Korean Import DVD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean Import DVD's

I am looking into getting some Korean imports of some TV series DVD's and I am wondering if anybody else has gotten these and had some success with them. As long as the video is top notch I could care less what the writing on the box is.

So what are your thoughts?

If they're the bootlegs I think they are, I've never heard anything good about either the video or the audio. Most of the people I've seen report back after buying illegal DVDs seem rather stunned that they didn't get top quality from crooks. Imagine that.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

i have gotten some excelent asian dvds chinese i think the only diffrence is that they are not packed as nicely and of course the writing but i am very careful to make sure i get the offical ones (where i can turn off the chinese subtitles) usually they are about a third of what i would expect to pay for the regular english ones

Comment

A cleverly written offering on EBay got me to buy a bootleg Chinese version of Band of Brothers. Other than the fact that the middle episode on every disk was unwatchable due to skipping, and that the video had clearly been digitized from analog somewhere along the line (lots of pixellation in spots), it was worth fully half what I paid for it. The "money-back guarantee" was crap as well.

To me, the time and aggravation aren't worth it even if it only happens once in every three or four times.
        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

If you buy this crap off eBay, you'll likely get crap. If you buy from a commercial site you'll likely get crap if you get anything at all, and you'll also be handing over your credit card number and home address to people who are, by definition, crooks. What could possible go wrong?

The old rule applies: If a deal seems too good to be true, it almost certainly is. And it is our own greed - our wish to get something for nothing or a great deal for very little - that makes it possible for swindlers to rob us.

Regards,

Joe
          Joseph DeMartino
          Sigh Corps
          Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Hey Guys,

When I was in Japan I found season One (in two parts) and purchased it. It was great to hear their choice of voices for the characters. Delenn sounded great but Ivanova's voice was too high. I've never found a Korean release though...my friend is korean and told me that sci-fi is not very popular there but you never know...

Marc
            Marco

Comment

Don't buy the stuff off of Ebay, it's crap. I know from personal experience. I ordered soma Asian B5 DVDs on eBay and they were crap. The episode order on the disc was mixed up, chapters didn't start in the same place, weird little glitches would always pop-up in the picture, etc... . Luckily I was able to return it, then I bought the sets from Amazon and was very happy.
              http://card.mygamercard.net/Wicked%20Vorlon.jpg

Comment

If there offical Korean DVD's then there likely to be region 3 so unless your in south east Asia you might need a region free player.

When it comes to packaging I'v generally found that Asia DVD's are much better than what we get in the west as they need to provide more incentives to stop people buying bootlegs.
                Who are you?
                What do you want?
                What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

I've only bought these sorts of things for Anime that weren't out in the states yet. As everyone else has voiced, the quality of such leaves a lot to be desired. Just get the real b5 dvds
                  Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                  True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Amazon's price has gone up a bit, but $180.00 is still less than buying each set as it was released.

Regards,

Joe
                    Joseph DeMartino
                    Sigh Corps
                    Pat Tallman Division

Comment

And don't forget that with these bootlegs, when there are 4 episodes per disc, the last 5 minutes or so of the 4th episode are cut off, every time.

Geniuses they are not.
                      "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar
                        And don't forget that with these bootlegs, when there are 4 episodes per disc, the last 5 minutes or so of the 4th episode are cut off, every time.

Geniuses they are not.
                        Yeah. Apparently the bootlegs are being produced by people who washed out of the TNT Executive Training Program.

Regards,

Joe
                        Joseph DeMartino
                        Sigh Corps
                        Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Also, if you are willing to wait, deepdiscountdvd.com has good sales every few months. That's where I got the B5 movie collection, and Crusade.
                          http://card.mygamercard.net/Wicked%20Vorlon.jpg

Comment

to sound a note that will get me thumped but i lent my season 1 to a friend who managed to lose disc 2 on me. and as i was unable to find a good cheap replacement short of buying the set again i went to a lovely torrent site and downloaded first rate rips of the eps at only 350mb each they size up nicely with no degredation onto my nice big tv (love s-video outs on computers)

on the otherhand i did buy the she-ra dvds as the torrents for those sucked royal balls

Comment

<THUMP!>

Stealing is stealing, no matter why you did it. Why didn't you just make your friend buy you a new set?

And, this is exactly why I do not lend out my B5 sets to ANYONE, for any reason!

Comment

Working...
                              X