No announcement yet.

The Claudia Situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I just point out for the millionth time here that JMS does not have the legal authority to 'squash' a licensed property? Yes, he is free to express his own opinion, and if he thinks the product in question is not necessarily in keeping with his vision of B5, he's perfectly within his rights to say so. If Mongoose has decided not to publish these books, that's a matter for Mongoose and WB to discuss between themselves.

Comment

Yes it did. A newsletter that is supposed to go out to people who [I]like[I] her. Not people who are willing to use every word as an opportunity to overanalyze her. And she also isn't the one who [I]writes[I] the newsletter. I have the great priviledge and honor to know the one that does. What you all here have been reading into her words, she never intended. In fact, a follow up newsletter has already been sent out apologizing for the phrasing. It was a miscommunication with the publisher. Why does it matter so much to you what role JMS had in this? That's his business! It seems a little much to spend so much time picking a part one sentence don't you think? I would also point out that nothing in the sentence or two he used to respond is denying any involvement on his part. He's just saying it's not personal. Why spend so much time and effort sitting her and analyzing two tiny tidbits of information from either side and pouring so much more into them than there is? Claudia has written three more books since then. Joe has his big projects he's working on. They aren't the ones feuding here. They actually have lives.

Comment

Joe, you're right. The problem was that the publisher told them otherwise. Some people have told me JMS might have been brought in for advisory and his negative opinion might have been why they decided to pull the books. That may or may not be true. That's between the parties involved. All that really matters now is that Claudia has put her book away and moved on to other things. The newsletter was really just to let folks that were still asking about it constantly that it was not coming out. It might have been phrased differently, sure, that's probably true. But an apology has been sent.

Comment

Nova, I'm not arguing that whatever happened is between WB and Mongoose. You have to realize, though, that the newsletter went out and from there it was quoted in a number of other places including a Yahoo group for a major convention. Several days after the newsletter came out and was quoted, a fan asked JMS about it directly on the moderated newsgroup. That's been something B5 fans have been able to do since back in 1991. It's simply natural to assume that if somebody makes a claim about JMS, he'll be asked about it and might just answer.

It's not that the newsletter fell into the hands of somebody who doesn't like Claudia and it's not entirely about the history between Claudia and JMS. Another factor is the issues between Mongoose and JMS which was also very public.

I'm certain that whoever did the newsletter didn't mean any harm and if you like (and get permission from the writer) you're very welcome to repost here whatever correction was sent out. Because it's unfortunate that corrections never seem to get the same coverage as the original articles.

As for why things get analysed to a fair-thee-well, I think it's because fans are looking for reasons to *hope* that Claudia might appear in future Lost Tales disks. When JMS first announced the project last year the *very first* question was whether Ivanova might be seen. They're looking for any hint, any indication at all that she's interested and/or that JMS is willing.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Jan, I do understand that it was posted everywhere. The problem is that it was taken not only out of context but also blown way out of proportion. It should never have gotten that far. Claudia herself had no knowledge of what was said until now when it's become a new mess for her to be questioned about. I am glad that Joe said what he said. I don't have time to post the followup newsletter now because I'm at work but I will later. As for lost tales... guys, I would LOVE to see it happen as much as anyone else. But I HIGHLY DOUBT it will. That doesn't mean she doesn't love the show or the fans or whatever. She would get back in uniform in a second if she was asked. I just don't think the asking is going to come. Which also isn't to say Joe would not ask for personal grudge reasons. Just that with everything that's happened and all these years... I think they'd both rather just play it safe. Know what I mean?

Comment

Had it not been for the newsletter I would have assumed that either Mongoose was done with their licensing with WB or at the very least pushed their novels to a later date like after Babylon 5 ôThe Lost Talesö was released to coincide with their releases to make more money. Now it is a gabfest and it looks like alot of people are going to get hurt...

Note: Matthew Sprange - Mongoose Publishing posted that Mongoose has dropped the entire (Babylon 5) novels project in a thread labeled ôWhatever happened to the B5 novels??ö on MongooseÆs board on the 23 April 2007 and Claudia ChristianÆs email Newsletter snowballed from there.

ThatÆs why sometimes a person has to write ôtheyö, ôthemö and use the term ôhigher upsö to describe people without giving too much away as to whom you were referring to.

i.e. I lost my job because THEY said I made a mistakeà

i.e. THEY understand the mistake, all is forgiven.
              Last edited by rallytbk; 05-07-2007, 12:16 PM.
              "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Ahhhh who needs work anyway? Here you guys go. The memoir book, life with Geeks and Freaks... is REALLY funny and has NOTHING to do with the feud at all. Just talks about her experiences as an actress in the sci fi world.

"Hi All, In my last newsletter I posted that JMS squashed the B5 book Baptism by Fire. I have now learned that it wasn't just her book, but it was the entire line of Babylon 5 Books sent forth by Mongoose Publishing. So just to let people know she did not get singled out. I try not to misinform folks but sometimes it happens and this was the case this time. I do apologize for any confusion this may have caused. However, that being said her latest book My Life with Geeks and Freaks is a funny book that I'm sure all of you will enjoy reading.

