Question regarding President Clark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
    Perhaps JMS got the idea of scorched earth from world war 2. Adolf Hitler had a project called "Verbrannte Erde" (= scorched earth) to destroy completely the own country when the war was lost. He also planed to detonate an a-bomb in the centre of Berlin - fortunately time and a lot of scientists were not on his side.
    He was far from the first one to come up with that idea. I know the Russians did it during the war with Napoleon and I'm sure they had done it before and maybe later as well.

Regards
    Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
    http://www.babcon.org/

Comment

Wikipedia's entry for "Scorched Earth" says that "two of the first uses of scorched earth recorded both happened in the Gallic Wars".

Comment

Originally posted by iamsheridan View Post
        He was far from the first one to come up with that idea. I know the Russians did it during the war with Napoleon and I'm sure they had done it before and maybe later as well.

Regards
        Different objective though, the Russians did it to deny Napoleon supplies were as Clark and Hitler did it to strike back at those who have failed or beaten them.
        Who are you?
        What do you want?
        What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless View Post
          Different objective though, the Russians did it to deny Napoleon supplies were as Clark and Hitler did it to strike back at those who have failed or beaten them.
          You know, I was thinking about writing something about that, but thought that it would not be necessary!

Thanks!
          Regards
          Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
          http://www.babcon.org/

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless View Post
            That's what I wanted to write too - thx ^^

Comment

No Keeper

There are two reasons I don't think President Clark had a keeper.

1) The Keepers were a product of the Drakh, not the Shadows. It would have put him under Drakh, not Shadow control. There is zero evidence in the series that the Shadows ever used a Drakh Keeper (although their allies did, notably with Captain Jack).

2) It would be against the Shadow's ethics to put him under their control. The Shadows always wanted people who were willing to cooperate with them. They always left people at least the illusion of freedom of choice (remember Morden talking to everyone before settling on Londo). Londo, Cartagia, Justin, Morden all cooperated by choice. The only time they used people against their will was to power their ships (Anna Sheridan, the psi-corp blips).

It was not control the Shadows wanted, it was conversion. They wanted people to choose them over the Vorlons. The only exception I can think of was what they might have done to Sheridan had he not been armed.

Say what you like about the tenets of National Shadowism. At least it's an ethos.
              Last edited by Hal_10000; 05-31-2007, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X