No announcement yet.

Group Watch: Mind War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never could tell the difference between Sinclair and Sheridan. Ah wait, Sinclair was the guy with gray hair, wasn't he?

No, really. They both solved problems by following the book, but bending the rules to suit themselves (or, rather, the current cause). For instance the way in which the problems with the dockworkers was solved. Can't think of any more right now, but wasn't it Sinclair who said something like "Don't give a man a gun if you don't want him to use it"? Or was it Sheridan...?
    Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
    http://www.babcon.org/

Comment

Surely a big part of Sheridan's story arc was his change from a fairly shallow, military-type with a tactical mind and a big grin to a more rounded, more 3 dimensional character through seasons 2-5.

The Sheridan of S2 could not have been President of the Alliance, and his move from military man to diplomat was handled very well (IMO), culminating in the military man coming starkly back into focus when the dam burst in the council meeting and he "agreed" to take the ISA into war with the Centauri.

I also can't see the Sheridan of Points of Departure breaking away from Earth and declaring B5 independent.

He was certainly not as rounded as G'Kar or Londo, but he was clearly a deeper and more rounded character by the time of Objects at Rest than he was in Points of Departure, and I always figured that that was the point.

I think it is also a sign of good writing that these changes can happen without them having to be pointed out, thrown in your face or otherwise marked with a huge, glow in the dark, highlight. The changes in Sheridan's character happened subtly, and came naturally as a consequence of his experiences through the story.
      The Optimist: The glass is half full
      The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
      The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
        Surely a big part of Sheridan's story arc was his change from a fairly shallow, military-type with a tactical mind and a big grin to a more rounded, more 3 dimensional character through seasons 2-5.

The Sheridan of S2 could not have been President of the Alliance, and his move from military man to diplomat was handled very well (IMO), culminating in the military man coming starkly back into focus when the dam burst in the council meeting and he "agreed" to take the ISA into war with the Centauri.

I also can't see the Sheridan of Points of Departure breaking away from Earth and declaring B5 independent.

He was certainly not as rounded as G'Kar or Londo, but he was clearly a deeper and more rounded character by the time of Objects at Rest than he was in Points of Departure, and I always figured that that was the point.

I think it is also a sign of good writing that these changes can happen without them having to be pointed out, thrown in your face or otherwise marked with a huge, glow in the dark, highlight. The changes in Sheridan's character happened subtly, and came naturally as a consequence of his experiences through the story.
        I will concede to your point fine sir!
        Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Working...
        X