X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin
    replied
    That's kind of what JMS does now.

The first batch of B5 books were pretty bad, because mostly they followed that age-old sci-fi structure. As such, only the 2 that had authors that JMS worked with have been reprinted. The rest are considered non-canon.

Now all the B5 books are based on JMS outlines. That being, all of the three trilogies. We can expect that any future B5 novelizations would also follow in this pattern

Leave a comment:

• Omega
    replied
    Well, to all of your credit, I have become slightly interested in the books. So you've done your job.

But yeah, I'm very into B5, made a Starfury model that I got one year But I'm not completley obsessed. For lack of better terms, let's just say I'm REALLY INTERESTED for now.

Going and getting the books is a geekmark I've rarely been inclined to take on. In Star Trek, books always seemed like fly-by-night stories that some writer thought would be perfect to add. Rarely does it hold true to what the real story is about. Same with Star Wars. They're just all over the place. Too many ideas.

There needs to be some kind of chronology released for the B5 universe. Big name characters and the important people they're involved with would be outlined. Primary events would be dotted here and there.
    Then after that, people can buy up plots of story-rights from JMS and make books...movies...and what I want more than ever to this day....Computer games

Leave a comment:

• CRONAN
    replied
    Originally posted by grumbler
    The choice isn't really between reading the books and insisting that the plots are unresolved. These plotlines HAVE been resolved in the books which JMS has declared canon, but you don't have to read them, just find a page on the internet that "spoils" them and you will have the resolutions.

Of course, you have to be willing to read the web pages!
    Yes, this has been a constant problem for me, having to cope with spoilers on the internet, while waiting for the next season to be released....

One thing to keep in mind though, is that not everyone is as mildly obsessive about B5 as some people (i'll admit I'm a *liitlle* obsessed myself). A sure sign of this is if they choose not to dedicate the time and effort it takes to wade through the mediocre, written plot lines (WARNING: THIS IS AN OPINION) in order to resolve every single thread in the five year arc.

I have the feeling theyre better off for it.....

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Omega
    Books? Don't care to read them. No time, no interest. Better things to do with my time, or plenty of other things to read.

If I want content, I want it presented to me at least as a game so I can involve myself. I really dislike having to alot time for a stupid trilogy of books. Half the fun of B5 is taking in all the actors and characters in easy-to-relate-to presentation.

To me, the B5 SERIES fan, the plots are unresolved. Case closed.
    The choice isn't really between reading the books and insisting that the plots are unresolved. These plotlines HAVE been resolved in the books which JMS has declared canon, but you don't have to read them, just find a page on the internet that "spoils" them and you will have the resolutions.

Of course, you have to be willing to read the web pages!

Leave a comment:

• RCmodeler
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin
    First off, to respond to RC_modeler never in the series it's stated that Talia is dead...
    I never said she was.

re: BOOKS. Rather than re-watch B5 for the 20th time, or the crapola called Enterprise, go read "To Dream in the City of Sorrows". It will only take a day, and you can find the time.

As for Sinclair's girl, I wouldn't say it's un-resolved. She just wasn't important. Like G'Kar's Na'toth. So she was removed. JMS did that a lot when he thought there wasn't enough room.

Leave a comment:

• Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    replied
    IMO, you're missing out on some good stories
    Well said, Jan. Lot of good information in those books, neatly filling in the gaps.

I agree with many of the posters about TV/film scifi books. I have NEVER been a fan of the thousands of Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. books out there. I think in all the years I've watched Star Trek (many many years) I have read only one novel.

The B5 canon books are completely different. Authorized and outlined by JMS, I see them as episodes that were never produced. That's not exactly correct though, more like pieces of episodes merged into fully realized plots.

I myself loved the Technomage Trilogy, especially the second book that shows what was REALLY going on in the Geometry of Shadows - and what you see in the episode is only about one third of what is actually happening.

The Shadow Within didn't do as much for me as the others, although it was neat to see how the details of Morden's story fit into the big picture.

The Psi Corps trilogy was tremendous. It's weird how you actually feel differently about Bester as you read the second book. Seeing things from his point of view gives the character a different feel.
    Last edited by Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt; 04-15-2004, 10:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied
    I think most of the plots mentioned here provided some really nice in between arc episodes. F.ex. I found the highly criticised TKO, to be an amusing episode, and certainly not racist.

During the entire run of Babylon 5, there have been one or two episodes that I get a little bit bored with watching after a couple of times, but no episodes I disliked the first time I saw them.

Which episode/plot was the worst ever? I have to think about that one.

