The Claudia Situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shr'eshhhhhh View Post
    I do wish the two of them would get off their sand pits, shake hands and get on with telling great B5 stories with both Ivanova and Lochley (which have the potential of being very different characters) but my arms don't reach far enough to knock their noggins together and really they should be mature enough and financially wise enough not to need such an action.
    I think it's easily possible to have both Lochley and Ivanova together on screen. My understanding is that Claudia and Tracy are good friends nowadays. I don't sense any sort of rivalry between the two of them. Now, if we could somehow get the two of them and JMS locked in a room together, maybe all this could be worked out and a fantastic script could be put together. Since the station is still there under Lochley's command, the Titans could show up for any number of reasons. (not a story idea!)
    "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
      Now, if we could somehow get the two of them and JMS locked in a room together, maybe all this could be worked out and a fantastic script could be put together.
      Must... hold... back...

Comment

Originally posted by SLerman View Post
        Must... hold... back...
        That's what JMS would be saying
        Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SLerman View Post
          Must... hold... back...
          Story idea!
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

As much as I would like to see Ivanova again, if JMS doesn't want to work with someone he clashed with, that's completely his lookout. Why on earth should he? There's no shortage of exciting new characters he can create, and no shortage of talented actors to play them, without having to go back to someone he had a war of egos with.

I eventually warmed to Lochley, but I wish a more concerted attempt had been made to establish her as an independent character, rather than parachuting her directly into Ivanova's role (and even, at one point, her hairstyle). In the handful of season 5 episodes she's in (7?) I can only remember seeing her off duty twice, once when she was doing chair exercises, and once in Day of the Dead when she was unfortunately outshone by her younger co-star.

She didn't advance much further in the two TV movies, and Crusade was cancelled before she could grow into character. She also had the misfortune of entering the series after it had peaked. I think she would have got there, though - she still had less screen time in total than Ivanova did in season 1, and it certainly took Claudia Christian longer than that to settle into her role.

Comment

Originally posted by RMcD View Post
              I eventually warmed to Lochley, but I wish a more concerted attempt had been made to establish her as an independent character, rather than parachuting her directly into Ivanova's role (and even, at one point, her hairstyle). In the handful of season 5 episodes she's in (7?) I can only remember seeing her off duty twice, once when she was doing chair exercises, and once in Day of the Dead when she was unfortunately outshone by her younger co-star.

She didn't advance much further in the two TV movies, and Crusade was cancelled before she could grow into character. She also had the misfortune of entering the series after it had peaked. I think she would have got there, though - she still had less screen time in total than Ivanova did in season 1, and it certainly took Claudia Christian longer than that to settle into her role.
              Must have been really hard trying to establish a new, major character under the circumstances, so I'm right there with you in terms of thinking she needed more development. I really don't see Lochley as "parachuting" into Ivanova's role, though. Ivanova had the whole relationship thing going, would've been grieving over Marcus, would have fallen for Byron, wouldv'e gotten burned, etc. I saw their personalities as being different, too. Ivanova was somewhat of a pessimist and could be over the top. Lochley seemed more pragmatic. Deal with what's in front of you. Work with the people you must. That sort of thing. IIRC, the hair thing was Tracy Scoggins decision. She interpreted the scene as needing a "no fuss" hair style -- Lochley didn't have time to worry about her hair -- so she just pulled it back.
              "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

As much as I would like to see Ivanova again, if JMS doesn't want to work with someone he clashed with, that's completely his lookout. Why on earth should he? There's no shortage of exciting new characters he can create, and no shortage of talented actors to play them, without having to go back to someone he had a war of egos with.
                Actually, this would put things in JMS favor if he wanted to use Ivanova for any future additions to ôThe Lost Talesö, just think about the negotiations- JMS: I have a short movie (script) involving Ivanovaà want to be in it Claudia? It pays X amount and yes or no would be an appropriate answer. If not I wont use it. NEXT!

And it seems he doesnÆt have any hard feelings about temperamental actors, because he is doing a Jerry Doyle ôMichael Garibaldiö story nextà ThatÆs the beauty of ôThe Lost Talesö it can be set anytime in the Babylon 5 Universe or skipped entirely, because Babylon 5Æs main story is finished. This was another brilliant idea needed for both diehard fans and new viewers.

