Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crusade

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crusade

    Im Relatvely new to the B5 Universe, and i have bought and watched all the DVD sets, and in my opinion Crusade had a lot of potential, with a different energy to B5 which frankly i preferr. Does anyone think that there is a chance that the story of Crusade could be continued in The Lost Tales or perhaps some TV Movies? I realise it being over 7 years down the line it is unlikely this will happen, but i would like to Crusade return in one form or another. Am i alone or there others out there who feel the same way?
    Last edited by munnp001; 12-24-2006, 06:49 AM.

  • #2
    You're certainly not alone, and while I certainly don't blame anyone who disliked the episodes we got, I thought there was some potential for some really nifty stuff in there too.

    To your question to the chances of a Crusade continuation in TLT; if you would want to see the 5 year arc story as it would've played out had the show not been cancelled, then the answer is that we're almost certainly not going to see that.

    Are we going to see certain story elements that would have been touched upon? Yes, there is actually a pretty decent chance for that. Apart from the plague, the biggest event in the background of Crusade as we saw it was probably the teep war. And JMS has stated that he does want to get to that, at the SDCC panel TLT was announced at:
    Q: My question is, there is still a great big gaping hole in the Babylon 5 story. Will we ever see anything of the Telepath War?

    JMS: As IÆm laying out these DVDs IÆm thinking ôWe can do this story with Sheridan, this story with so-and-so, this storyàooh, Lytaàthe Telepath War. So IÆm starting to play with that for down the road. HereÆs the deal, if these first DVDs sell well, if the broadcast get good ratings, these will be an ongoing thing. We will keep putting out æThe Lost TalesÆ and broadening that out until weÆve got ten thousand of them, whatever it is. If you want to get to the Telepath Wars, get the first ones. Eventually we do plan to get to that, yeah. Or I plan to get to that anyway.
    The other big thing that Crusade would've touched upon is the subject of left over shadow tech. The plague is of course an example of this, but from interviews and online postings, JMS has made it clear that left over shadow tech would have ended up playing a much wider role in the story, in particular tech left over at the EA. One character that has a particularly strong tie with this subject in his personal back story is Galen, a character we're going to see in Voices in the Dark. Some of the cryptic story descriptions you can find here have been speculated by fans as potentially concerning this subject, but there is no way to tell if this is so from what JMS has said so far.

    Will we see any events that would've happened during Crusade's run? Yes, sort of. The first TLT instalment is set 10 years after the founding of the ISA, or roughly 9 years after B5's final season set in 2262. This places it roughly at the fifth season of Crusade, had it not been cancelled. Are the events in Voices in the Dark big enough that they would've been mentioned in Crusade, or relevant enough to the story Crusade would've been telling that it would've been part of that show? No way to tell, really. But there is some overlap there timeframe wise.

    If the question is, will we see any Crusade characters, then there the answer is a definite yes. While Galen appeared in ActA, technically a B5 movie, he was very much a Crusade character, and like I said, he will appear in the first TLT installment.
    Last edited by Shabaz; 12-24-2006, 07:58 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      You are not alone. I and many others worked hard to prevent TNT from killing Crusade. It was a fantastic show with great potential. I think that "Racing the Night" is an example of that potential being realized. I believe that Galen would have been the "New G'kar" in the sense that he understood how mysterious and strange the universe and the things within it were.

      Will we see a continuation of Crusade? Well if you'd asked me this time last year "Will we ever see any new Babylon 5 shows?" I would not have hesitated in replying NO!! Yet here we are with something new on the way.
      So....

      JMS is drawn to the technomages. He likes them as a concept. Evidence of that is in three out of the last four post B5 projects, technomages have been involved (Crusade, The Memory of Shadows, and now B5:TLT). Crusade will return ...in one form or another.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm in the process of getting another overdose of B5 by watching the entire series and movies during my days off and time before and after work when it permits just to get back into the groove, plus I'll be throwing the Crusade discs in also.