Leave a comment:

• CRONAN
    replied
    Books. Some people enjoy reading them. Others may apply them to a different application (fuel for a fire, stuffing for a pillow, lethal projectile, etc.). No shame in getting comfortable on top of a good book.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Omega
    Books? Don't care to read them. No time, no interest. Better things to do with my time, or plenty of other things to read.

If I want content, I want it presented to me at least as a game so I can involve myself. I really dislike having to alot time for a stupid trilogy of books. Half the fun of B5 is taking in all the actors and characters in easy-to-relate-to presentation.

Just don't expect to see them resolved in any other medium, "easy to relate to" or otherwise. IMO, you're missing out on some good stories.

Jan
    B5 STORY fan

Leave a comment:

• Kevin
    replied
    Okay a few responses here...

First off, to respond to RC_modeler never in the series it's stated that Talia is dead, unless you count Bester's comment about disecting her, but that was more to piss them off, and as Ivanova said, get them angry so they'd be easier to scan. The chances of it being true are quite minimal. And I think it's highly doubtful any JMS project will be about David and the rest. Peter David's trilogy settles that, and jms has indicated he has no desire to go back into what has already been covered and is offical.

Second, To Dream in the City of Sorrows is an excellent book (not triology) and probably one of the fan favourites. And onestly, you really can't expect the series to settle every single plot line, especially when the series had to change and take on new plotlines that were not originally intended. The fact that the Sinclair-Sakai one was wrapped up so well, I think, is impressive to say the least.

As for the Technomage trilogy, it's my least favourite of the lot. I was never crazy about technomages in the first place and I was even less thrilled to spend the time I did reading three books about them. When it came to B5 books, I was intresting about reading the characters I learned and cared about and resolving plotlines the series simply didn't have time for... the Technomage triliogy really didn't involve any characters I cared about from the series and didn't resolve any plotlines I had had questions about.

Leave a comment:

• Omega
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CRONAN
    replied

A very easy read with plenty of information. Who could ask for more? ]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What more could you ask for? How about a story that can hold your interest....

So far I've read 7 of the B5 books, and out of all those the only ones managed this feat were those in the Technomage trilogy.
    Not to belabor the point, but the Tech series was *very* well thought through; yes jms outlined the general direction of the story, but the author connected all of these elements together very well, in fact I'm rather surpised she's not a technomage herself.

With most of the others I found myself skipping the plot in favor of the exposition. Though in all fairness I have yet to read the Centauri Tril....
    Last edited by CRONAN; 04-12-2004, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    replied
    Did anyone hear her side of things when Sinclair goes back in time and turns into Valen? Didn't think so.
    Actually, yes we do have this information in detail. But I won't answer because...it would spoil it for you, in a big way.

I know this is beginning to get a bit redundant, but read To Dream in the City of Sorrows. Your question, along with many others, is explored fully. And according to JMS himself, the book is authorized canon. It contains three major plots: Sinclair, his experiences as ambassador and eventually Entil'Zha; Marcus Cole, his brother (Will) and the events leading to his joining the Rangers as well as his training; and Catherine Sakai, basically what happened to her after we last see her in Season 1, and her eventual fate.

A very easy read with plenty of information. Who could ask for more?

Leave a comment:

• Omega
    replied
    Grey 17 just bored me to death each time. It's a good thing that episode is paired up with content on the other side of the coin...Because I'd write it off completley if it weren't for that.

Sinclair and his lady was either too little, or not explored enough. I think she may have just been a reason to give the head guy a girl to land on. She diluted away as the plot started pouring in.

I mean...Did anyone hear her side of things when Sinclair goes back in time and turns into Valen? Didn't think so. I mean, just what the hell happens to her, and what does she do when she realizes the guy she's seeing intermittently has suddenly started showing up in alien history books?

Hah.

Grey 17...Was just another "raiders" placebo I guess. Something to go alongside the rest to make the pill easier to swallow.

To have so little coming up to a show though, is still a good mark. When I think about it, there are lots of things about other shows that just kill it entirely. B5 comes off pretty good, given that no one episode is ENTIRELY boring. Each one has a payoff that makes everything worth it.

Leave a comment:

• RCmodeler
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: Poll: The most boring sub-plot in B5

Originally posted by Kevin
    Only reason it never came up was because Andrea Thompson left the show. Had she stayed on, these events would have been the foundation for her super-teepness.

And don't discount that plot device yet. JMS ain't done with the Telepath story, and it may still come up down the road.
    (1) Okay, but it doesn't change my opinion that the Talia/Ironside/Mind Recorder still qualifies as the worst subplot.

(2) JMS may not be done, but Babylon 5 is. (And no, I don't think the movie will have Talia in it...dead is dead...besides it will likely be about Sheridan/Delenn/Londo and their son.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X