The Claudia Situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RMcD View Post
    I eventually warmed to Lochley, but I wish a more concerted attempt had been made to establish her as an independent character, rather than parachuting her directly into Ivanova's role (and even, at one point, her hairstyle).
    Okay, maybe I'll be accused of being overly interested in hair, but I had a real roll-the-eyes response to this complaint. How many different ways do you think there are for women in the military to wear their hair while on duty? Particularly long hair? That's like going into a fast food place, or a gym, and complaining that all of the women are trying to look like Ivanova because they have their hair pulled back in a tight ponytail!

The funny thing about this is that I was looking for a photo of Claudia as Ivanova last night for a new site I'm building, and I specifically wanted a posed, studio picture rather than a screen capture, because most screen caps are very low res. After hours of poking around, I came to the conclusion that all of the publicity stills taken of Claudia-as-Ivanova are glamour photos. They all show her wearing her hair in ways she only wore it when off duty, at the Fresh Air, on a date with Talia, etc. etc. And one photo had her in a curly 'do' she'd never even worn on the show at all! What I wanted was the pulled-back-into-a-ponytail style, so I had to settle for a screen capture that looks like it might have been an official promo shot taken on set (so the resolution wasn't as horrible as it might have been, like the pics over on the Jump Now photo archive).

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG View Post
      Okay, maybe I'll be accused of being overly interested in hair, but I had a real roll-the-eyes response to this complaint.
      I just think it's funny that it comes up so often that Lochley pulled her hair back 'Ivanova-style' when she only did it the one time.

They all show her wearing her hair in ways she only wore it when off duty, at the Fresh Air, on a date with Talia, etc. etc. And one photo had her in a curly 'do' she'd never even worn on the show at all!
      She was seen in uniform with her hair down while in uniform a few of times, though. The one that mainly comes to mind was (I think) Soul Mates where Ivanova had a date interrupted. Garibaldi made a comment about liking her new look.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I only really mentioned it because it's something the great maker himself has weighed in on:

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-10473&query=hair

Love that she (I assume he means Tracy Scoggins) called it 'the Ivanova "peanut-head"'..
        Last edited by RMcD; 05-02-2007, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
          I just think it's funny that it comes up so often that Lochley pulled her hair back 'Ivanova-style' when she only did it the one time.
          And that was too much. It was pulled back way too tight. Scary. Didn't suit Tracy's looks at all.
          Last edited by KoshN; 05-02-2007, 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
          Mac Breck (KoshN)
          ------------------
          Warner Brothers is Lucy.
          JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
          Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

As an addendum, I'd like to believe that if Sheridan had walked into C&C in one episode with Sinclair's center-parting, or Zack had gone bald after becoming head of security, I'd have pointed that out too..

Comment

Originally posted by RMcD View Post
              ... or Zack had gone bald after becoming head of security ...
              That would have just been creepy ...

The Optimist: The glass is half full
              The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
              The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Going back to the thread "The Claudia Situation?"

Originally posted by Shr'eshhhhhh
                I do wish the two of them would get off their sand pits, shake hands and get on with telling great B5 stories with both Ivanova and Lochley (which have the potential of being very different characters) but my arms don't reach far enough to knock their noggins together and really they should be mature enough and financially wise enough not to need such an action.

As fans of both Claudia and JMS I don't think it helps much by still taking sides after all these years.
                > >>> This was written in the Claudia Christian e-mail newsletter:
                >
                > >>> "For those of you who were interested in the Babylon 5 novel, it will
                > >>> not be published. JMS squashed the release of the book and that's all
                > >>> I know." <<
                Nobody went out of their way to squash, squish or smush Claudia's
                book. None of the Mongoose B5 novels are going ahead, hers or anybody
                else's. There's nothing more to it than that.

jms
                Looks like things haven't changed all that much... Kind of like Richard Hatch (Apollo) and Glen Larson now.
                "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rallytbk View Post
                  Looks like things haven't changed all that much... Kind of like Richard Hatch (Apollo) and Glen Larson now.
                  Is there supposed to be some kind of feud between those two? I know that Hatch was *very* bitter about his version of BSG not going through but he's come around and the last time I saw him at a convention he was wildly enthusiastic about the version that's on now.

As for JMS, he's got a record of being willing to work with people he's had upsets with in the past. Robert Foxworth got the part of the President in "Jeremiah" after bailing on 'Severed Dreams'. Even though it was postponed, JMS planned one of the first TLT segments around Jerry Doyle's Garibaldi and they've had a couple of public spats.

