So...who is Sara Barnes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...who is Sara Barnes?

The Amazon.com listing for TLT has two directors, JMS and Sara Barnes. This is news to me. I wonder if this is an error. If not then does anybody know anything about her beyond the link provided at Amazon?

Originally posted by Tim_Fleming View Post
    The Amazon.com listing for TLT has two directors, JMS and Sara Barnes. This is news to me. I wonder if this is an error. If not then does anybody know anything about her beyond the link provided at Amazon?
    She is also known as Samm Barnes, if that is any help...
    Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
    http://www.babcon.org/

Comment

See her IMDB profile. Looking at that, I'd hazard a guess that she was working as a medic on Legend of the Rangers, and was somehow discovered by JMS, then wrote some episodes of Jeremiah. I also see she has done some Marvel comics work, again Joe-related (Doctor Spectrum: Full Spectrum, which is a Supreme Power spin-off, and also the Doctor Strange miniseries). She's credited as co-producer on TLT, and appears to have directed some of the extras.

Comment

I seem to remember Samm working in Vancouver for the Rangers movie and was obviously quite keen to move into other areas of production, which is how how she segued into Jeremiah. I know JMS gave her a helping hand somewhere, something he did with Fiona Avery some years before that on B5/Crusade, but bear in mind, even with somebody in your corner, you've got to come up with the goods at some point or you're not going to go any further.

Comment

I know that the scene in one of her Jeremiah scripts where Theo experiences working indoor plumbing for the first time is a classic.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

She is one of JMS' protoges along with my favorite Fiona Avery, who did some of the writing for Crusade. Both have worked with JMS in the comics realms as well.

Looks like you have to be a young female in order to be JMS' protoge. Should I start cross dressing?
            Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
            True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

So...who is Sara Barnes?
              In the immortal words of Cliff Clavin, someone who hasn't been in my kitchen
              ---
              Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
              www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                She is one of JMS' protoges along with my favorite Fiona Avery, who did some of the writing for Crusade. Both have worked with JMS in the comics realms as well.

Looks like you have to be a young female in order to be JMS' protoge. Should I start cross dressing?
                Just don't forget to shave.
                ---
                Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow
                  That comment would get a very strong response from JMS and it wouldn't be pleasant. As I recall, he mentioned that only (iirc) three of the dozen or so people he's mentored were female and seemed quite upset about that exact attitude.

Jan
                  Last edited by Jan; 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM.
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    That comment would get a very strong response from JMS and it wouldn't be pleasant. As I recall, he mentioned that only (iirc) three of the dozen or so people he's mentored were female and seemed quite upset about that exact attitude.

Jan
                    Why do you think I didn't post a comment like that to the newsgroups? <g>
                    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Well I chuckled. It clearly wasn't meant as a serious accusation, more of a 'man-in-drag' joke, which are always funny.

Unless you're the man in drag, and it actually happened, and people took pictures. I really shouldn't be allowed to drink tequila.

Comment

Barnes directed the video diary segments, in which JMS appears on-screen, hence her credit. Three of them have turned up on-line (not at the official WB site, which makes one wonder where they're coming from... )

"TLT CGI"

"The Reunion"

"The Aftermath"

Regards,

Joe
                        Joseph DeMartino
                        Sigh Corps
                        Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino View Post
                          (not at the official WB site, which makes one wonder where they're coming from... )
                          From WB; they're all three posted by official WB accounts at the respective video sharing websites if you look closely.

Comment

Viral Marketing of Video Diaries

Originally posted by Shabaz View Post
                            From WB; they're all three posted by official WB accounts at the respective video sharing websites if you look closely.
                            Looks like a viral marketing campaign to start with....

Lee
                            Webmaster
                            SFTV.org
                            B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

I note that the one on YouTube has been pulled already.

JMS, mistake?

Comment

Working...
                              X