Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazycanuck
    replied
    I could see and understand Briggs not being mentioned---But G'Kar--nay that was an over sight--some of the people I have seen mentioned on the roll are people who stopped acting 100 years ago or only made 1 or2 movies---G'Kar should have been mentioned

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Correct. Rick Biggs may have done a couple of films (I don't really know, and I'm not going to bother looking it up on IMDb.com), but he didn't have a film career in the same way that Andreas did.

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
    I'm also stunned that Andreas was left out. Then again, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Richards Biggs also left out the year prior and he had various roles outside of Babylon 5?
    Yes, but wasn't most of his stuff on television and, therefore never likely to trouble the Oscars committee?

Leave a comment:

• Truth66
    replied
    I'm also stunned that Andreas was left out. Then again, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Richards Biggs also left out the year prior and he had various roles outside of Babylon 5?

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Ha, Dennis Miller on the montage:

Is it me, or does Jack Palance die like once per year?

Leave a comment:

• frulad
    replied
    Originally posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
    But as you have observed, she was black and, as usual, the evening went to great pains to prove its inclusiveness.
    You mean by Ellen DeG pointing out that Penelope Cruz was Mexican (she's Spanish) and the voiceover guy saying that The Departed was based on a Japanese script (it was a Hong Kong film)?

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
    But if they were remembering the 'one-armed man,' wouldn't they be celebrating the disabled as well?
    Only if he was really missing his arm. After all they gave war veteran and double amputee Harold Russell an Oscar for "The Best Years of our Lives" in 1946 even though he wasn't much of an actor.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Nazzaro
    replied
    But if they were remembering the 'one-armed man,' wouldn't they be celebrating the disabled as well? Sorry, sometimes people in Hollywood can be a bit too PC for me, and since most of them would happily compromise those morals for a buck, it usually strikes me as somewhat hypocritical. Regardless, it was a shame to not have included Andreas.

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    I honestly think that the Academy didn't feel that Andreas didn't have enough iconic FILM roles to "qualify" for inclusion. Then again, they surprised me by having Tamara Dobson in there, and she's really only known for the two blaxploitation Cleopatra Jones flicks.
    But as you have observed, she was black and, as usual, the evening went to great pains to prove its inclusiveness.

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Originally posted by vacantlook View Post
    It's not about Andreas playing G'Kar, which would have no place in the Oscar reel. To me, it's about him playing The One-armed Man, the very iconic villain from The Fugitive. Iconic villain vs minor (compared to the big staring roles of Kirk and Spock and McCoy) Enterprise crew is how I see the snub.
    That's correct. I had never intended to compare the characters of G'Kar to Scotty, but the thread sort of went that way before I joined in. So let's just say Andreas in any of his iconic villain guises was nowhere near as well known or recognizeable as Doohan as Scotty. And that's not a slight. Remember, I really wanted to see him up there.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Yes, it's very sad that they left him out, but it isn't simply about "star power." You probably saw several names in the memorial reel that most people wouldn't recognize. Like everything, this was simply politics: a HUGE number of eligible Academy members (and eligible non-members, as Andreas was) die every year, and they simply cannot include them all in the reel. What certainly affects the decision is how well known the person was (the biggest names always make it into the reel), whether or not (and how much) someone's agent or estate lobbied for their inclusion, the particular likes and dislikes of the people whose voice counts (i.e. the president of the Academy and board members), and what footage they can get. And, possibly, the wishes of the deceased's family.

I would have been perfectly okay about them leaving him out of this year's reel but for the inclusion of...James Doohan. Whose only famous film roles were in the Star Trek films, and who died...in July of 2005 (as pointed out earlier on this thread). IMHO, it would have been much more appropriate for the Emmys to honor Doohan. The Star Trek films were only big films because of how well-known the television series is: the fanbase for those films, and the box office dollars, are rooted in television. Andreas, on the other hand, had a real career in the film industry, and none of those roles were anything to do with springboarding off a television career.

I'm probably going to write to the Academy just because I feel like Doohan may have taken Andreas's place (when I called about this a few weeks ago, I'd been told that Andreas was "on the short list). And since they've now broken precedent and included a person who died well outside the specified range, certainly that opens up the question of whether Andreas can be included in next year's reel.

So, yes, I was disappointed, but not tremendously surprised.

Edited to add: Kirk's line was not the only audible line in the reel; I think Don Knotts may have also had a line, but now I'm not sure. I have it recorded and will watch it again tonight and report back.
    Last edited by AmyG; 02-26-2007, 12:25 PM. Reason: Additional thought

Leave a comment:

• vacantlook
    replied
    Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
    Even if Doohan only had one big role, you must admit that role plays a major part in our popular culture. Sadly, our favorite Narn doesn't have that kind of star power (no pun intended)....
    It's not about Andreas playing G'Kar, which would have no place in the Oscar reel. To me, it's about him playing The One-armed Man, the very iconic villain from The Fugitive. Iconic villain vs minor (compared to the big staring roles of Kirk and Spock and McCoy) Enterprise crew is how I see the snub.

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Though I don't begrudge him his spot in the reel, it felt somewhat a slap in the face that James Doohan was included but Andreas wasn't.
    Even if Doohan only had one big role, you must admit that role plays a major part in our popular culture. Sadly, our favorite Narn doesn't have that kind of star power (no pun intended). I also liked Kirk's "Thank you, Mister Scott", but I don't believe it was the only vocal clip in the montage, I think there was at least one other.

Leave a comment:

• frulad
    replied
    Though I don't begrudge him his spot in the reel, it felt somewhat a slap in the face that James Doohan was included but Andreas wasn't.
    I have to admit that I teared up a little when the only dialogue in the whole montage was Shatner's "Thank you Mr. Scott." Still, seeing as how he passed away in July 2005, I was surprised that he was included this year instead of last.

I honestly think that the Academy didn't feel that Andreas didn't have enough iconic FILM roles to "qualify" for inclusion. Then again, they surprised me by having Tamara Dobson in there, and she's really only known for the two blaxploitation Cleopatra Jones flicks.

Leave a comment:

• The_One
    replied
    That sucks

On a related note, however, when I was watching the BAFTAs the other week, I noticed they had included Johnny Sekka in their memorial reel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X