Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard from JMS on the new Project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Ranger1
    I still don't think its going to be a theatrical movie,don't get me wrong i would LOVE to see B5 on the big screen...but you have to think like a suit,sci-fi movies just don't cut it on the big screen unless they have big names (Star Trek,Star Wars...and we saw that last Trek so even as something as large as that is starting to fade).
    Its all about profit with those guys (and who can blame them really),making a sci-fi movie is a big budget and i don't think they will use the "primitive" 90's CGI computers that were used on the show for a theatrical movie.

    I remember playing the Wing Commander series on my computer back in 1994 and when they said they gonna make a movie i was like "hell yeah"...well we saw how it turned out,but that is not the issue it was just lame,something that B5 can never be.

    The only way that i can think of of getting a B5 movie on the big screen is to make a trilogy (or more),after all B5 its all about our most beloved arc stories,i just can't see a 1 movie based on B5 on the big screen,what will it be? a Valen like story? shadows? only people who saw B5 on TV (VHS and DVD too of course) know these stories,and it will take a hell lot more then 2 hours (aprox) to explain the old B5 plot.

    So what? a new fresh movie? with a new cast? new bad guys? been there done that (LotR..didn't turned out so good even if it was for the small screen).

    Its got to be a TV movie i just can't picture a B5 movie on a big screen (maybe too good to be true )

    Btw i would pay just to see Ivanova for 2 hours on the big screen (damn she look hot today yummy yummy).

    Again I simply reply with...Oh yee, of little faith.
    Anthony Flessas
    Writer/Producer/Director,
    SP Pictures


    I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

    Comment


    • #17
      Non-franchises don't make it to screen?

      Sci-fi movies that are not Star Trek and Star Wars don't make it to the big screen?

      Hmmm. Just musing about movies with a non-franchise....

      Enemy Mine?

      Starship Troopers?

      Alien (the first one)?

      Terminator (the first one)?

      Predator (the first one)?

      Battlefield Earth (admittedly a dog)?

      The Last Starfighter?

      What about the first Star Wars? Was it a franchise at the time?

      Yeah, we all hear that if it isn't already marketable, it doesn't make the cut. But then along comes Babylon 5, Enemy Mine, Alien, and so on, to tell you that it is not the fact that the executives don't want to make Sci-fi, it is the fact that they are hesitant, and if the one delivering the script is dedicated and persistant enough, then, they may think, perhaps they have something.

      They just don't want another Battlestar Galactica (original) or "V" (television series, not original miniseries) where it starts out of the gate strong, but eventually peters out into really stupid conventions (the friendly alien, the whiz-kid and the damn robot, etc.). They want the proposal to be backed by someone with the gumption to let them believe that the series will be quality for the duration, something that JMS was able to show them, and he got his franchise.

      My $.02
      "Ivanova is God!"

      Comment


      • #18
        I'm with ranger1 on this one in some ways. Not just because of money though.
        If we use JMS's behaviour up until now regarding the future of the universe, it seems like he doesn't want to have as much to do with it as the past.

        What justice would he do that argument if he went and OKed a movie on it? Crikey, he's either changed his mind, or been bribed/terrorized into it!

        Comment


        • #19
          If Warners threw a load of money at it of course JMS would be interested, after all it is his baby.
          Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Omega
            I'm with ranger1 on this one in some ways. Not just because of money though.
            If we use JMS's behaviour up until now regarding the future of the universe, it seems like he doesn't want to have as much to do with it as the past.

            What justice would he do that argument if he went and OKed a movie on it? Crikey, he's either changed his mind, or been bribed/terrorized into it!

            I'm not sure where you've gotten the impression that JMS doesn't seem interested in doing anything in the B5 universe anymore. Nothing I've read or heard from him would suggest such a thing. He is, however, very clear that he doesn't want just anything done in his universe by just anyone just for the sake of it. He has to be involved, it's his way of making sure the B5 universe remains a high quality, thought provoking one. He seems to me to be pretty damned excited about this new project.

