Andreas Katsulas and the Oscar 2007 memorial reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmyG View Post
    We'll only pounce on a newbie if they happen to mention they're a masochist...
    No problems there. I've been called a lot of things in my life but never a masochist. My fiancee and ex-wife have called me something different.

You've got my vote! 10
    Ranger Code

We walk in the places no others will enter.
    We do not break away from combat.
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
    We do not retreat whatever the reason.
    We live for The One, we die for The One.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFourtyTwo View Post
      You've got my vote! 10
      Thanks, John!

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG View Post
        Thanks, John!
        No problem.
        Ranger Code

We walk in the places no others will enter.
        We do not break away from combat.
        We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
        We do not retreat whatever the reason.
        We live for The One, we die for The One.

Comment

Hi, all.

I got the Academy on the phone today about this. Andreas is on the list of people they're considering for inclusion in the reel, but it's not the 'short list' yet. They need to hear from a lot of people for us to make any impact at all on their decision. Please, if you haven't written them yet, take five minutes and drop them an e-mail saying you'd like to see Andreas in this year's memorial reel during the Oscars broadcast:

http://www.oscars.org/contact/general.html

Remember to talk about his movie roles that were memorable for you. You can find them listed here:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0441537/

It doesn't have to be a big, long deal -- just a short note saying you're looking forward to seeing the Oscars this year, and that you certainly hope they're planning on honoring Andreas Katsulas, who passed on 2/13/06, in the memorial reel during the broadcast. And that you loved his performance in (insert "The Fugitive" and other film titles here).

Thanks, all.

Amy

Comment

Bastards. Bastards!

How the fuck did they miss including him? They had set designers and costumers and songwriters from the 1700s and they didn't include Andreas? Oh, now it's ON!
            "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Oh, hell. That's a major drag! I was actually watching for some time and finally came home and apparently just missed it. That SO sucks.

Amy, you did everything you could, two years in a row. Nobody could've done more, I don't think.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Though I don't begrudge him his spot in the reel, it felt somewhat a slap in the face that James Doohan was included but Andreas wasn't.

Comment

That sucks

On a related note, however, when I was watching the BAFTAs the other week, I noticed they had included Johnny Sekka in their memorial reel.

Comment

Originally posted by vacantlook View Post
                    Though I don't begrudge him his spot in the reel, it felt somewhat a slap in the face that James Doohan was included but Andreas wasn't.
                    I have to admit that I teared up a little when the only dialogue in the whole montage was Shatner's "Thank you Mr. Scott." Still, seeing as how he passed away in July 2005, I was surprised that he was included this year instead of last.

I honestly think that the Academy didn't feel that Andreas didn't have enough iconic FILM roles to "qualify" for inclusion. Then again, they surprised me by having Tamara Dobson in there, and she's really only known for the two blaxploitation Cleopatra Jones flicks.
                    Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Even if Doohan only had one big role, you must admit that role plays a major part in our popular culture. Sadly, our favorite Narn doesn't have that kind of star power (no pun intended). I also liked Kirk's "Thank you, Mister Scott", but I don't believe it was the only vocal clip in the montage, I think there was at least one other.
                      Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
                        Even if Doohan only had one big role, you must admit that role plays a major part in our popular culture. Sadly, our favorite Narn doesn't have that kind of star power (no pun intended)....
                        It's not about Andreas playing G'Kar, which would have no place in the Oscar reel. To me, it's about him playing The One-armed Man, the very iconic villain from The Fugitive. Iconic villain vs minor (compared to the big staring roles of Kirk and Spock and McCoy) Enterprise crew is how I see the snub.

Comment

Yes, it's very sad that they left him out, but it isn't simply about "star power." You probably saw several names in the memorial reel that most people wouldn't recognize. Like everything, this was simply politics: a HUGE number of eligible Academy members (and eligible non-members, as Andreas was) die every year, and they simply cannot include them all in the reel. What certainly affects the decision is how well known the person was (the biggest names always make it into the reel), whether or not (and how much) someone's agent or estate lobbied for their inclusion, the particular likes and dislikes of the people whose voice counts (i.e. the president of the Academy and board members), and what footage they can get. And, possibly, the wishes of the deceased's family.

I would have been perfectly okay about them leaving him out of this year's reel but for the inclusion of...James Doohan. Whose only famous film roles were in the Star Trek films, and who died...in July of 2005 (as pointed out earlier on this thread). IMHO, it would have been much more appropriate for the Emmys to honor Doohan. The Star Trek films were only big films because of how well-known the television series is: the fanbase for those films, and the box office dollars, are rooted in television. Andreas, on the other hand, had a real career in the film industry, and none of those roles were anything to do with springboarding off a television career.

I'm probably going to write to the Academy just because I feel like Doohan may have taken Andreas's place (when I called about this a few weeks ago, I'd been told that Andreas was "on the short list). And since they've now broken precedent and included a person who died well outside the specified range, certainly that opens up the question of whether Andreas can be included in next year's reel.

So, yes, I was disappointed, but not tremendously surprised.

Edited to add: Kirk's line was not the only audible line in the reel; I think Don Knotts may have also had a line, but now I'm not sure. I have it recorded and will watch it again tonight and report back.
                          Last edited by AmyG; 02-26-2007, 12:25 PM. Reason: Additional thought

Comment

It's not about Andreas playing G'Kar, which would have no place in the Oscar reel. To me, it's about him playing The One-armed Man, the very iconic villain from The Fugitive. Iconic villain vs minor (compared to the big staring roles of Kirk and Spock and McCoy) Enterprise crew is how I see the snub.
                            That's correct. I had never intended to compare the characters of G'Kar to Scotty, but the thread sort of went that way before I joined in. So let's just say Andreas in any of his iconic villain guises was nowhere near as well known or recognizeable as Doohan as Scotty. And that's not a slight. Remember, I really wanted to see him up there.

Comment

I honestly think that the Academy didn't feel that Andreas didn't have enough iconic FILM roles to "qualify" for inclusion. Then again, they surprised me by having Tamara Dobson in there, and she's really only known for the two blaxploitation Cleopatra Jones flicks.
                              But as you have observed, she was black and, as usual, the evening went to great pains to prove its inclusiveness.

Comment

But if they were remembering the 'one-armed man,' wouldn't they be celebrating the disabled as well? Sorry, sometimes people in Hollywood can be a bit too PC for me, and since most of them would happily compromise those morals for a buck, it usually strikes me as somewhat hypocritical. Regardless, it was a shame to not have included Andreas.

Comment

Working...
                                X