Group Watch: Infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Watch: Infection

I...actually haven't watched this one yet and am going to when i get home, just figured it's time to start a thred for it. Someone else gets to make a good summary post to start us off this time.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

I'm ashamed to say that this oft panned episode is the reason I got into B5. I think I'd watched part of one of the earlier episodes but what really grabbed me wasnt the characters or the story but the art design of the creature/weapon, hey I was 14 at the time.
    Who are you?
    What do you want?
    What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

You know... as jms has said, this episode really just is some story with a big guy in a rubber suit. There's no way of getting around that and on some level that means it's always going to be a pretty terrible episode.

But I don't really dislike this one.

I mean, the plot line is atrocious, the artifact guy is goofy... there's a thousand reasons to dislike it. I'll give at least two reasons why it's not so terrible.

I like that it introduces one of the fundamental themes to B5: that when you're obsessed with the enemy you become the enemy. And to throw that out there so early on is an interesting trick, because when all is said and done, it gives this episode a bit more weight.

Second, the last five minutes for me are just killer. The conversation between Garibaldi and Sinclair is a fantastic scene, and it's one that sets B5 apart from other shows before it; you didn't have this type of talk with that subject matter with your *main* character. And it's a great conversation that really establishes the relationship between these two characters.

And not only that, but that conversation also establishes *another* fundamental theme to the show: that it's easier to find something worth dying for then something worth living for. And man does that bit come back in a big way.

So, yes, it's a flawed B5 S1 episode, and one of the worst JMS scripts. But you know, it's just... it's got these nuances to it that I really appreciate, and it's those special touches that allow me to really enjoy Season 1, which is one of my favourite seasons to watch... probably something that has not really come across in my previous posts, but it's true and it'll come up more as we go along.

Comment

My wife and I still have to watch this episode but for now being that I've already seen this it's pretty much a character development episode and nothing to do with the arc. I will let you guys know later on what my wife thinks but overall for me there's nothing spectacular about this one. I will watch it with her but on my own I've found myself kind of bored. Don't get me wrong the special effects are very well done and watch the guys turn into a creature of some sorts is really cool but also I think being that I've seen this episode 4 times in my life already it's pretty much something that I don't need to see over and over because even though it's brought up later on down the road during the 5 seasons I already know. I wouldn't necessarily call this filler but it is to me a stand alone episode and also the other good thing is that we get to see Dr. Franklin interact with someone he has known.

I know my best friend Dustin likes this episode because of the creature and the whole background story of the alien race but again it's kind of blah for me as a whole. I'm looking forward to watching it with my wife but other than that I'm ready for Parliament of Dreams.

Alex
        "The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening main title narration from B5)

"Faith...Manages"--Delenn and Lennier from B5
        "Oh, boy, is this GReAT!!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House

V--"For Victory. Go tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
        myspace.com-babylon5fan07

Comment

Yeah, upon watching this last night I wasn't so thrilled by it. I think I'm just going to move on to the next episode because I think everything to be said was said in the scriptbook for this one.
          True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I've never understood the negativity that gets heaped onto Infection. There are so many less enjoyable episodes than this, most of them in season 5. Perhaps it's more mindless entertainment than typical B5 fare, but I still find it entertaining. Also remember that this is the first B5 episode filmed, and Richard Biggs' first days on the job. He makes a flying start, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RMcD View Post
              I've never understood the negativity that gets heaped onto Infection. There are so many less enjoyable episodes than this, most of them in season 5. Perhaps it's more mindless entertainment than typical B5 fare, but I still find it entertaining. Also remember that this is the first B5 episode filmed, and Richard Biggs' first days on the job. He makes a flying start, I think.

Spoilers:

Not sure if I'm in the minority or not but I thought the 5th season was great! I loved every episode of Season 5 from beginning to finish. 5th season was one of my favorites. I loved watching the tragic ending to Londo's career by taken over by the keeper and seeing the whole saga of the telepaths and further stories involving Bester. Again I know people don't like season 5 but I loved each season the way JMS intended the way the saga he wanted as far as story arc % goes. I just don't like Infection. I easily get bored with it and find myself wanting to do something else.

Alex
              "The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening main title narration from B5)

"Oh, boy, is this GReAT!!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon5fan07 View Post
                Not sure if I'm in the minority or not but I thought the 5th season was great! I loved every episode of Season 5 from beginning to finish. 5th season was one of my favorites. I loved watching the tragic ending to Londo's career by taken over by the keeper and seeing the whole saga of the telepaths and further stories involving Bester. Again I know people don't like season 5 but I loved each season the way JMS intended the way the saga he wanted as far as story arc % goes. I just don't like Infection. I easily get bored with it and find myself wanting to do something else.

Alex
                The 5th season certainly had alot of episodes better than Infection but for me the non arc episodes(many of which JMS didnt original plan to include) were less interesting than those in season 1. Espeically viewing them in retrospect the first season episodes have the extra weight of the coming arcs and IMHO more interesting characters.
                Who are you?
                What do you want?
                What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless View Post
                  The 5th season certainly had alot of episodes better than Infection but for me the non arc episodes(many of which JMS didnt original plan to include) were less interesting than those in season 1. Espeically viewing them in retrospect the first season episodes have the extra weight of the coming arcs and IMHO more interesting characters.
                  Even though they weren't planned out as much as he hoped compared to the first season all the episodes really gripped me in the 5th season. I realize the first season is character development but I really really dig the 5ths season..I guess I'm taking the 5th season with the grain of salt. But not to say all the episodes after Infection weren't good because overall they were but I guess by the time we get to the 5th season we have the characters developed in place so I know what to expect from them.

Alex

Comment

When I first watched this back in what 93 or 94? I was really impressed with the quality of the suit. It's very seamless, not having the 'costume' look of other TV creatures *cough ZERG cough zerg*.

Some of the things I love about this ep is it's one of the first to really center on Franklin. It shows the giddy school boy aspect of figuring out a puzzle for the sake of the answer - consequences be dammed.

On the more subtle side - it also does a good job of laying some more texture on the B5 universe. It re-enforces that life still works on a market economy. Franklins old professor NEEDS MONEY to get a good ship and to do digs where HE wants.

It also briefly introduces the Vorlons as the top of the tech food chain when it's established they have organic tech.

And as said above - the ending with Garibaldi and Sinclair. Pitch perfect writing and acting. This ep gets a bum wrap IMHO.

Fred
                    I am a man of a not insignificant build. Standing 6'1, 205 lbs with a good more of that muscle than chub. Aged some 36 years, I can - if I choose - put on an imposing aura. There are - however - 22 words that can reduce me to a quivering mass of weeping tears. A pitiful semblance of a 5 year old boy who just watched his puppy get ran over in the street. Those words? - As for Delenn, every morning for as long as she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up

Comment

Originally posted by FredScuttle View Post
                      SSome of the things I love about this ep is it's one of the first to really center on Franklin. It shows the giddy school boy aspect of figuring out a puzzle for the sake of the answer - consequences be dammed.
                      You know, upon watching futher into the first season, I'm noticing there's not too many episodes that really feature franklin.

Comment

Working...
                      X