So hereÆs to having our wishes fulfilled. Yahoo!
                "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rallytbk View Post
                  And it seems he doesnÆt have any hard feelings about temperamental actors, because he is doing a Jerry Doyle ôMichael Garibaldiö story nextà
                  Yeah, but the conspiracy theorist in me notes that the Garibaldi story was the one that got axed from Volume 1. And JMS has no problems with Bruce Boxleitner and Tracy Scoggins. Although the realist in me says the conspiracy theorist in me is reading way too much into that..

Comment

Yeah, but the conspiracy theorist in me notes that the Garibaldi story was the one that got axed from Volume 1. And JMS has no problems with Bruce Boxleitner and Tracy Scoggins. Although the realist in me says the conspiracy theorist in me is reading way too much into that..
                    I must say, that thought has crossed my mind as well. But I honestly think that he just needed a full movie length to reestablish the universe, because as the first one in hopefully a series of dvds, it has to be stand alone enough to capture a new audience and at the same time capture the old market. That takes a lot of time to accomplish. It's kinda like a pilot movie if you think about it.

I have no doubt we'll see Garabaldi. He probably cures the drakh plague single handedly and ends the telepath war at the same time. That way I don't have any loose ends to deal with in my head anymore. All in the span of 30 minutes.
                    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I know you're just joking but just to be on the safe side...

And in regard to that...the initial goal was to try and do three big
                      stories in one DVD. So I wrote three scripts, featuring Sheridan,
                      Lochley, Galen and Garibaldi. (I wanted to focus on the human
                      characters initially so we'd have more time for prosthetics R&D for the
                      next one.) The stories, as noted previously, were huge...all over the
                      map, from Minbar, to Earth, Mars, the future, the distant past, as well
                      as B5 itself obviously. We're also going to be trying some new
                      production technologies, again trying to stay ahead of the tech curve,
                      the way B5 has always stayed ahead on these things.

And over the last few days, as we began to bring on crew and lay out
                      the production, looking at just how complicated these mini-movies were
                      going to be, the idea of making three of these monsters began to become
                      a bit much for us to pull off on out first time out the gate,
                      especially since I'm still kind of new as a director. So we decided to
                      postpone one of the three to the next DVD, and lengthen the other two
                      to make up the difference. GIven that the Garibaldi story was the most
                      complicated visually and technically, also the most difficult from a
                      CGi perspective, that's the one that got pushed until, potentially,
                      next time.
                      Emphasis added by me.

Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Pfft. Jan, reality has nothing to do with conspiracies.
                        Radhil Trebors
                        Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                          I must say, that thought has crossed my mind as well. But I honestly think that he just needed a full movie length to reestablish the universe, because as the first one in hopefully a series of dvds, it has to be stand alone enough to capture a new audience and at the same time capture the old market. That takes a lot of time to accomplish.
                          They have a lot of stuff to rebuild (all the CGI, sets, wardrobe, etc.). I'm sure they'll do it a piece at a time, as needed for the B5:TLT DVDs.

One good thing, JMS knows the sore points a lot of us had with the Rangers pilot, and I'm sure he'll work to mitigate those problems by picking stories he can convincingly show in future B5:TLT DVDs.
                          Mac Breck (KoshN)
                          ------------------
                          Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                          JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                          Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Indeed I expect that if JMS had known Cursade wasnt going to last we might well have gotten a different character to replace Ivanova.

The most obvious replacement for a "one season character" would IMHO have been to push the fact that they'd fought on the other side of the civil war much more strongly. Some kind of history related to that could have been woven into(and resolved) the overall plot of the 5th season much more than they were able to with Lockley.
                            Last edited by moreorless; 05-01-2007, 03:31 PM.
                            Who are you?
                            What do you want?
                            What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil View Post
                              Pfft. Jan, reality has nothing to do with conspiracies.
                              Silly me....

Jan
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless View Post
                                That pretty much sums up my view of the whole affair, everything I'v heard about this gives me the impression that wider events are far more to blame than either JMS or Christian for her departure.
                                Yep. I think you have two principals in the debate, each with their version of the story, and I don't find either one's completely satisfactory.

I blame the lack of time and a series of incidental roadblocks that prevented a meeting of the minds. To argue "fault" in a case like this is futile, IMO. Showbiz is full of cases like this.
                                I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Working...
                                X