            CE
            Anthony Flessas
            Writer/Producer/Director,
            SP Pictures


            I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

            Comment


            • #21
              There actually HAVE been new things being made in the original B5 universe recently - the DVDs of the 5 seasons. The cast HAS been getting together with JMS and Doug Netter for an episode or two of audio commentaries for each season. Sales of the DVDs have gone much better than WB expected, the DVD rollouts of the later seasons came faster than originally expected - it is not a big stretch to think that enough momentum was generated to create a theatrical movie or mini series starring the original cast as the "next big thing" we have been waiting to hear about. The end of season 4 episode (actually the first ep. of season 5 which was shot to replace "Sleeping in Light" after the series was finally renewed for the 5th season) laid out several story arcs during the 20 years between Sheridan's return from Za-hadum and his death. The only one that would be happening about 7 years after season 5 (it would be 2005 before a theatrical movie could be shot and released) would seem to be the story of the Telepath War.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by snodman
                There actually HAVE been new things being made in the original B5 universe recently - the DVDs of the 5 seasons. The cast HAS been getting together with JMS and Doug Netter for an episode or two of audio commentaries for each season. Sales of the DVDs have gone much better than WB expected, the DVD rollouts of the later seasons came faster than originally expected - it is not a big stretch to think that enough momentum was generated to create a theatrical movie or mini series starring the original cast as the "next big thing" we have been waiting to hear about. The end of season 4 episode (actually the first ep. of season 5 which was shot to replace "Sleeping in Light" after the series was finally renewed for the 5th season) laid out several story arcs during the 20 years between Sheridan's return from Za-hadum and his death. The only one that would be happening about 7 years after season 5 (it would be 2005 before a theatrical movie could be shot and released) would seem to be the story of the Telepath War.
                There are many stories, actually, that JMS could make this project about, such as the Drakh War. But as this has been discussed to death here and everywhere else, I would recommend that if you want to read the point/counter-point arguments and speculations you run a little search for them. They are there in a-plenty
                Anthony Flessas
                Writer/Producer/Director,
                SP Pictures


                I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

                Comment


                • #23
                  I agree - also there are many stories which occured within the 5 year arc which were only hinted at, and within Crusade ( if it had continued ) there are threads which can be tapped into to make a feature film.

                  If JMS is offered the right deal, I am sure we will see a feature film within the next 2 years.

                  (is it a feature film? lets hope so.... )
                  Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Fortunately there are several story lines JMS could develop for a feature film. The nice advantage to one about the telepath war would be that it would leave the door open for a sequel or two...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Ok, newbie incoming!... Hi!

                      Personally, I am not exactly afraid of anything, script-wise, JMS will put in the big screen (assuming TMoS is really a theatrical movie).

                      My only fear is that an aesthetical transition would miss, from TV to theatre. Compare the Star Trek classic crew movies with TNG's movies. TNG's movies behave like 2-hour tv episodes.

                      Personally, I guess that this is because the director of TNG movies was previously a tv director. And perhaps some script treatment, for the development os story (Fred and Daphne go to the basement; Welma, Scooby and the hippie go upstairs), that reminds how the story develops in TV.

                      In a nutshell: my fear is that we, at the end, watch a big tv episode at the movie.

                      But, like it was said, 'oh yee of no faith'. ;-)

                      Regards,
                      5thB.
                      Space... The Final Fron... er... wrong forum, I guess.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by 5thBabylonian
                        Ok, newbie incoming!... Hi!

                        Personally, I am not exactly afraid of anything, script-wise, JMS will put in the big screen (assuming TMoS is really a theatrical movie).

                        My only fear is that an aesthetical transition would miss, from TV to theatre. Compare the Star Trek classic crew movies with TNG's movies. TNG's movies behave like 2-hour tv episodes.

