Group Watch: Geometry of Shadows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Watch: Geometry of Shadows

Not to be confused with any other ____ of Shadows. This episode presents one of my favorite quotable moments from B5. A really deep, introspective line delivered like none other before or since:

"GREEEN!!!!"

"PURPLEEEE!!!!!"

Yes. Amazing. I know. At least I can use it whenever someone who's watched the show wears one of those colors.

On a serious note, obviously I've known about Londo's tragedy from previous watchings, but I'm watching this go around with a little bit more of scrutiny so I can write a bout it afterwards, bringing a little more perspective to each episode (which is nice). I never noticed how doomed Londo was from the get go...and he just makes choice after bad choice without any thought seemingly going into it. When the technomage scolds Londo at the end about darkness...and how warning him would do little good. There's just so many points for Londo to turn back, in which case he could be quite the hero, but it never happens.

Vir's bravery as he stands up to the technomages brings a smile to the face. Vir always is full of good surprises.

Everyone knows about the "Claudia broke her foot so it was written into the script" part. Clever.

This episode may be of some import to get acquainted wtih "technomages" and the beginning of their arc for TLT. Not too much detail given here, but it's their introduction.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

I don't mean to repeat what I said in the last episode...Revelations but Touche~

Again another memorable line in B5 from Elric the main technomage played by the great actor Michael Ansara who's been in so many memorable roles over the years including his other favorite as Kang from the Original Star Trek and Deep Space Nine series but again the memorable line.."I see a great hand reaching out from the stars." and of course Londo questions..my followers? and of course Elric says "your victims"

Londo in so many ways portrays the so many in everyone. The choices we make and the choices we don't make that lead on the road that either changes for good or for bad but either way we only have one life and we need to be careful with our choices.

Nothing else I need to add but again Geometry of Shadows doesn't have really anything to do with the Shadows themselves except the foreshadows which we see in Londo and his dream.

On it's own this episode isn't the greatest but the bits and pieces of the puzzle that add up make this still a very memorable one!

Alex
    "The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening main title narration from B5)

"Faith...Manages"--Delenn and Lennier from B5
    "Oh, boy, is this GReAT!!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House

V--"For Victory. Go tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
    myspace.com-babylon5fan07

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon5fan07
      ...Geometry of Shadows doesn't have really anything to do with the Shadows themselves....
      Though it's not revealed in the episode itself, the techno-mages are very, very much connected to the Shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by vacantlook View Post
        Though it's not revealed in the episode itself, the techno-mages are very, very much connected to the Shadows.
        Enlighten me and educate me perhaps I'm not quite understanding how or why?

I guess after watching B5 after all these years I'm still learning so please explain...I realize that they know the shadows are coming because Elric says the darkness is coming but still quite not sure what you mean by that. I do understand they play a role in the centauri trilogy but specifically here is what I don't understand.

Alex
        "The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening main title narration from B5)

"Oh, boy, is this GReAT!!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon5fan07 View Post
          Enlighten me and educate me perhaps I'm not quite understanding how or why?
          Spoilers for Crusade and the Techno-Mage trilogy (highlight to read):
          It's revealed in Crusade that the Techno-mages actually have bonded with some of their technology. Then, in the Techno-Mage trilogy, it's revealed that the tech that the mages use actually *is* Shadow technology.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Thanks Jan..Now I will have to find the time to read that trilogy...

I owe you one!

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon5fan07 View Post
              Thanks Jan..Now I will have to find the time to read that trilogy...

I owe you one!

Alex
              The Technogmage triliogy is very, very good.

I was able to get books 1 and 3 easily enough but found obtaining the 2nd instalment quite difficult. You'll probably come by "Summoning Light" second hand on ebay or amazon but be warned the sellers are usually looking for an inflated price as they know that it is now out of print.
              ________
              star craft replays
              Last edited by Carfin; 01-24-2011, 01:41 AM.
              Example of successful business on the Internet. http://firstmoneyblog.blogspot.com

Comment

RE Geometry of Shadows.

"Do not try the patience of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

A fantastic quote and one lesson Londo probably learned.

________
                gm foods
                Example of successful business on the Internet. http://firstmoneyblog.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't know whether to read the technomage trilogy or the centauri trilogy first!
                  Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                  True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                    I don't know whether to read the technomage trilogy or the centauri trilogy first!

Personally speaking, I have never went through three books as quickly as I did with the Centauri Trilogy.

Could not put them down.

An absolute fantastic read and if JMS is ever given carte blanche by WB to make a film trilogy then that would be what I'd like to see him spend the pennies on.
                    ________
                    essential vaaapp vaporizer

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                      Doesn't matter. You just have to keep in mind the years that both trilogies take place.

When, in the timeline, the books take place:

Babylon 5 Book #7 - The Shadow Within (11/2256 - 01/2257)
                      The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows (11/2258-12/31/2258)
                      The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light (1/2259-2/2259)
                      The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness (8/2260-2261)

Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime (2262-2266)
                      Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark (2266-2273)
                      Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness (2274-2278)
                      Peter David made a date error in the books. Dec. 14, 2267 should be Dec. 14, 2266.
                      All dates after that are off by 1 year, so you need to subtract 1.

Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps (2115-2189)
                      Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant (2189-2258)
                      ....B5 - "Mind War" - Bester leaves for B5.....*
                      Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester (2271-2281)

Babylon 5 Book #9 - To Dream in the City of Sorrows (Marcus in 10/2260, recalling events of 1/2259-9/2260)

*Note: The TV series "Babylon 5" chiefly takes place from 2258 to 2262.
                      Mac Breck (KoshN)
                      ------------------
                      Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                      JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                      Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by Carfin View Post
                        Personally speaking, I have never went through three books as quickly as I did with the Centauri Trilogy.

Could not put them down.
                        That was exactly my experience with the Technomage trilogy. The Centauri trilogy was second, and the Psi Corps trilogy was more of a slog.

An absolute fantastic read and if JMS is ever given carte blanche by WB to make a film trilogy then that would be what I'd like to see him spend the pennies on.
                        IMHO, both the Centauri and Technomage trilogies would make excellent 10 to 20 hour miniseries.
                        Mac Breck (KoshN)
                        ------------------
                        Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                        JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                        Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                          That was exactly my experience with the Technomage trilogy. The Centauri trilogy was second, and the Psi Corps trilogy was more of a slog.

IMHO, both the Centauri and Technomage trilogies would make excellent 10 to 20 hour miniseries.
                          Now we're talking.
                          ________
                          iphone jailbreak

Comment

Yeah, right after the "Teep War" feature film...!

But some miniseries, that's also quite cool... but let's see first what we get with TLT and what might follow the first DVD!

Comment

Originally posted by Morden View Post
                              ... but let's see first what we get with TLT and what might follow the first DVD!
                              Given that JMS has already said that he doesn't intend to do the directing on future TST instalments, thus reducing his workload in that reagrd, if TLT sells really well I imagine there is a very strong possibility that WB and JMS will be having another conversation along the "so ... what do you want to do next?" line in the reasonably near future, as well as hopefully greenlighting more TLT disks.
                              The Optimist: The glass is half full
                              The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                              The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Working...
                              X