looking for information on planet "below" babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for information on planet "below" babylon 5

Hello all Babylon 5 fans, I have recently for the first time viewed the entire 5 seasons of 22 episodes each. In viewing this series from the beginning to end, It has been a very enlightening experience.
    There is one issue I would like some information on and that is about the mysterious planet "below" Babylon 5. From what I gather is this planet hid a machine that interfaced with a live being. It's full purpose is a mystery to me as there is little mention of this planet after it's key role in its function of transporting Babylon 4 back in time. It is because of this that I am asking for some information about this planet if there is any.

Welcome, mcrandy!

You actually know about as much as we do. We know the Great Machine is 500 years old or more but we don't know for sure who built it. It may have been the race that Varn belonged to since we saw others of his kind in "A Voice in the Wilderness" but it's not certain.

It's possible that the Great Machine and Delenn's friend Draal would have had a bigger part in the story but after JMS recast the character once but ran into availability issues with the new actor, he had to pretty much drop that.

Anybody else remember anything I'm forgetting for the moment?

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I'v read a number of theories about the planet/great machine mcrandy but as far as I know none of them confirmed by JMS. A couple I can remember...

The machine was created by the Vorlons or a race working for them after they learned that Sinclair had used it to travel back in time.

Some kind of atmospheric disaster happened on the planet connected with the Vorlons/Shadows as you can see drainage channels on it suggesting a previously habitable atmosphere.
      Who are you?
      What do you want?
      What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless View Post
        Some kind of atmospheric disaster happened on the planet connected with the Vorlons/Shadows as you can see drainage channels on it suggesting a previously habitable atmosphere.
        And a mountain shaped like a giant Centauri face, no doubt..

Comment

I'd like to think Zathras built it with his brothers Zathras, Zathras and Zathras. lol

Jon
          Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
          True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I've laways thought - had the Sinclair threads stayed more intact the Great Machine may have played more of a roll in ending the Shadow War and establishing the Valen transformation later in the series. But - was not to be.

Also - I've not read the script books yet - so if JMS's written word contradicts that - sorry. Do not know - so can not say.

Fred
            I am a man of a not insignificant build. Standing 6'1, 205 lbs with a good more of that muscle than chub. Aged some 36 years, I can - if I choose - put on an imposing aura. There are - however - 22 words that can reduce me to a quivering mass of weeping tears. A pitiful semblance of a 5 year old boy who just watched his puppy get ran over in the street. Those words? - As for Delenn, every morning for as long as she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
              I'd like to think Zathras built it with his brothers Zathras, Zathras and Zathras. lol

Jon
              Rubbish, Zathras was bone idle so if any work was done is would have been by Zathras, Zathras and maybe Zathras.
              Who are you?
              What do you want?

Comment

but not Zathras. He never had the work ethic of Zathras.

The planet was named Epsilon Eridani, and I know JMS tried to be as "factual" as possible in creating the series...is Epsilon Eridani a real star system, and if so, where is it?

As far as the great machine goes, the Darkness and Light player handbook (here I go again) claims it was built by agents of the Vorlons. Until JMS tells me differently, I'll believe that.
                Million-year old transcendent civilisations debating the fate of the galaxy use phrases like 'screw both of 'em?'

I said is was an analogy. According to the organic memory cells found on the Trieste Derelict in 10,033AZ, what they actually said was 'Zog both of them.'

I think the solar flares are affecting you again.

Less than four hours until Sol goes Zog!

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin_S View Post
                  The planet was named Epsilon Eridani, and I know JMS tried to be as "factual" as possible in creating the series...is Epsilon Eridani a real star system, and if so, where is it?
                  Right Here ...

And it is the star that is called Epsilon Eridani, not the planet ... the planet is Epsilon 3. Presumably because it is the third planet in the star's planetary system.

Much like us!

The Optimist: The glass is half full
                  The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                  The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

ok so this is a part of the thread in a way.

The great machine was been online for a very long time. I seem to remember a character ( not sure if it was Zathrus or not) saying that it has recorded history for a very long time. ( Could be the care taker as well ) Now was it the great machine that was there to record the taking on B4 back a 1000 years so that the Membari could turn the tied and win the war.

I recall Deleen and Sheridan seeing a clip from the oldest recorded archived tape that the Membari have that was over 900 years old. We could plainly see a WhiteStar in the past.

Does anyone know when the great machine was actually activated?

Or are we still in the Dark on that one?
                    The years is 2260 and this is the story of the last of the Babylon stations

Comment

Thank you all for the reply's, I was thinking I had missed something, and after re-viewing all five seasons I have a better understanding of the (Great Machine).
                      The planet, Epsilon 3 is also named, Euphrates, Zathras was one of ten brothers. The one brother, Zathras that helped send Babylon 4 to the past was also the oldest cartaker of the great machine. He stated he was 110 yrs old.
                      The Great Machine's main purpose I have come to realize was to enact time travel of B-4 to the past and it also provided power for comunications for Babylon 5. They used the great machine to boost the transmission of "voice of the resistance" from Babylon 5. As Draal gave Babylon 5 the use of the machine, I believe it has other potential means if the story would be continued past the 5 seasons.
                      Babylon 5 story is one that I will enjoy viewing over and over again! I for one crave for more.

Comment

Originally posted by mcrandy View Post
                        The Great Machine's main purpose I have come to realize was to enact time travel of B-4 to the past and it also provided power for comunications for Babylon 5. They used the great machine to boost the transmission of "voice of the resistance" from Babylon 5. As Draal gave Babylon 5 the use of the machine, I believe it has other potential means if the story would be continued past the 5 seasons.
                        From the Vorlon's perspective I'd guess it was built with the purpose of doing everything it did up to and including B4's trip though time. After that they would have had no knowledge of the future.
                        Who are you?
                        What do you want?

Comment

Working...
                        X