No announcement yet.

News on TLT Soundtrack release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to say, just bought the soundtrack CD at Saturn here in Hamburg. It was just mixed in with all the B's and was the only copy they had. Only cost Ç15.99 which is only 12 quid so I was quite happy about that. (Note colosseum.de the European distrobuter for Varese are selling it for Ç14.99)

Currently listening, seems slightly less jointed than previous music and is quite different in its way. Though some tracks seem to end a little abruptly.

For anyone else that has bought it, the title of track 20 seems like a spelling error. To not give anything away the second word has a V in it where I would have thought it would be an F. Anyone else have this, or is it only the German copies?

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      Rob, not to be a tease but I'll have to see how things go. JMS said that the Garibaldi segment would be in the next Lost Tales disk (assuming one gets greenlit, of course). If so, it would be really inappropriate of me to let out elements of the story. Once this DVD is out I'll read it and let y'all know, okay?
      Thanks Jan that would be cool. I know JMS said it would appear but I have this sinking feeling for some reason that it won't happen for one reason or another.

Comment

Originally posted by tarasis View Post
        Thanks Jan that would be cool. I know JMS said it would appear but I have this sinking feeling for some reason that it won't happen for one reason or another.
        I guess it depends on A) whether future disks are greenlit and B) whether they can come to an agreement with Jerry Doyle. As I recall, he seemed pretty upset when the offer was withdrawn after the negotiations had started. I can't blame him and, of course, WB can't mention future disks until and unless they're greenlit. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I got mine today, too. Originally, I didn't plan to listen to it until I saw the DVD...

yeah, right, like THAT would ever work out! I have it since probably 6 hours, and did already listen to it 3 times. The first time I was through, I had such a huge smile on my face, I was so happy and giddy... I really can't wait for that DVD to arrive.

Anyway, how did I like the soundtrack? I think it's very, very good. You definitely feel the years that passed since the series ended, or even LOTR was produced. Christopher Franke definitely seems to have grown as a composer. For example, he uses a piano surprinsigly frequently, given that it never really appeared during the episode soundtracks (he did use it for the Season 4 DVD Suite, though). There are also other instruments we haven't heard that much before on B5, like single strings. Where he tended to use many instruments all at once, he now seems not to shy away anymore to sometimes also use just one or two. That gives it a fresh sound, even if some of the melodies and the typical mix of orchester and synthesizer definitely make this a classic B5 soundtrack.

The beginning of the Soundtrack is just great, "Dying Station" with a piano. It's so powerful and beautiful. While I didn't embrace the new TLT-theme when I heard it for the first time a couple of months ago, it really has grown on me, and I happen to like it now, even if I think he could have done with a little less drive.

The score of the first segment is very dark, spooky and atmospheric. I loved the new theme that is played in some of those tracks. He makes heavy use of the orchestra here and seems to pull back the synthie a little bit. And while it reminded me of the Lord of the Rings-soundtracks in some instances, I really enjoyed it.

The Soundtrack of the second segment is a little mixed bag. There are those action pieces with heavy use of the synthesizer, where I think he sometimes overdoes it. Furthermore, he uses some new synthie tones that while adding to the diversity, sometimes reminded me of soundtracks for some computer games ("The Moment of Silence", and adventure game from Germany, and the first two parts of the Wing Commander-series). Also, "Landing" sounds like it could have been taken straight out of the new Wing Commander-outing, Arena, which will be released soon. It has this typical thriumphant vibe to it, like returning to the base after a successful mission in the Wing Commander-games. And I really hated "Party", it just was too grandiose for my taste.

BUT... I really love the quieter pieces. And Epilogue 2 was just wonderful. Unfortunately, it's only 36 seconds, but god, is that some beauitful piece of music, arranged in a new and very moving way.

All in all, a very good soundtrack, with many new melodies, instruments, ideas etc. Very atmospheric, very touching, and just a pleasure to the ears - with a single exception . If the DVD turns out as good as the soundtrack, then gee, we're really in for a ride come July 31st.

Comment

Originally posted by cornholio1980 View Post
            Furthermore, he uses some new synthie tones that while adding to the diversity, sometimes reminded me of soundtracks for some computer games ("The Moment of Silence", and adventure game from Germany, and the first two parts of the Wing Commander-series).
            The music in Wing Commander was awesome! (the first one anyway, haven't played the second..)

Comment

Soundtrack review

I forgot that I had ordered it from Amazon and downloaded it from iTunes day before yesterday so that's coming with my movie.
              (I could swear I wrote a review of it somewhere around here, but may have edited it out)

The music has a much more synthesized sound for sure, but it is a different time, different place and situation than the series. It should be different. Which isn't bad in this case. Most of it is what they call 'incidental' music, small bridge pieces less than a minute long.
              The little musical phrases here and there that catch your ear from the series reminds you of where you are. You're home. A revisiting of an old neighborhood seen through older eyes. I like it and have offloaded it to my ipod as well. (I need lots of music I can listen to without words so I don't end up singing in public like a fool)

So I have the music, but not the dvd. Nor the comic, but that's another tale of woe.

To new beginnings and friends not forgotten!
              "It is what I have done with where I have been that should be of interest." - Georgia O'Keefe

Comment

Working...
              X