Tease: The most hard B5 question ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tease: The most hard B5 question ever

Pick your favorite episode! just one! dont go "oh i like this then this then that"
    Just 1......The One

Its really hard for me since i love them all but if like my life is in danger and the only way to live is to pick one episode,i would say War Without End (both of the epsiodes,and its not exactly a cheat since its the same story).
    Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

This is aactually a no-brainer for me; Severed Dreams. I remember watching that for the first time and being absolutely flabbergasted at how intense it was for so long. It had Delenn's best line (and probably the best line in the series) and it was Franke's best work to date.

From that episode on the show was completely different.
    I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

WWE!? Are you kidding? Aside from the brief moment in the future, and a few other revelations, the majority of those two episodes were way too expostion heavy to really enjoy.
      The events and circumstances of 2260, remained exactly the same at the shows end, so there were no major changes in the overall storyline (esp compared with Severed Dreams, Shadow Dancing for ex.).

Since I never really started watching B5 until late season 4, its kind of hard for me to say which ep is my favorite. By way of comparison, having watched the first three seasons so far, I'd have to say that while season 3 came the closest to rivaling season 4, the sweep of events was too often broken up with isolated, non-arc content to sustain the overall suspense and tension. Seasons One and Two had their moments, but were way to filler ep. heavy for my liking. In essense, I'd say season 4 showed B5 at its best, BUT unfortunately ruins the prior three when you view them with higher expectations (more epic, superior music and cgi, NO filler).

So far I'd have to say that the ep. that had me stunned the most was ''Comes the Inquisitor'' in late season Two. This was a VERY well writtten episode, and definately one of the hardest moments we see for the two main characters. It was too bad we never got to see Jack again; I dont care how evil he is, i think he was too interesting a character to get killed off after just one ep. Brilliant performance by WA.

Comment

mmm

Fave B5 episode - this is really tricky.

I have many faves - for different reasons.

Severed Dreams - intense and very entertaining sfx spectacular.

Comes the Inquisitor - Sebastian shows the Vorlons true colours!

Passing through Gethsemene - Courage, Self sacrifice, facing the consequences of your actions and the value of forgiveness.

Whatever happened to Mr Garibaldi? - The discussions between Lorien and Sheridan. The Vorlons new found aggresion towards the shadows and anybody who supports them. just who are the bad guys?

Into the fire - The shadows and vorlons along with the first ones leave the galaxy forever?

Endgame - the demise of Clark, and Marcus's sacrifice.

The fall of Centauri prime. - Finally Londo had what he wanted - but at a terrible price.

But my real fave is......

Sleeping in light - I had the wife evacuate the house, pulled up a comfy chair and a beer for this one. I am not ashamed i had a wee cry with this one. An amazing piece of writing. I suppose because you get so attached to these characters over 5 years there was a definate sense of loss but also new beginnings. You really did feel for Sheridan for having to leave Delenn, and for Delenn who knew she would lose Sheridan but when the time came was not really ready. And of course the detonation of Babylon 5 herself - wow.

Love and Loss - This was JMS's best writing in my opinion. And the score - wonderfully composed by Chris franke - his best score by a long way.

I would personally like to thank JMS for 'Sleeping in light' - this really helped with a situation in my own life. It gave me something I cannot describe which I hope I can repay one day.

Cheers Joe.
        Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Originally posted by CRONAN
          WWE!? Are you kidding?
          Hehe no im not,i remember the first time i watched it,man oh man it blew me away...specially the part with Sinclair/Valen..i stood on my feet and went OMG OMFG OMG.

Still watching WWE today gives me the OMG vibe

Of course Severed Dreams is one of the best,but still i stand firm in my decision..

Comment

Hey, were all entitled to an opinion, im not disputing that.

Comment

My favourite episode is Sleeping in Light, although WWE is a very very close 2nd. The only reason SiL is my favourite is because it's story online took 1 episode wheras WWE took 2 episodes, but when it comes down to it they're the only two episodes that still blow me away just as much as the first time I saw them. They haven't lost their effect on me, and I can't say that for really any of the rest... I still enjoy them, they're just as good of a story, but they don't blow me away as much as the first time did.

SiL and WWE still do, which is even more impressive considering I've watched WWE more then any other episode.

