Group Watch: The Gathering (DVD Movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
    I must say though, what strikes me so much about this episode (while reading along with the scriptbook of course) is how much changed in the process and how much further changed as it went to series. Comparing the pilot to something like Encounter at Farpoint, the TNG pilot, I felt like the show really didn't get much of a makeover between the pilot and the actual series. Babylon 5 seemed to work out the kinks.
    I'd say that ended up being a very big positive as however much a writter may plan theres nothing like actually filming something to see what works and what doesnt.

TNG was stuck trying to recreate the original series adverturous tone for almost two seasons before Picard and Data really stepped out as moral centers to build stories around. While B5 might not have rushed out of the gate I'd say that bar the Sinclair/Talia changes JMS had a much better idea the direction he wanted to take each character.
    Who are you?
    What do you want?
    What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by vacantlook View Post
      I'd have to watch it again to sure up my memory, but I'm pretty sure that when we see Lyta and G'Kar together when G'Kar mentions the "complications" that it wasn't Lyta, it was the Minbari assassin using the changeling net to look like her.
      Of course! That makes sense. The fake Lyta appears in Medlab shortly thereafter.
      I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

[QUOTE=grumbler;36898]
        It is rather peculiar that G'Kar would one minute be trying to convince Delenn that Londo had try to assassinate Kosh, and then shortly thereafter try to convince her that it was Sinclair! Despite this clear evidence that he is just playing games, she abstains from the vote to indict.
        [QUOTE]

Indeed. G'kar over the seasons seems to undergo more changes as a character than anyone else in the show, in my opinion. He starts out as just this hostile, abrasive lizard thing, which gets a little toned down as season one goes on, but in the first episode it's especially clear. We don't really get to see the good in him until later. Such an interesting character, and great actor.

Jon
        Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by vacantlook View Post
          I'd have to watch it again to sure up my memory, but I'm pretty sure that when we see Lyta and G'Kar together when G'Kar mentions the "complications" that it wasn't Lyta, it was the Minbari assassin using the changeling net to look like her.
          I agree with you there. The assassin was probably casting doubts on Lyta's character because he was afraid she might actually see through him.

I didn't like Steward Copeland's music either but I still haven't found the Franke version. Is it actually available in Region 2?
          Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
          John Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by DeMonk View Post
            I agree with you there. The assassin was probably casting doubts on Lyta's character because he was afraid she might actually see through him.

I didn't like Steward Copeland's music either but I still haven't found the Franke version. Is it actually available in Region 2?
            I think not - go buy the RC1 one.
            My UHD, Blu-Ray and DVD Collection

Comment

Note: Music CDs are not area coded.
              Andrew Swallow

Comment

Another point I would make is that the filmed version (even the first one) is so much better than the writers draft script in the script books. JMS had developed as a writer between finishing the writers/sales draft and actually doing the pilot. The shift from the shapeshifter being an alien critter to a Minbari saboteur was pretty key, and Kosh's "life-mate" really only existed for a single scene.

That left the absurdity of G'Kar (of all "people") being accepted without question as the one able to cast the Voron vote in the council, of course, but one cannot make an omelet without breaking a few logical eggs.
                I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow View Post
                  Note: Music CDs are not area coded.
                  Well, I'd like to see you watch the DVD with Copeland's music and listen to Franke's CD meanwhile. Filmmusic is somewhat integrated in the movie.
                  Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
                  John Sheridan

Comment

I have a feeling that the original no-frills disc was the re-editted version (but I bought R1 in order to do my bit for the cause so can't say for certain).

The R1 movie boxset also has it, although R2 doesn't (that still bugs me!). However, I assume the Complete B5 Universe set has it. That, however, would be an expensive way to get one movie.

The Optimist: The glass is half full
                    The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                    The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                      Another point I would make is that the filmed version (even the first one) is so much better than the writers draft script in the script books. JMS had developed as a writer between finishing the writers/sales draft and actually doing the pilot. The shift from the shapeshifter being an alien critter to a Minbari saboteur was pretty key, and Kosh's "life-mate" really only existed for a single scene.

That left the absurdity of G'Kar (of all "people") being accepted without question as the one able to cast the Voron vote in the council, of course, but one cannot make an omelet without breaking a few logical eggs.
                      Yeah ,that makes a really good point. I definitely think JMS grew a lot in this process, and throughout the series as a whole even. It'd be impossible not to when writing that many stories every year haha.
                      Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Working...
                      X