No announcement yet.

Korean Import DVD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one could argue that having PAID for the set i also paid for the rights to use the material as i saw fit as long as it was not for general public consumption and thus obtaining digital copies is perfectly within my rights un copyright law in the us (and the law on these type of issues is far frm clear) now if i claimed that becasue i bought the latest anne mccafrey book thet i could legally download the audio version under the smae basis then i would be in error. but on the whole i tend to agree stealing is stealing IF its stealing ans thas where the issue becomes muddy

Comment

However legitimate you may feel your own claim to download the materials is having bought the originals (and I confess I don't know what the answer is on that one), I would guess that the torrent had been illegally ripped and placed out there for others to download.

Whilst fair use could be argued for making your own digital copy as a backup in case you damage or lose the original, the same rule doesn't apply where you download a copy made by someone else. If the rip is fundamentally illegal, then it is also illegal to download it no matter the circumstances.

Haven't we had this conversation recently? Or was that over on B5TV?
      Last edited by Garibaldi's Hair; 12-19-2006, 03:30 AM.
      The Optimist: The glass is half full
      The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
      The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Yes, we've had this conversation recently. As has B5TV. And the moderated group. So let's not do it again this soon or in this forum. Suffice to say that, like sharing around files with the unproduced scripts, downloading isn't something that's going to be encouraged here. Any further debate can be taken to PM or email.

Jan
        the lazy moderator with too much to do right now without having to deal with the acrimony that this discussion always brings out without convincing anybody of anything.
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

<kicking self for not having a chance to reply before Jan queered the thread>

Comment

When the TNG boxsets were released, there was a thread over at st.com about the Chinese version at $50 a set on eBay. Anyway, someone did buy a set and the only difference was the packaging had Kanji lettering instead of English. The discs themselves were the same as the ones you could buy in the States according to the poster.

I've only had a few dealings with eBay and all but the last were without problems. The last dealing, someone in Hong Kong hijacked my eBay/paypal account and tried to buy $700 worth of pink Motorola RAZOR cell phones. I alerted eBay that I didn't purchase those phones and they investigated it. I was in the clear but about two months later I got another noticed for "where's my money for the phones?" Eventually it was cleared up and I haven't bought anything else from eBay and I cancelled my account.
            Ranger Code

We walk in the places no others will enter.
            We do not break away from combat.
            We stand on the bridge and no one may pass.
            We do not retreat whatever the reason.
            We live for The One, we die for The One.

Comment

Working...
            X