No announcement yet.

Lost Tales Date and Artwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid that with the data we have, there's no way I know to know how many units have been bought. The sales rank is in comparison to other DVDs.

I'm not sure that the price comparison made by nottenst is completely accurate, though. Not all, certainly, but a large percentage of people who buy movies on DVD have already seen it in the theater. So when you add the cost of a movie ticket to the DVD you purchased, that's the true cost of owning that movie.

Anyway, who pays the MSRP??

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_librarian View Post
      To be fair, Warners gave him a nice budget, and full creative control of The Lost Tales, and a lot of freedom over the original B5 after season 2. Check his first posts on TLT for this. Hopefully, this is proof that is a good thing, and they don't take it away. And direct to DVD neatly sidesteps all that demographics and advertising malarky.
      Kewl. To start out with a nice budget, control and freedom for a series of direct to dvd movies with some expectations of getting their investments back is a good thing, but if this turns out to be something way beyond their expectationsà they may lean towards reviving the "The Memory of Shadows" movie that was canceled and maybe more moviesà Can we hope for a Prequel with Valen???

Originally posted by Lunan View Post
      its b5, i have no problem tossing 20 bucks out there for it, even if it stinks (not that i expect it to) now if our mathmaticaly inclined forum members wish to figure out about how much money has been pre-ordered from amazon on this i think it would be interesting to see (oh this is cheaper then harry potter and the deathly hollows)
      Interesting how much money they have made so far without advertising (video/print/audio) JMS must be a happy man right now.
      "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

I lack a credit card, so I don't do the amazon route. But I will be impatiently waiting for July so I can get a copy.

In Memphis, there's hardly any B5 fans so I won't have a problem.

As for the "lack of special features", new B5 is a special feature for me
        RIP Coach Larry Finch
        Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
        Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Originally posted by rallytbk View Post
          they may lean towards reviving the "The Memory of Shadows" movie that was canceled and maybe more movies…
          Just to be clear, WB wanted this project to be a movie originally, it is JMS who pushed for doing a smaller project, mostly because he didn't feel like doing something big after Andreas Katsulas and Richard Biggs passed away. As for TMoS, this wasn't a WB project as far as I know. The movie rights is actually one of the few things that is in the hands of JMS, and I believe it was some UK based company that pursued that project with him.
          Last edited by Shabaz; 04-26-2007, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabaz View Post
            As for TMoS, this wasn't a WB project as far as I know. The movie rights is actually one of the few things that is in the hands of JMS, and I believe it was some UK based company that pursued that project with him.
            TMoS was definitely not a WB project and if they wanted to revive that particular project they'd have to buy it from the person/company (I never did have that part straight) who had optioned the rights and commissioned the script from JMS.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Just looked on Amazon 3:00 Pm Tuesday the 8th Mai and B5 now holds rank 4 in the SF section. In the overall scheme of movies ( all catagories ) B5 is ranked at 30. This is really impressive for a rank that high for a direct to TV DVD. Rank 30 and it is competing against a few heavy weights.

Very nice Job there for all the people that pre-ordered the DVD.

Another issue that I think need to be brought to light is that even though the DVD sales have been doing well for B5 , they still have not paid back all of there production costs for seasons 1-5 yet. Now this is info that I had from a while back but I still think that they were $500,000 US short of being in the black. Lets hope that everything goes well and that the future of B5 is secure.

Tiamat
              Last edited by Tiamat126; 05-08-2007, 12:30 PM.
              The years is 2260 and this is the story of the last of the Babylon stations

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat126 View Post
                Just looked on Amazon 3:00 Pm Tuesday the 8th Mai and B5 now holds rank 4 in the SF section. In the overall scheme of movies ( all catagories ) B5 is ranked at 30. This is really impressive for a rank that high for a direct to TV DVD. Rank 30 and it is competing against a few heavy weights.

Very nice Job there for all the people that pre-ordered the DVD.

Another issue that I think need to be brought to light is that even though the DVD sales have been doing well for B5 , they still have not paid back all of there production costs for seasons 1-5 yet. Now this is info that I had from a while back but I still think that they were $500,000 US short of being in the red. Lets hope that everything goes wee and that the future of B5 is secure.