Granted, neither of those was quite as major as a starring character dropping out but it at least illustrates that JMS is willing to do what's necessary for the story rather than hold a grudge.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I know that Hatch was *very* bitter about his version of BSG not going through but he's come around and the last time I saw him at a convention he was wildly enthusiastic about the version that's on now.
                    Having a recurring guest role in at least a quarter of the episodes made might have changed his mind. Not that that's bad - Hatch is damn good at it. Larson got a token fee and his credit on the miniseries for "consulting" when he really just whined about it not being fair.

Granted, neither of those was quite as major as a starring character dropping out but it at least illustrates that JMS is willing to do what's necessary for the story rather than hold a grudge.
                    Joe can. Can Claudia?
                    Radhil Trebors
                    Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil View Post
                      Having a recurring guest role in at least a quarter of the episodes made might have changed his mind. Not that that's bad - Hatch is damn good at it. Larson got a token fee and his credit on the miniseries for "consulting" when he really just whined about it not being fair.
                      At the time I saw him, he'd only had the first couple of episodes where he was a prisoner, as I recall. I liked that he'd taken a good look around and actually changed his mind. Yeah, he still liked his idea for a 'next generation' style show but he'd shed the bitterness and become a real cheerleader for the show that 'won'.

Joe can. Can Claudia?
                      Dunno. Her website claims that, if asked, she'd put on the uniform again but I gather that's been there for a while. It seems to me that the first move would have to be JMS's anyway, don't you think?

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Dunno. Her website claims that, if asked, she'd put on the uniform again but I gather that's been there for a while. It seems to me that the first move would have to be JMS's anyway, don't you think?
                        Claudia Christian is sufficiently in tune with Babylon 5 that she wrote a fiction book for it.

Contractual permission to publish books cannot just be taken away. Mongoose is still doing Babylon 5 so they still have a licence from Warner Brothers. Dropping the books may have been an implied condition of a licence renewal. Only someone with a high rank can decide to refuse money once a contract has been signed. JMS is about the only person who would care sufficiently about Babylon 5 to do it. However I suspect that there will be suits who will kill the books to keep JMS happy.

I wonder if Mongoose's new project is related to The Lost Tales in some way.
                        Andrew Swallow

Comment

Claudia's book will not be online. It will be left exactly where it is. I have it on good authority that no one in her camp had any intention of misinforming fans as to what happened. No one was making up stories let alone Claudia who has not personally made any comment on the matter. All of the books were "squashed." And what difference does the wording make anyway? Stopped from publishing? Squashed? tomaeto? tomAto? JMS and Mongoose had their reasons. This is respected and the matter should be dropped. This entire "claudia situation" has gone on long enough. What does occur, we as fans always find a way to blow out of proportion and overanalyze in our unending desire to KNOW EVERYTHING! It doesn't need to come up again. Not here, not a convention, not anywhere. It's over. I've said it before elsewhere and I'll say it here... this is a good time for fanbase wide decision to drop the subject for good and let them both get on with their lives. They are real people with real feelings and they both have so much MORE going on in their lives, new projects and new things they would both LOVE to share with you.

Comment

Well, alright then. A brand-new poster making his first post has it "on authority" without naming names or giving any details about where this "authority" comes from ... That's certainly good enough for me.
                            "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Nice to meet you too. A) I'm not a he. B) I'm not new. I have just not felt any need to register and post until now. I don't hang out in this particular forum that often. I didn't feel comfortable standing by and letting people accuse Claudia for making up stories she didn't even tell. And it doesn't change the fact that after nearly 10 years, it's long past time to let the whole thing go.

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
                                Claudia's book will not be online. It will be left exactly where it is. I have it on good authority that no one in her camp had any intention of misinforming fans as to what happened. No one was making up stories let alone Claudia who has not personally made any comment on the matter.
                                From what I've heard, the 'squashed' comment came from an official CC newsletter. Isn't that incorrect?

All of the books were "squashed." And what difference does the wording make anyway? Stopped from publishing? Squashed? tomaeto? tomAto? JMS and Mongoose had their reasons.
                                That's part of the point under discussion. What exact part did JMS supposedly play in this? Somebody pointed directly at him so if they didn't know anything it shouldn't have been phrased that way. If the sentence had read "WB and Mongoose have mutually decided not to go ahead with the books", there'd be no discussion. That's not what was said, however and it can't be pretended that was what was meant.

This is respected and the matter should be dropped. This entire "claudia situation" has gone on long enough. What does occur, we as fans always find a way to blow out of proportion and overanalyze in our unending desire to KNOW EVERYTHING! It doesn't need to come up again. Not here, not a convention, not anywhere. It's over. I've said it before elsewhere and I'll say it here... this is a good time for fanbase wide decision to drop the subject for good and let them both get on with their lives. They are real people with real feelings and they both have so much MORE going on in their lives, new projects and new things they would both LOVE to share with you.
                                You're welcome to that opinion and there are plenty of people willing to let both share their new projects. But as long public comments are made, you can expect it to keep being discussed.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X