoilers or answers to the spoilers by going back and explaining what happened. Plus at the lurkers guide website there is a master list that shows that ITB should be seen first just because it gives answers without completely ruining the 5 seasons because its more of a show like How did we get from Point A to Point D even though we know that we got there.

Alex
              "The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening main title narration from B5)

"Faith...Manages"--Delenn and Lennier from B5
              "Oh, boy, is this GReAT!!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House

V--"For Victory. Go tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
              myspace.com-babylon5fan07

Comment

Well, of course ItB can be watched first, and we all know that it's a much better argument to convince someone to watch the entire show than "The Gathering" probably is. ItB is an instant experience with its epic scale, the acting and the music.

The problem some of us are talking about is just... well, ItB gives away too much of what is called the season-one-mystery. There is this whole thing surrounding the "hole" in Sinclair's mind and what has happened during the final minutes of the Earth-Minbari-War, the return of an ancient enemy called "the Shadows", and Delenn's vote to retaliate against the Humans (which doesn't become a plot point before the 4th season!) - not to forget the change in Delenn's appearance, as she is shown in the prologue of ItB in her later human/minbari-hybrid-form.
                All this is not destroying, but influencing the original gritty, dark, mysterious feeling generated during the pilot and season 1. Someone around here called it scifi-noir-style, if I remember correctly, which describes it pretty good, it has quite an X-Files-feeling to it when you don't know what's behind all this and getting only small hints through every episode.
                Londo's fate - becoming Emperor - is the smallest problem here, I think, as we get references to that very early in the show, too.

Just my two cents...!

Comment

Originally posted by Morden View Post
                  The problem some of us are talking about is just... well, ItB gives away too much of what is called the season-one-mystery. There is this whole thing surrounding the "hole" in Sinclair's mind and what has happened during the final minutes of the Earth-Minbari-War, the return of an ancient enemy called "the Shadows", and Delenn's vote to retaliate against the Humans (which doesn't become a plot point before the 4th season!) - not to forget the change in Delenn's appearance, as she is shown in the prologue of ItB in her later human/minbari-hybrid-form.
                  The only one that's a problem for me is the Delenn with hair thing from the prologue. The rest turns early B5 from a mystery to a loose Greek tragedy*, where the audience know something that the characters don't and that works for lots of people.

Interestingly, Sheridan's story arc reflects quite nicely the kind of arc used in Greek tragedy, including achieving revelation about human nature, fate and the will of the gods ... although his arc would not necessarily be described as his "downfall", which a tragedy usually is.

* At least I think it is Greek tragedy that is known for that kind of structuring.

Hmm, strayed well OT there - we now return you to your normal service.
                  The Optimist: The glass is half full
                  The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                  The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Last night was interesting when I showed a co-worker the trailer for TLT. She and her husband liked B5 when it was on, but had lost interest when it wasn't on any more. I had told her of the new DVD coming out and she was partially pumped, until last night.
                    After I showed her the trailer at work, she literally had goose bumps on her lower arms when she showed me and said "look". Then she asked when it was coming out. Five minutes later she called her husband and he was intrigued by asking when it was coming out. They planned on watching the trailer together when she got home. So that's two more re-converted. I've got a few more that I'll be working on during the next few days.
                    Is there somewhere where we can apply for commisions for promoting B5?

Comment

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
                      Last night was interesting when I showed a co-worker the trailer for TLT. She and her husband liked B5 when it was on, but had lost interest when it wasn't on any more. I had told her of the new DVD coming out and she was partially pumped, until last night.
                      After I showed her the trailer at work, she literally had goose bumps on her lower arms when she showed me and said "look". Then she asked when it was coming out. Five minutes later she called her husband and he was intrigued by asking when it was coming out. They planned on watching the trailer together when she got home. So that's two more re-converted. I've got a few more that I'll be working on during the next few days.
                      Is there somewhere where we can apply for commisions for promoting B5?
                      Haha...Firefly had Browncoats...we can be... Night Watch!!! Or if we wanna be something nicer we can be "the Rangers"
                      Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                        Haha...Firefly had Browncoats...we can be... Night Watch!!! Or if we wanna be something nicer we can be "the Rangers"
                        Can't we all just be Zathras?
                        The Optimist: The glass is half full
                        The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                        The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

I think we are Bvers
                          Andrew Swallow

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow View Post
                            I think we are Bvers
                            ... as in "Bvers and Butthead"? Oh, no, that was something else...

At least we should be "B5ers", or someone might think we are fans of Bonanza...

Comment

Over the past few years, I have converted some people, but two really stand out. The last one finished SiL last night. His comments:

...alright, frankly, I don't remember the last time I cried as hard as I did last night. Yeah, I said it. When everything really did end in fire, I sobbed like a goddamn newborn baby. A couple times earlier in the episode, I watered up a little bit, but that happens every now and then. Like, when the dog rejoined Jack at the end of Lost, same thing. But when JMS threw that switch (and I've never seen JMS, not even a picture, but somehow I knew it was him) and the reaction happened, I fuckin' lost it like I haven't in years. Strangest thing. Afterwards I staggered from my room in a daze, and ran into my ancient old kittycat outside. She's become a lonely needy attention-whore in her old age, so I just sat down and gave her the pettin's she demanded for about ten minutes, while still leaking from the eyes. Then typed that short message. So, uh, yeah, it was pretty good.

(Well, no, now I do remember the last time: I was watching Apocalypse Now while drunk, and suddenly found myself both weeping piteously and laughing uproariously at the same damn time during the Ride Of The Valkyries helicopter battle. Which is really bizarre, since I've seen that movie probably dozens of times beforehand. I guess it really depends on your mood when you watch something, and I was in the perfectly receptive state of mind last night.)
                              Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Don't forget to check out Crusade, (although I have yet to check that out myself yet)

Comment

Working...
                                X