Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

day in the strife question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • day in the strife question

    the race that sent the probe/bomb i always assumed they were at least working with the shadows but did we ever learn anything about them at all?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Lunan
    the race that sent the probe/bomb i always assumed they were at least working with the shadows but did we ever learn anything about them at all?
    I never thought they were working with the Shadows. Just as in Middle Earth not all evil things were in league with Sauron ("... some have been in the world longer than he..."), not all malevolent forces in the B5 universe were connected to the Shadows. The Streib were doing their thing purely for their own reasons, as were the bullet-headed aliens from "A View from the Gallery".

    And no, we never learned anything furhter about them, which is another reason I suspect they were just a one-shot menace, intended to remind us that the universe is a vast, mysterious and dangerous place quite apart particular threats like the Shadows - and perhaps a subconcious reminder that defeating the Shadows would not necessarily mean a risk-free universe.

    Regards,

    Joe
    Joseph DeMartino
    Sigh Corps
    Pat Tallman Division

    Comment


    • #3
      Truthfully, the probe's creators would be at odds with the Shadows' beliefs.

      SPOILERS (just in case)















      Like 'em or hate 'em, the Shadows did what they did to foster evolution and advancement of the younger races. The probe makers were just a bunch of ridiculously xenophobic assholes looking to eliminate any races who were reaching a level of advancement that would make them a threat.

      Ironically, blowing up B5 would not eliminate the perceived threat from Earth or any of the other, more superior races. In fact, in a scenario where B5 was destroyed and Kosh was killed, there is always the possibility that the Vorlons would backtrack that thing and show up with a Planet Killer. So it's definitely not the smartest idea, unless you're absolutely sure you won't get caught.
      Only a fool fights in a burning house.

      Comment


      • #4
        Errrr, as someone who saw that specific episode just two hours ago I have to say that it strongly resembled a small version of Drakh raider. Don't you think?
        What's up Drakh?

        Comment


        • #5
          I thought it looked like a bloomin' onion.
          Only a fool fights in a burning house.

          Comment


          • #6
            From time to time I have thought about that raceà I wondered if they, I was thinking about this as alternative reality ôwhat ifö scenario, sent multiple probes in to space and they simply passed developing races such as Earth, because we didnÆt understand or developed the frequency to receive their instructions as was given to Babylon 5 (in Babylon 5 Earth past).

            (present reality) I wondered ôifö with todayÆs radio telescopes and satellite frequencies what we would do if something like this happened to us today. Would scientists debate the benefits of advance technology or will the governments fear of the unknown prevent us from learning about whatÆs really out there, and would we be so dumb as to answer those questions thinking Aliens are friendly or reject this promise of advance technology for fear of advancing too fast from an unknown source?

            I know I would be reluctant to receive advance technology and knowledge with out a catchà But it is a catch 22? What would you do?
            "The world is a dangerous place---not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" --Albert Einstein

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by I love Lyta
              Errrr, as someone who saw that specific episode just two hours ago I have to say that it strongly resembled a small version of Drakh raider. Don't you think?
              You are right. I would say they just reused the idea in another ship. They wanted the edgy look.

              That probe was a one off plot device.
              "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rallytbk
                From time to time I have thought about that raceà I wondered if they, I was thinking about this as alternative reality ôwhat ifö scenario, sent multiple probes in to space and they simply passed developing races such as Earth, because we didnÆt understand or developed the frequency to receive their instructions as was given to Babylon 5 (in Babylon 5 Earth past).

                (present reality) I wondered ôifö with todayÆs radio telescopes and satellite frequencies what we would do if something like this happened to us today. Would scientists debate the benefits of advance technology or will the governments fear of the unknown prevent us from learning about whatÆs really out there, and would we be so dumb as to answer those questions thinking Aliens are friendly or reject this promise of advance technology for fear of advancing too fast from an unknown source?

