No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard from JMS on the new Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NotKosh if JMS would had followed what you said here..the B5 movie (if it is a movie) will be exactly like pitch black,xmen and xmen 2....total waste of time and not B5 worthy.
    Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

X-men 1 and 2 a complete and total waste of time? Yes, like anything else, the xmen movies were made with the intent of making money. And, in the box office, they did make a rather large amount of money. So what? I think the main point here is they actually turned out to be very good movies, lightyears beyond all the other comic book movie-hero trash out there (Hulk, Daredevil, and the Punisher to name a few).

People, if youre waiting for the next B5 to appear in the box office, the only time getting wasted would be yours. There are alot of good movies out there, comparing them all to B5 is kinda missing the point.

As to B5, if they were making a theatricle movie, i think they'd follow the same vein as the Matrix. Make a stand-alone movie to start (concluding the story but leaving the overall arc open), and if that was successful move on to the sequels.
      Last edited by CRONAN; 04-20-2004, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Ranger1, I can understand your concerns re: fitting a feature into the B5 universe, but I don't think they are justified. A feature can be set in the B5 universe, and even use all the same charactors and settings as the series, and yet not try to tie in too closely to the TV series, which is after all done and over with.

The awkwardness of the tie-in to ItB was created by the desire of TNT to use ItB to introduce new people to B5 on their network. That was why there had to be so many charactors and so much exposition.

A feature wouldn't have that burden. It would be stand-alone and thus could be made as a standalone, as was the first Star Trek movie (which made no effort to refer to events in the series). Whatever history was needed for the plot could be introduced exactly like backstory is in any other movie.
        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

But with Babylon 5 is all about expanding the story arc...just like a book,you can't do that in a cinema feature (unless its a trilogy or more).
          If it will be a movie as you describe it (begining,middle and end upon 2 hours),then..well it will be just like Star Trek (as much as i love Trek,i can never compare it to B5,B5 is so much better).

Again don't get me wrong i would love to see any B5 related sci-fi on the big screen,i just dont see it happen.
          Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger1
            But with Babylon 5 is all about expanding the story arc...just like a book,you can't do that in a cinema feature (unless its a trilogy or more).
            If it will be a movie as you describe it (begining,middle and end upon 2 hours),then..well it will be just like Star Trek (as much as i love Trek,i can never compare it to B5,B5 is so much better).

Again don't get me wrong i would love to see any B5 related sci-fi on the big screen,i just dont see it happen.
            [Intro]
            "Babylon 5 - the last of the great Babylon stations. The first three were destroyed [glimpses of exploding space stations] and the fourth vanished without a trace [we see Babylon 4 disappearing out of existance]. An alien who is on the verge of becoming his peoples greatest religious icon and a beautiful human female with special abilities embark on a journey together"...

Expanding the story.

/IAS
            Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
            http://www.babcon.org/

Comment

A movie about ....hhmmmm

Greetings,

A subject I would like to see would be the telepath war. That mayhaps be a good enough theme. Bring in big names to support the original cast.

thanks,
              cruiser

"Worse than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams!"
              I had the dagger in my hand! And he has the indecency to start dying on his own.

Comment

I also hope it is more than a theatrical movie, although I will take what I can get. There is no doubt JMS is a great writer and has the ability to write a great movie, but the things I love most about his writing are the character evolutions, the political conflicts, and the general depth of the universe. In essence the novel-like quality as opposed to the short story format of a theatrical movie.

If you have a mystery in a movie, it MUST be resolved unless the studio has already agreed to sequels. As evidenced by the B5 fans reactions to JMS's clues, we love trying to figure out where he is taking the story, what is happening to the characters, and how they will interact. With a theatrical movie, everything is settled before any discussion can take place.

Why are most comic-based movies dogs? Despite the general public opinion that comics are two dimensional, these characters have history, motivation, personal upheavals which are difficult if not impossible to relate within the confines of a movie. Spiderman was an exception because they DID spend a lot of time introducing us to Peter Parker.

As I said, I'll take what I can get, but a theatrical movie is at the bottom of my wish list.

Comment

the telepathic war of words

The Telepath War has been mentioned as feature film material for so long that any announcement of a film about something else would be disappointing to me.

And Cruiser, welcome.
                  But "Bring in big names to support the original cast.?

I'm pretty sure that will ruin it.
                  It should involve the original cast in all the major roles.
                  They all showed during the series that they can deliver.
                  In that situation any big names would have a supporting role, most wouldn't take it.

At most maybe they should have one crucial role that a "big name" may take, but I sincerely hope they don't try to bank any B5 movie on star appeal.
                  It's the story that counts.
                  Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                  James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

If the new B5 project is a theatrical film, I think we all can agree that WB's gonna want to produce it on as limited as a budget as possible, and JMS is likely to stick to original cast rather then any sort of Hollywood elite because 1) They can perform well 2) He dosen't need to spend time worrying about new characters 3) While all the cast members would certainly obtain a good salary for their work on the film, they wouldn't have to blow out the budget trying to pay for a significant Hollywood name.

The reason I think a theatrical film is feasible is only because JMS is notorious for running projects under budget, and that has to be a pretty damn attractive concept to the WB.

Comment

Yeah. I'm all "no" for the big names. That's not anything B5 needs. The original cast of B5 wasn't exactly high profile when they came about, with exclusion to perhaps a few. But even then, none of them were at the top. The truth is, each one of them is a stellar, exceptional and talented performer. For lack of better ways of expressing it, these people ARE better than the big names because it's their skill that gets them anywhere at all. Not just a look or *gasp* CULT OF PERSONALITY.

If anything, I want to see JMS get in there again, and fish out some awesome actors/actresses.

People who are that good, and can be that good deserve the chances he can give them.

Comment

I must also object to the idea that all the plot threads have to be resolved in 2 hours for the studios to give a go-ahead. All THEY care about is that the audience be satisfied when they leave the theater, not whether "'everything is wrapped up."

JMS can do both, and do so much better than, say, G. Lucas who has ALWAYS been producing sequel-able movies with no guarantees of a sequel.

I think JMS is exactly the kind of writer who can make a standalone movie stand alone or fit into a series of movies without surrendering any of the advantages of either form.

He has proven himself able to sketch out charactors in amazingly short times. I present as my prime example the Crusade episode "Racing the Night" which could have served as a single, standalone episode of an hour-long "Twilight Zone" and still be regarded as excellent.
                        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Stupid as the CAN and Cannes sounding similar thing seems, one interesting factoid is that :
                          "The list of entries for the Cannes Film Festival was unveiled in Paris on Wednesday. The festival starts on May 12, with the coveted Golden Palm awarded on May 23."

IF the announcement JMS is hinting at is a movie announcement, Cannes might be a great place for it.....

Comment

I agree with you all above about bringing in big Hollywood names.
                            Here I think George Lucas did a good thing with the original Star Wars (even if it was out of necessity and not a thought out plan): to use mostly unknown names except for Alec Guinness who actually had a really small part. That is just one of the things that has made the prequels worse - the actors are too well known.

If he has a choice, I think JMS should use the old cast and then a big name as for a small but crucial part - ranger captain? Crime lord? But the problem is that when WE see this celebrity, we know that he/she either is the main villain, or at least will survive to the last scene.

/IamS
                            Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
                            http://www.babcon.org/

Comment

Working...
                            X