Tiamat

You mean in the black . JMS addressed this a couple of years ago, and I know Jan will be posting a quote shortly regarding that lol....but that number is very skewed because of the way that movie production companies are allowed to expense different items. The accounting includes money they lost on less successful projects that get transfered over to the more successful B5. I'm not sure how it's done, but as I said, JMS did go into detail about it.

In short, B5 has made them a LOT of money. That's why they're making the new DVD.
                Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Yeah, the "in the red" is a sham, pure and simple. Pay no attention to the accountants behind the curtain.

Put it this way - the B5 season sets were some of the highest selling TV show DVDs, only outstripped by mere diamond classics like original Star Trek and the occasional modern gem like Buffy (I've no figures, but I'm good at guessing, and I believe the word is well above "Hundreds of millions in revenue"). Joe also shot on a budget about half of that of any other sci-fi then running.

Do your own math.
                  Last edited by Radhil; 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM.
                  Radhil Trebors
                  Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                    You mean in the black . JMS addressed this a couple of years ago, and I know Jan will be posting a quote shortly regarding that lol....but that number is very skewed because of the way that movie production companies are allowed to expense different items.
                    You mean like this from the last San Diego Comic Con?
                    Every so often, Warner Bros. calls me up and ôWe have to do something with Babylon 5.ö ItÆs usually like Lucy and the football, you get up there and itÆs not there anymore. They made half a billion dollars on the DVDsàthatÆs with a Bàand my profit statement still says 50 million dollars in the red, by the way. We needed a hundred million to make the show, 50 million in the red, theyÆve made half a billion on the DVDsàI donÆt think so. I mentioned that to the Warner Bros. guys at a recent meeting. ôHow come IÆm still 50 million dollars in the red and youÆre making half a billion in profits?ö WB Guys: ôWe made a really good deal, didnÆt we?ö
                    Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      You mean like this from the last San Diego Comic Con?

Every so often, Warner Bros. calls me up and ôWe have to do something with Babylon 5.ö ItÆs usually like Lucy and the football, you get up there and itÆs not there anymore. They made half a billion dollars on the DVDsàthatÆs with a Bàand my profit statement still says 50 million dollars in the red, by the way. We needed a hundred million to make the show, 50 million in the red, theyÆve made half a billion on the DVDsàI donÆt think so. I mentioned that to the Warner Bros. guys at a recent meeting. ôHow come IÆm still 50 million dollars in the red and youÆre making half a billion in profits?ö WB Guys: ôWe made a really good deal, didnÆt we?ö

Jan
                      I mean exactly like that from the last San Diego Comic Con.

One of these days I'll actually look these up myself...but it's so fun to watch the quote magically appear 5 minutes after my post.

Jon
                      Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                        One of these days I'll actually look these up myself...but it's so fun to watch the quote magically appear 5 minutes after my post.
                        You're spoiled rotten is what you're saying.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow View Post
                          I lack a credit card, so I don't do the amazon route. But I will be impatiently waiting for July so I can get a copy.
                          Amazon does have some sort of option to snail mail payments. I've never used it myself, but it sounds (in theory) fairly straight forward, and in this case, time is not an issue.

Personally, I'm planning to buy at brick&mortar (BB), so I'll be certain that I get it release day, and can start pumping it to friends. I'm considering an Amazon order of a gift copy, solely to do my bit to crank up the numbers.

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow
                          As for the "lack of special features", new B5 is a special feature for me
                          Perfect!

P.S. Thanks Jan et al for this site! I've been lurking for 3+ years, and it's been the most efficient (the non-Earthforce kind) source of B5 info that I've found.
                          Last edited by Chipmunk; 05-09-2007, 03:33 PM.
                          It was important, Dumbledore said, to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then could evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated...
                          - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Comment

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow View Post
                            I lack a credit card, so I don't do the amazon route.
                            Debit Cards with the Mastercard or Visa symbol on them also work. I don't use credit cards, and pre-ordered my four using my debit card. When the release date comes, they'll post the charge, and it'll just come out of my checking account. Works very well.
                            Mac Breck (KoshN)
                            ------------------
                            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                            Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Working...
                            X