        So yes, I too would like to see Crusade return in one form or another.
        Ranger Code

        We walk in the places no others will enter.
        We do not break away from combat.
        We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
        We do not retreat whatever the reason.
        We live for The One, we die for The One.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by munnp001
          Im Relatvely new to the B5 Universe, and i have bought and watched all the DVD sets, and in my opinion Crusade had a lot of potential, with a different energy to B5 which frankly i preferr.
          I like 'em both, and am drawn to the characters in both. They're just different. Also, IMHO, Evan Chen's music suits Crusade, and adds just the right bit of "alien-ness" to it. There's only one bit of Chen's Crusade music that I don't like, the end credits to Ruling from the Tomb.



          Originally posted by munnp001
          Does anyone think that there is a chance that the story of Crusade could be continued in The Lost Tales or perhaps some TV Movies? I realise it being over 7 years down the line it is unlikely this will happen, but i would like to Crusade return in one form or another. Am i alone or there others out there who feel the same way?
          I, too, would like Crusade to return in one form or another. B5: The Lost Tales may help facilitate this.
          Mac Breck (KoshN)
          ------------------
          Warner Brothers is Lucy.
          JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
          Babylon 5 is the football.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tim_Fleming
            You are not alone. I and many others worked hard to prevent TNT from killing Crusade. It was a fantastic show with great potential. I think that "Racing the Night" is an example of that potential being realized.
            Hi Tim! I was just looking at my Save Crusade buttons, today. You did a GREAT job on those. My favorite is the Galen button with the Shadow Hybrid.

            BTW, the Excalibur has been my PC wallpaper for the past seven years straight. Yeah, I think it's safe to say that I'd like to see Crusade back.




            Originally posted by Tim_Fleming
            I believe that Galen would have been the "New G'kar" in the sense that he understood how mysterious and strange the universe and the things within it were.
            Hmm, I always thought of him more as the new Kosh, in the sense of him as a powerful and mysterious being.



            Originally posted by Tim_Fleming
            Will we see a continuation of Crusade? Well if you'd asked me this time last year "Will we ever see any new Babylon 5 shows?" I would not have hesitated in replying NO!! Yet here we are with something new on the way.
            So....

            JMS is drawn to the technomages. He likes them as a concept. Evidence of that is in three out of the last four post B5 projects, technomages have been involved (Crusade, The Memory of Shadows, and now B5:TLT). Crusade will return ...in one form or another.
            I'm very glad to see Galen in B5:TLT. Wish we could get some Crusade novels, though.
            Mac Breck (KoshN)
            ------------------
            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
            Babylon 5 is the football.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah that Galen button with the Shadow hybrid in the background was pretty neat. I'm glad that you liked it and still have it. Heather and I had a lot of fun making and distributing those buttons (of course we still have ours). We made several thousand of them. There was one set of buttons that all the Crusade cast (save for Capt. Gideon, couldn't find him) signed that we auctioned off for charity several years ago. Believe it or not they went for about $400. The cast was very very supportive of the fan effort to save the show (this is something that shouldn't be taken for granted). We would send Peter Woodward or Carrie Dobro a batch of buttons to give away at their tables when making convention appearances. Often this required us to know when and where their appearances would be and how many buttons and where we should send buttons too. Naturally this led to phone converstions with members of the cast. I must admit to being a little star struck when speaking with them on the phone. I would hang up and turn to Heather and say "That was strange. I was just talking with Galen". Believe me I'm not usually suceptible to that sort of thing but Heather and I loved the show so much that it was a wild experience for us. Moreover after meeting the cast we found that they were really good people. This was bittersweet because they had been treated very unfairly by TNT etc....

              I'm happy that Danial Dai Kim is having success on "Lost". I'm glad that Peter Woodward will be returning as Galen. Now JMS, bring back Carrie Dobro to play Dureena, Marjean Holden as Dr. Sara Chambers, and David Allen Brooks as Max Eilerson. All these characters played in the Babylon 5 universe and are fair game for The Lost Tales. We know the stories of the B5 cast we don't know the stories of those on Crusade.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tim_Fleming
                Yeah that Galen button with the Shadow hybrid in the background was pretty neat. I'm glad that you liked it and still have it.
                I have two of that one (bu_galmont), one of Galen by himself, and one of the Excalibur. Pictures attached.