                I know I would be reluctant to receive advance technology and knowledge with out a catchà But it is a catch 22? What would you do?
                jms addressed this issue at the time of the episode. He said a commission was formed during either the Nixon or Ford Administration in order to come up with an action plan for such an event.

                Their ultimate recommendation: DON'T ANSWER. Just let it keep going.
                Only a fool fights in a burning house.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
                  jms addressed this issue at the time of the episode. He said a commission was formed during either the Nixon or Ford Administration in order to come up with an action plan for such an event.

                  Their ultimate recommendation: DON'T ANSWER. Just let it keep going.

                  what a load of horseshit. just because humans are inhertily aggressive, pessimistic, xenophobic, assholes does not mean that all life in the universe will be, now that said there are reason to travel to other stars some "good" some "bad"

                  for scientific advances
                  to learn
                  because it is there
                  to find new resources to exploit
                  to settle colinists (with or without the approval of the colinists)
                  if an alien race appeared tomorrow and offered to advance our tech by 200 year or 2000 years i would say YES without looking at the contract

                  my only worry would be clarke's third law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
                  the reason i would worry is that humans still as a whole require deities and such a change could be seen as "from the gods" and religion is something we need to outgrow

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lunan
                    what a load of horseshit. just because humans are inhertily aggressive, pessimistic, xenophobic, assholes does not mean that all life in the universe will be, now that said there are reason to travel to other stars some "good" some "bad"
                    Of course it won't all be.

                    But you want to flip a coin as to which will be the first to find us, or the first we find? Heads is harmony, tails we all die in a fiery apocalypse.
                    Radhil Trebors
                    Persona Under Construction

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Although personally I would love to have the opportunity, one would really have to consider whether mankind should be allowed to travel to the stars or not.
                      Think about it. The Earth - Minbari War may have been set off due to the misunderstanding about the open gun ports, BUT that one only came to pass because some powerhungry ignorant politicians and generals who thought that if they can take on the Dilgar they're ready for ANY oppostion wanted to expand their sphere of influence at all costs. With which result? They brought mankind to the verge of extiction and threw everything left against the enemy while THEY were trying to save their sorry asses through evacuation.
                      Granted, that could have happened during a scientific expedition too. But EF HAS been warned not to go to the Minbari sector up front, but they wouldn't listen...

                      And then there would be the urge to find more advanced tech and especially weapons on deserted worlds and trying to make use of it at any costs of course, to be able to conquer more and more worlds.

                      I think JMS drew a very reallistic picture of what would happen. Not including the part about mankind being the one race that brings peace and harmony to the galaxy though.
                      But that's just MY opnion. Others my differ.
                      Last edited by I love Lyta; 01-03-2007, 05:17 AM.
                      What's up Drakh?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lunan
                        what a load of horseshit. just because humans are inhertily aggressive, pessimistic, xenophobic, assholes does not mean that all life in the universe will be, now that said there are reason to travel to other stars some "good" some "bad"
                        It wasn't a Presidential Commission, as I recall, it was just a university symposium on the topic. However, B5_O is correct that the consensus was not to answer. We had a discussion on this not too long ago (maybe last summer).

                        The reason is simple: the downsides to contact are a lot more dire than the upsides. Pretty much the biggest upside to the contact is that we would know that interstellar flight was possible, and we get this upside without responding. The only benefit to responding would be to save some time developing the tech. The downside is potentially catastrophic.

                        Now, if the Earth were dying and we needed interstellar travel within a limited time, contact would be the better choice... but only then.
                        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Stealing knowledge

                          If the aliens slipped in a few questions they didn't know the answer to, they would at the same time be gathering information. I bit stupid to annihilate possible sources of knowledge though...

                          It could also have been an extra option to find a cure in Crusade... send a load of probes and see if you hit the jackpot. Of course, you might have woken a sleeping dragon...
                          Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
                          John Sheridan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A golden one e.g.
                            No, wait. They already met one...
                            What's up Drakh?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X