No announcement yet.

Hyperspace travel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cortez had a power plant problem. The jump drive requires a large amount of power. The Cortez wasn't doing nuttin' anytime soon.

JMS had a few posts out there I found on Midwinter that roughly said the Cortez could've eventually jumped out after repairing itself but by that time (a) it would have lost all hyperspace reference and have no idea where it's jumping out to and (b) wouldn't have had the computational gear to be able to fix their real-space position enough for a good jump just by eyeballing the stars. So they could've jumped and jumped and hoped they'd get lucky and find a signal to fix some kind of position on (while the powerplant's still sparkin', the jump drive eventually starts overheating, the eggheads are brain-fried from recomputing visual star positions every couple of hours, and everyone gets put on protein rations 'cause who knows when or if this'll end), or they call for help.

If the beacons were proximity the Cortez would've had little issue. I still believe the beacons are gate-to-gate stuff, and just make good reference markers even if they aren't explicitly used for jump capable ships.
    Last edited by Radhil; 01-30-2007, 09:59 AM.
    Radhil Trebors
    Persona Under Construction

Comment

If a beacon were not necessary, the Cortez could have exited hyperspace at any time, maybe lost a billion light years from home. But they would not be lost forever in hyperspace, which appears to be the fate of ships losing the lock-on. The hyperspace engine must 'need' a beacon lock-on nearby to work at all.

Plot device, nothing more. Cortez could have exited any time, but then Keifer would have never encountered the shadow vessel. Just part of the frustration when watching sci fi shows. Writers often ignore the simple solution to steer the story line.

Comment

Originally posted by argonnj View Post
        Plot device, nothing more. Cortez could have exited any time, but then Keifer would have never encountered the shadow vessel. Just part of the frustration when watching sci fi shows. Writers often ignore the simple solution to steer the story line.
        The Cortez had a power problem *and* the navigation system was shot. From dialogue, it would have taken at least 48 hours before they could have tried to jump. They got in contact with B5 long before they were faced with the issue of trying to make a blind jump out of hyperspace. Sheridan and his crew didn't have enough information about the damage to just wait and hope for the best.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I would have thought that if the Earth Alliance can have realtime conversations across however many lightyears on the gold channel then they'd have the technology to transmit hyperspace beacon signals deep into space, beyond the physical limits of the jumpgate network.

I'm assuming there would have to be some kind of link between the real space signal and hyperspace so that hyperspace drif wouldn't affect the position the signal is coming from (if the beacon is physically located in real space).

Does that sound plausible? I'm typing in a rush- using a work PC and the boss is 'hovering'.
          Last edited by therichieboy; 02-20-2007, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
            Isn't it amazing the quality of answers you get around here?

I don't think I can add much, except to agree with GH that the hyperspace network is probably limited and may only correspond to a small part of the galaxy.
            I agree, I never gave it much thought... But if I were to look for answers just to peek my curiosity, all your guesses are the reason why I like this site.

Keep them coming.
            "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by argonnj View Post
              Mere supposition. Suppose that the ship in hyperspace needs to fix itself relative to real space before it can open that jump point in real space? That kinda makes sense to me, and explains why exploration ships didn't simply jump blind as a matter of course (and also why exploration took place along the fringes of known space, because thsose were the areas within the beacon range of the existing jump gates so such a fix could be established). The show says Cortez would be lost in hyperspace (not that it would jump into real space at some random location, but that it would be lost in hyperspace as happened before). Rather than simply dismissing the story's premise (and thus by implication the premise of all the stories and thus the entire canon) as mere plot devices, why not play along with the supposition that what the show says is true, within the context of the show, and have fun playing with that?
              I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Working...
              X