• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerning the British TV series adaptation, JMS said specifically-

...and a movie based on a British series for a major actor. (And
    no, it's not a British series that most genre people would know about,
    a la Blake's 7 or the like.)
    Please note that (at least the way I read it) his paranthetical does not state that it is a genre series, only that most genre people might not know about it.

Therefore, my guess is that it is a big screen adaptation of Heil Honey, I'm Home starring Mel Gibson as Hitler.
    Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Circular_Reason, I love the idea of a JMS remake of "Silent Running." I'm one of few people who actually liked that film, and fewer still who actually own it on DVD. Pity they likely wouldn't keep the music, though. Joan Baez does a beautiful job with the title song, and the scoring throughout by Peter Schickele (better known to most people as "PDQ Bach") is just stunning.

Comment

Sad but true ... the 'death' of Luey while trying to make repairs outside the ship was one of the first movie moments that brought tears to my eyes.
        The Optimist: The glass is half full
        The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
        The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

I know that he said British, so it likely renders this speculation bunk. There was a Canadian filmed series that I remember watching as a kid in the early seventies called "the Starlost" about a giant spaceship that had generations of people on it who had actually forgotten they were on a spaceship. I think it only lasted one year and there were some sequel made for TV movies made in the early 80's.

The creator of the series won a WGA award for writing on one of the episodes, although he did not like the turn that the series took and ultimately tried to disassociate himself from it. The creator/writer is.......tada.......Harlan Ellison.

There was also a bad guy in the show who had a recurring role showing up every few episodes to bedevil our protagonists and that actor was...........wait for it......Walter Koenig

I know it does not entirely fit the bill, but would'nt it be cool. I remember the show as somewhat cheezy special effects wise but hey it was the early 70's and the concept being very cool.

Comment

I used to watch that show when I was a kid. Even then I could tell the show was, well, not so great.
            Flying around the room under my own power.

Comment

The screenplay for the film I'm writing for Universal will be turned in
              mid-January. Akiva Goldsman is among the producers on this project, a
              big budget historical movie based on the life of King David.

It definately sounds like JMS is keeping busy.With all the movie projects going on .They all look like interesting and ones I will be keeping my eyes for more info on.
              Last edited by Satai Delenn; 12-14-2006, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbeth
                I know that he said British, so it likely renders this speculation bunk. There was a Canadian filmed series that I remember watching as a kid in the early seventies called "the Starlost" about a giant spaceship that had generations of people on it who had actually forgotten they were on a spaceship.
                Macbeth, besides the fact that it isn't British, JMS said it wasn't something that genre fans would know. "The Starlost" is something that most genre fans are familiar with, and especially B5 fans, given the Harlan Ellison connection.

And, Satai Delenn, the reference is to the biblical King David, if that helps.

Comment

And, Satai Delenn, the reference is to the biblical King David, if that helps

Thanks, I'm not much up on the bible either.After I posted the message I realised my own folly I can't recall a king so it must be the bible.DOH.

Comment

Originally posted by frulad
                    Steven Sommers is working on a theatrical revival of Flash Gordon and Robert Halmi Jr. is spearheading a four-hour tv miniseries version.

Battle Beyond the Planets is actually a sci-fi remake/ripoff of The Magnificent Seven which is, of course, a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. At what point does a remake collapse in on itself?
                    Kurosawa must be #1 in being plagiarized.

Last Man Standing is a gangster remake/ripoff of Fist Full of Dollars which is a western remake/ripoff of Yojimbo

Star Wars is a sci-fi remake/ripoff of Hidden Fortress

I also think its Forbidden Planet, but I wouldn't be surprised if its Dark Star
                    Last edited by NotKosh; 12-14-2006, 11:19 AM.
                    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotKosh
                      Kurosawa must be #1 in being plagiarized.

Last Man Standing is a gangster remake/ripoff of Fist Full of Dollars which is a western remake/ripoff of Yojimbo
                      Though some would argue that Yojimbo is an unacknowledged adaptation (or ripoff, if you will) of Dash Hammett's novel Red Harvest.
                      Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

The drama is more likely to be soap like Coronation Street than a Sci-Fi show. It may be better to guess the star and then what sort of tv show he/she would want to be in.

How about Brat Pitt as a vet in "All Creatures Great and Small"?

Andrew Swallow

p.s. if you look at the DVDs in the BBC America's shop there are lots of roles for women.
                        Andrew Swallow

Comment

Teletubbies ( vorlon version )

Comment

Originally posted by Circular Reason
                            Teletubbies ( vorlon version )
                            I thought they were already Vorlon ... I always found Kosh far more comprehensible than Dinky-Winky, Tipsy, La-la and Poo.

Or whatever their names are ...
                            The Optimist: The glass is half full
                            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by frulad
                              Battle Beyond the Stars is actually a sci-fi remake/ripoff of The Magnificent Seven which is, of course, a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. At what point does a remake collapse in on itself?
                              Not to mention Robert Vaugn was actually in the film, playing essentially the same character he played in The Magnificent Seven.
                              Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair
                                Sad but true ... the 'death' of Luey while trying to make repairs outside the ship was one of the first movie moments that brought tears to my eyes.
                                Nah. Louie (or was it Dewie?) who got run over and gasped his last little robot breath was sadder. I loved that movie as a kid. Of course, the forest ships live on in both version of Battlestar Galactica.
                                Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Working...
                                X