                        Personally, I guess that this is because the director of TNG movies was previously a tv director. And perhaps some script treatment, for the development os story (Fred and Daphne go to the basement; Welma, Scooby and the hippie go upstairs), that reminds how the story develops in TV.

                        In a nutshell: my fear is that we, at the end, watch a big tv episode at the movie.

                        But, like it was said, 'oh yee of no faith'. ;-)

                        Regards,
                        5thB.
                        Yep, apples and oranges, dear. JMS is in no way Rick "I frelled Star Trek with my big dumb unimaginative ego" Berman.

                        And what you're referring to is called "Scooby-Dooing" the script, and I agree, Trek is bad about it. But again, JMS is JMS, and I really don't think he'll do a two hour ep on the big screen if given the chance.

                        On a side note, I just finished re-watching all S5. Wow...there were more great and powerful moments in that season than I remembered.

                        And to Joe DM if you're out there: After watching S5 again and paying close attention to some subtle and not-so-subtle hints and mysteries...I can see better how JMS could, in fact, take a TW film and make it something galactic and epic in scale.

                        Although, I remind all, I've never doubted JMS's ability to blow my doors off. I was reminded after finishing S5, once more, just what a landmark, phenominal, epic, moving, enlighting, and groundbreaking series this was. It is, after all, the only series I can say changed me forever.

                        "What is loved...endures. What is built...endures. And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."
                        Anthony Flessas
                        Writer/Producer/Director,
                        SP Pictures


                        I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          just had a rather bizarre thought while brousing the moderated newsgroup.

                          ''IN THE CAN''


                          Does film not come in a can?
                          Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by circularREASON
                            Does film not come in a can?
                            Yes, but as I have pointed out in another thread, the phrase "in the can" means the film is done (i.e. it is "in the can" waiting to be copied/distributed.)
                            I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              What is it ?.

                              I have my own views but anything for us fans will be appreciated. More B5 is good news for us all - no matter what shape it comes in.
                              Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Ranger1
                                I still don't think its going to be a theatrical movie,don't get me wrong i would LOVE to see B5 on the big screen...but you have to think like a suit, sci-fi movies just don't cut it on the big screen unless they have big names (Star Trek,Star Wars...and we saw that last Trek so even as something as large as that is starting to fade).

                                Like Pitch Black? Like X-Men, X-Men2, Spiderman, etc?

                                Its all about profit with those guys (and who can blame them really),making a sci-fi movie is a big budget and i don't think they will use the "primitive" 90's CGI computers that were used on the show for a theatrical movie.

                                Noone said they had to. But JMS can do SF on a budget. I would think he could put out a great produce with a $25M budget.

                                I remember playing the Wing Commander series on my computer back in 1994 and when they said they gonna make a movie i was like "hell yeah"...well we saw how it turned out,but that is not the issue it was just lame,something that B5 can never be.

                                The only way that i can think of of getting a B5 movie on the big screen is to make a trilogy (or more),after all B5 its all about our most beloved arc stories,i just can't see a 1 movie based on B5 on the big screen,what will it be? a Valen like story? shadows? only people who saw B5 on TV (VHS and DVD too of course) know these stories,and it will take a hell lot more then 2 hours (aprox) to explain the old B5 plot.

                                Again, totally wrong. 1-2 minute voice over, introduction, or story (see Londo in In The Beginning), would do fine to set the backstory. It isn't necessary to rehash the entire series.

                                So what? a new fresh movie? with a new cast? new bad guys? been there done that (LotR..didn't turned out so good even if it was for the small screen).

                                Then don't watch it, if you are too afraid. As someone already said, a pilot isn't the same as a movie.

                                Its got to be a TV movie i just can't picture a B5 movie on a big screen (maybe too good to be true )

                                Btw i would pay just to see Ivanova for 2 hours on the big screen (damn she look hot today yummy yummy).
                                "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X