Comment

I agree with you Ranger1

Whilst with repeat watching, other episodes probably are more intense and become more important, i have to say that from the firsttime viewing experience (the most important ) WWE was definately the most omfg epic wtf genius i've ever seen on tv or anywhere really. Even my sci-fi hating flatmates were stunned an uttered omfg quite a fewtimes too.
                (yes they became B5 fans
                One up for the angry Teep

Comment

Re: Tease: The most hard B5 question ever

Originally posted by Ranger1
                  Pick your favorite episode! just one!
                  No offense, but this is a silly question. It's like asking, "What was your favorite chapter in A Tale of Two Cities?" It makes no sense to pick one chapter out of a novel. Likewise, it makes no sense for the Babylon 5 tv novel.

"Which is the best episode?" is a question that only true applies to a Short Story Anthology/Series like I Robot or Star Trek.

(shrug)

Okay...
                  B5: "Babylon Squared" (time travel/impending war)
                  TOS: "City on the Edge of Forever" (Kirk kills lover)
                  TNG: "Best of Both Worlds" (Picard as Borg)
                  DS9: "The Visitor" (tearful story of father-son separation)

Comment

Re: Re: Tease: The most hard B5 question ever

Originally posted by RCmodeler
                    No offense, but this is a silly question. It's like asking, "What was your favorite chapter in A Tale of Two Cities?" It makes no sense to pick one chapter out of a novel. Likewise, it makes no sense for the Babylon 5 tv novel.

"Which is the best episode?" is a question that only true applies to a Short Story Anthology/Series like I Robot or Star Trek.

(shrug)

Okay...
                    B5: "Babylon Squared" (time travel/impending war)
                    TOS: "City on the Edge of Forever" (Kirk kills lover)
                    TNG: "Best of Both Worlds" (Picard as Borg)
                    DS9: "The Visitor" (tearful story of father-son separation)
                    Silly question,don't reply

Comment

Hmmm. I wonder if we'll ever see a story truely magnificent as Babylon 5 in our lifetime.

Surely jms is capable of doing it again, the question is whether or not he'd survive the process.

Now that I think of it, I dont think any piece of storytelling has ever effected me to the extent that B5 has...

Comment

Originally posted by CRONAN
                        Hmmm. I wonder if we'll ever see a story truely magnificent as Babylon 5 in our lifetime.
                        I hope so, but I tend to doubt it. The fact that B5 fell off the radar of the note-givers was a tremendous fluke.

Surely jms is capable of doing it again, the question is whether or not he'd survive the process.
                        He's said that he'll never attempt anything so complex again. What a lot of people don't realize is that when he says that B5 almost killed him, it's not hyperbole. In the memoir he wrote for TVZone, he tells that he was actually taken to the hospital at one point with heart irregularities.

Now that I think of it, I dont think any piece of storytelling has ever effected me to the extent that B5 has...
                        Nor I. Which is why, whatever JMS writes and sends out, bit it comic, tv, short story, novel ar anything else... I'm there! Every once in a while he may produce something not to my taste but I trust that there'll be at least one character I'll care about.

Jan
                        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Bester is the man. I can't find anything to complain about with any of his episodes. Dust to Dust comes to mind...a stunning episode, several things converge. Londo's involvement with the Narn war is discovered by Gkar. G'kar begins his eventual transformation. And yet another killer performance from Walter Koenig. "I'm here to save your butts! Try to show a little gratitude." "On second thought maybe wounding him a little isn't such a bad idea"

Other great episodes are mentioned...WWE? Great story. Time travel actually done correctly! Severed Dreams? Major turning point in the arc. SiL? Another great one, although I expected something major to happen - like Sheridan turns into a Vorlon. Haha! Just kidding...

May I add my four as Ranger1 did?

B5 - In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum (Sheridan, Morden, and the first ones)
                          TOS - The Doomsday Machine (taught, phycological thriller)
                          TNG - The Inner Light (Picard lives an entire lifetime on dead planet)
                          [special kudos to "The Nth Degree" - Barclay gets zapped by probe which makes him super-genius]
                          DS9 - Far Beyond the Stars (Sisko deals with injustice in society as scifi writer in 1950's)

All things said, I sure would like to find the JMS episodes of the Real Ghostbusters on DVD. Heard a lot about them, but never saw one.
                          "The cat is not evil for killing the rat, nor is the rat evil for stealing the grain. Each acts according to its nature." Master Po - Kung Fu:TOS

Comment

Working...
                          X