                Originally posted by Tim_Fleming
                Naturally this led to phone converstions with members of the cast. I must admit to being a little star struck when speaking with them on the phone. I would hang up and turn to Heather and say "That was strange. I was just talking with Galen". Believe me I'm not usually suceptible to that sort of thing but Heather and I loved the show so much that it was a wild experience for us. Moreover after meeting the cast we found that they were really good people.
                A little star struck, I know what you mean. Met Peter Woodward at a Comicon in 2004, same one where I met Pat Tallman.


                Originally posted by Tim_Fleming
                This was bittersweet because they had been treated very unfairly by TNT etc....
                I have no use for that network.


                Originally posted by Tim_Fleming
                I'm happy that Danial Dai Kim is having success on "Lost". I'm glad that Peter Woodward will be returning as Galen. Now JMS, bring back Carrie Dobro to play Dureena, Marjean Holden as Dr. Sara Chambers, and David Allen Brooks as Max Eilerson. All these characters played in the Babylon 5 universe and are fair game for The Lost Tales. We know the stories of the B5 cast we don't know the stories of those on Crusade.
                ...and Gary Cole as Capt. Gideon, Daniel Dae Kim as Lt. Matheson ("Lost" isn't going to go on forever.), and even Alex Mendoza as Trace (Just glue that %*%#!# strand of hair back in place. )
                Attached Files
                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                ------------------
                Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                Babylon 5 is the football.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I haven't watched Crusade yet (right now I'm about half-way through J. Cavelos' great Technomage trilogy and I want to finish it before I meet the "grown up" Galen) but I'm wondering if JMS has ever posted about the possibility of continuing the Crusade story via graphic novel? It seems with his comic book history and connections that would be a natural way for him to get the story out to fans of his comics, Babylon 5, and Crusade. Anyone ever hear anything about this possibility?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not specifically comic/graphic novel. He was asked at Heroes Con this past summer about whether it might be done in novel form and he said no, that it was designed for TV.

                    That said, he has said that when the Crusade script books come out, that he'll include his notes so we can get an idea of how it was going to change.

                    Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      Not specifically comic/graphic novel. He was asked at Heroes Con this past summer about whether it might be done in novel form and he said no, that it was designed for TV.

                      That said, he has said that when the Crusade script books come out, that he'll include his notes so we can get an idea of how it was going to change.

                      Jan
                      Will he be oncluding the two unaired scripts in the book?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Donald View Post
                        Will he be oncluding the two unaired scripts in the book?
                        There would be no reason not to include his two unfilmed (not unaired, they were never shot, so airing them wasn't an option - Nitpicker Joe) scripts, so I'm sure he will include them.

                        Regards,

                        Joe
                        Joseph DeMartino
                        Sigh Corps
                        Pat Tallman Division

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino View Post
                          There would be no reason not to include his two unfilmed (not unaired, they were never shot, so airing them wasn't an option - Nitpicker Joe) scripts, so I'm sure he will include them.

                          Regards,

                          Joe
                          Thanks, nitpicker Joe.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I know it was only possible to get the JMS scripts published in the B5 script books, but I kind of hope they will manage to get the one unfilmed script that was written by Fiona Avery in there somehow for the Crusade books. With the demise of bookface there is no way to get a hold of it any more, and I'm sure Avery wouldn't be totally averse to setting up some deal that would allow them do so under the script publication rights she has under the separation of rights agreement.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              We can be pretty sure that Fiona's scripts won't be in the books JMS is doing. It would just be a financial nightmare for everybody. I've heard from various fans that Fiona has been made aware of JMS's project so there's the chance that she'll follow up and publish all of her Crusade scripts.

                              Jan
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X