No announcement yet.

Season 5 - Was It Needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am one of those that, originally, didn't really like the fifth season. I felt that, whilst none of it was actually terrible or bad as such, it was just a bit 'so what?'

I have, of course all B5 avalable on DVD at the moment (until that changes in the immediate future ) and I have watched them all many times over. And by-jingo along the way something odd happened.

I am now in a position whereby I cannot imagine B5 as a series without season 5 !

I am not going to lie and say that it was all perfect, no there are certainly some weaker episodes. Those aside, it remains as vital a part of the story as any before it.

Also, S5 contains some of the most memorable scenes commited to film. The genuine look of sadness in the faces of Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlann and Bruce Boxleitner as they play out Garibaldi's departure scene. You could see that these were friends who had suddenly realised that their trip together really was finally coming to an end - Very little acting was actually required, I sincerely believe. Or who could easily forget the scene, the slow camera pull away, symbolically alienting us as it does from this flawed man, from Londo - now Emperor Londo - on his new throne, totally alone and with no freedom whatsoever. When we recall the way he was when we first saw him - what price power?

No, Season 5 is vital to the story, just as sesaon one and even the original version of THE GATHERING were vital. It is all part-and-parcel a piece of the B5 universe that we could not do without. The world of BABYLON 5 would have a much weaker place without it.
    http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
    Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
    47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

My short synopsis of Believers has always been:

Three aliens get lost on their way to an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Tragedy ensues. Ivanova rules.

(20 words!)

Comment

I do think that S5 was needed, however I think the season would have been better if it had half the number of episodes, so if S5 had 10-11 episodes it would have been alot better. A lot of the episods felt like filler episodes, and the whole Telepath war thing just being forgotten when the real story of S5 involving Centauri Prime finally got started.
        http://card.mygamercard.net/Wicked%20Vorlon.jpg

Comment

The telepath arc would clearly have worked much better if it hadn't had to jump in from a standing start in year 5. If it had been allowed to begin setup in S4 so by the time the Earth civil war was over the colony on B5 was already established I think the perception of it would be quite different.

Also, the "S5" we see now would have been shorter, since S4 was originally intended to end with 'Intersections in Real Time', leaving the end of the ECW to play out over the first several episodes of S5.

Oh ... and Lyta should definitely have got off with Zack instead of Byron.

The Optimist: The glass is half full
          The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
          The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
            The telepath arc would clearly have worked much better if it hadn't had to jump in from a standing start in year 5. If it had been allowed to begin setup in S4 so by the time the Earth civil war was over the colony on B5 was already established I think the perception of it would be quite different.
            Agreed, but that does not really affect the question of "was Season 5 necessary?" Like everyone else, I would have preferred it to have been an intergral part of the series, and like most here I saw it as "tacked on" when I first saw it. It had some nice moments, but seemed to me to just be there for the sake of being there.

Since the broadcast days, though, I have grown to like it a bit more. I am not sure that the "character development" for Lochley made her more believable or less, but that for Garibaldi, Lyta, Lodo, etc was really, in retorspect, worth the airing. I just wish there could have been a "B -arc" in the season that was more compelleing that whiney Teeps versus evil Psicops.
            I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler View Post
              I just wish there could have been a "B -arc" in the season that was more compelleing that whiney Teeps versus evil Psicops.
              Trouble is, without that storyline, there probably wouldn't have been a Teep War and most of us really want to see that. Just as Sinclair had a connection to the Minbari and Sheridan had the connection to the Shadows, it's Lyta who would have given us the emotional connection to the Telepath Crisis.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                Trouble is, without that storyline, there probably wouldn't have been a Teep War and most of us really want to see that. Just as Sinclair had a connection to the Minbari and Sheridan had the connection to the Shadows, it's Lyta who would have given us the emotional connection to the Telepath Crisis.

Jan
                There could have been anexcellent story of Lyta helping the Teep resistance off the station without bringing in Byron and his whole gang. I don't object to having Teep troubles that will lead to a Teep War, nor indeed having Lyta, alienated by the shabby treatment she received from the command staff, turning against B5 and falling in love with a Byron type. What made the story so much less credible was the overt nature of their presence, and the whole way the crisis looked like it was just meant to take up some time. Byron would be a more credible martyr if he had been martyred in some fashion that didn't make him look so much like a bumbling loser.
                I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Oh ... and Lyta should definitely have got off with Zack instead of Byron.
                  "You're absolutely right!" - Jeff Conaway
                  Joseph DeMartino
                  Sigh Corps
                  Pat Tallman Division

Comment

with one word: YES!

Comment

I think it's interesting how Zack didn't just inherit Garibaldi's job, but his attraction to telepathic women...unless somewhere down the line Zack hair receedes, then goes a bit grey, then shaven stubble, and finally just goes completely

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                        But back to the subject at hand, I still don't get why there's so much dislike of the Season 5 running around.
                        1) Byron
                        2) Telepaths singing Kumbaya
                        3) Byron
                        4) More telepaths singing Kumbaya while holding hands
                        5) Byron

Remove the telepaths pn B5 arc. It was well known what was happening already with rogues and the Corp, it didn't need to flash on B5. You can easily work in Lyta's involvement in any other way. The only worthwhile scene with Byron was in View From The Gallery.
                        Last edited by NotKosh; 01-25-2007, 02:58 PM.
                        "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotKosh View Post
                          1) Byron
                          2) Telepaths singing Kumbaya
                          3) Byron
                          4) More telepaths singing Kumbaya while holding hands
                          5) Byron

Remove the telepaths pn B5 arc. It was well known what was happening already with rogues and the Corp, it didn't need to flash on B5. You can easily work in Lyta's involvement in any other way. The only worthwhile scene with Byron was in View From The Gallery.
                          Can I surmise you didn't like Byron? You shouldn't be so subtle about it.
                          ---
                          Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                          www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Originally posted by BabylonRebel View Post
                            I think it's interesting how Zack didn't just inherit Garibaldi's job, but his attraction to telepathic women...unless somewhere down the line Zack hair receedes, then goes a bit grey, then shaven stubble, and finally just goes completely
                            I doubt it was the telepathy thing that attracted him ...
                            The Optimist: The glass is half full
                            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                              But back to the subject at hand, I still don't get why there's so much dislike of the Season 5 running around.
                              Sheridan and Lochley were once married. wtf? That one is definately stealing a base. It was enough that Sheridan and Franklin used to work together, but this insta-marrage just bugs me. How about they were just in basic/flight school together, and once slept together IF you have to make a connection. Clunk

And I agree Byron was a weenie. For space hippies nobody ever beats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_to_Eden

Plus the Bester/Chekov connection works really well here.
                              Last edited by Macbeth; 01-26-2007, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I didn't mind Byron, just how rushed the whole telepaths vs. psi corps story wound up feeling. I also didn't really buy into the Lyta turning against B5 "good guys" so quickly. Had this been spread out over portions of S4 and S5 as originally planned, it would probably have fit better. The thing that really killed this arc for me was Byron's long speech at the climax of the whole thing while Sheridan et al just stood around waiting for him to kill himself without taking any action whatsoever. That scene really stank IMO, and was a very weak payoff for a several episode arc.

But, while season 5 was not as amazing as seasons 3 and 4, it was still very much worth watching and I'm certainly glad it exists.
                                Last edited by NotSoWize; 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X