No announcement yet.

Mongoose B5 novels no more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jan, I'm sure I've told this story before, but I remember sitting outside the back door of the studio with Bruce Boxleitner during the filming of 'A Call to Arms,' and there was certainly no mistaking his disappointment at the time. I know that it would be easy to inject certain emotions in hindsight where in fact none existed, but as anybody who knew Bruce would tell you, he was the show's biggest cheerleader from day one, and always went out of his way to support and promote B5, even hiring his own publicist to do so. He was always a hugely classy guy and rarely spoke ill of anybody, even when he could have had plenty of reason to do so. That's why it was easy to see how upset he was at the time, and why I assume the wounds were still relatively fresh.

Comment

Well really not interested in carrying over any debate of whether these series of books were squashed, squished or mocked at... however having had the chance to read a manuscript of Claudia's Baptism of Fire I have to say it's a huge loss not having it see print. CC has very wonderfully written this with a lot of care for the Ivanova character through the book, as well as the rest of the B5 characters in the opening chapters.

Whether it would be classed as canon or not by JMS, it's a damn interested story to read. And isn't that the only important thing when it comes to story telling? That's it's fun, interesting and in-character?

Comment

Is Claudia's online?
        Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Whatever actually happened, surely CC is "mistaken" for claiming that JMS squashed the book, since he does not own the rights and has absolutely no control over it.

Given Mr Sprange's previous attitude to these novels, I would have thought he would have been jumping up and down and crying foul if WB had pulled the plug at this point ... and they are, after all, the only ones who could have even tried to pull it.

Perhaps the editors at Mongoose read the manuscripts, decided they just weren't up to snuff and decided to cancel the series ... and perhaps we will just never know.

Sounds more like CC still attempting to grind the same old axe to me.
          The Optimist: The glass is half full
          The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
          The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
            Given Mr Sprange's previous attitude to these novels, I would have thought he would have been jumping up and down and crying foul if WB had pulled the plug at this point ... and they are, after all, the only ones who could have even tried to pull it.
            FWIW, I emailed Mr. Sprange after I heard about the announcement and he declined to talk about what happened. Whatever did or didn't happen, he's looking forward to the next project.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
            X