I would like to thank all the people who wrote in and ordered her first short story. The orders were overwhelming and I did sell all the copies within 24 hours and I sent an email to those folks confirming their order. Unfortunately I did not have enough books to fulfill all the orders so I have ordered some more and set up a special order form so you can order either book. All you have to do is go to the home page and click on the cover you are interested in. All of the instructions are on the page and if you don't have paypal then you can email me and we can do a money order. For those who preorder My Life with Geeks and Freaks, it will ship in June and we have 100 copies and with this new system ordering will be easy for everyone. (A big thanks to Caroline who set up the entire ordering system for both books!)

Again I do apologize for the misinformation regarding the B5 book but I hope you all will give her new books a try. Thanks for staying tuned in!"

Comment

For those interested, the link for ordering Claudia's book or short story is http://claudiachristian.net/home.htm

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I notice that the "apology" still makes it seem as if JMS were responsible for the "squashing". Now it's for the whole line, though. And nova, before you start going off about this, please note that no one is criticizing CC. You seem to believe she needs defending from these hordes of rabid JMS fans. She does not. Until JMS let us know that the quality of the books did not come up to his standards, I think many of us would have purchased the books. We all want new stories in the B5 universe. You seem to be making this into an us against CC feud. It isn't. Please stay calm and realize that we will discuss this because the interested parties made it public and we are interested. Telling us to stop discussing something because you personally feel it is inappropriate is not really the way to go.

Comment

I'm perfectly calm. I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. No not everyone is against CC but there has been some criticism on both sides. And in general, more has been made out of it than ever existed. I am also not telling anyone to do anything. I can't control anyone. I merely expressed an opinion. I would think we all have enough drama of our own in our lives. I know I do.

Comment

That being said, I respectfully withdraw from that discussion as I have nothing left to say on the matter. And there are so many other FUN things to talk about for B5 this year! Like Lost Tales... how come someone kinda made it sound like Jerry Doyle bailed on the project? I thought Joe said they just put the Garibaldi part off until later because it was too.. I don't know... long or big or something? Did I miss a memo?

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
                          Like Lost Tales... how come someone kinda made it sound like Jerry Doyle bailed on the project? I thought Joe said they just put the Garibaldi part off until later because it was too.. I don't know... long or big or something? Did I miss a memo?
                          There may have been some misunderstanding there, too, Nova. From what I gather, Jerry was slated for the third segment of this first Lost Tales disk but after JMS got his crew gathered together they realized that three was just too many right out the gate and so they postponed that segment until, potentially, the next one.

The next bit I got directly from Jerry's radio show. It would seem that he was actually still trying to negotiate a contract to appear in this disk when the above decission was made and so the offer was withdrawn. He did some talking (and I'm convinced that's all it was) about suing WB for breach of contract even though there was no contract at that point.

Naturally, since sales of this first Lost Tales disk will determine whether there are any future ones, WB couldn't offer him or even really discuss any future work and I gather Jerry's nose, at that point, was out of joint. He also seemed to think it was because of his political leanings which sounded pretty paranoid to me.

What this means for his appearance in future Lost Tales disks? Who knows? Once again, all anybody will know is whatever comes out in public. I think we're all hoping that he'll be willing to do it if it's offered. Heaven knows that he and JMS have fussed before.

Sigh...the trouble so often seems to be that protocol is so rigid in Hollyweird that nobody ever actually *talks* to each othere!

Jan

Comment

Sigh...the trouble so often seems to be that protocol is so rigid in Hollyweird that nobody ever actually *talks* to each other!

AMEN!!!!

Ahh, yeah that sounds paranoid. haha. But then again... is he really that far from his B5 character? Lovably paranoid and compulsive? hehehe. Oh who knows! We're just happy to get what we get, eh? And this long after B5 has ended, we're doing damn good to get anything I'd say! Cheers to the best show ever! Did anyone else notice that the Star Trek dynasty kinda..collapsed after B5? Did Joe simply show the world how much better sci fi could be or what? I say this because, to the best of my knowledge, enterprise was the only one that came out afterwards and wasn't it cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                              Naturally, since sales of this first Lost Tales disk will determine whether there are any future ones, WB couldn't offer him or even really discuss any future work and I gather Jerry's nose, at that point, was out of joint. He also seemed to think it was because of his political leanings which sounded pretty paranoid to me.

What this means for his appearance in future Lost Tales disks? Who knows? Once again, all anybody will know is whatever comes out in public. I think we're all hoping that he'll be willing to do it if it's offered. Heaven knows that he and JMS have fussed before.

Funny thing about it is the fans seems to have a grasp of what more or less is happeningà since we discuss, assume and see things from all points of views it would be easier if Claudia Christian and Jerry Doyle frequent our little site (for information purposes of course) to get a better perspective on what is going on with the higher ups and decision makersà I donÆt think the decision makers have any ill intentions when it comes to making money. Just that I think it has to be iron out with the suits, it takes time and also alot of moneyà

Remember Kill Bill was supposed to be one movie, but the dailys were too good to throw away, so the decision makers Re-negotiated and made two movies instead of one... Same must have/could have (did) happened to JMS except no one told/included Jerry Doyle about see the bigger picture of all of this positive feed back from the fans.
                              "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

*shivers* kill bill... there was way too much.. yuck.. in that movie. just saw it for the first time recently. "blood" flyin everywhere. gross!

Comment

Working...
                                X