No announcement yet.

JMS' year-end round-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silent Running - wouldnt that be very apt , considering all the fuss about global warming at the moment.

Comment

I like how, with the 'based on a British series' thing he knocked out the Blake's 7 suggestion before it even came up. Guess he knows the fan community well enough that he knows exactly in what direction the rumour mill would start churning upon him mentioning 'British show'.

Comment

Hasn't a remake of the Prisoner been rumoured? I know jms loves the orginal.

Comment

Originally posted by ljg702
          Hasn't a remake of the Prisoner been rumoured? I know jms loves the orginal.
          Yes, but he specifically said that the series he had in mind was not one whose title would be instantly recognized - and he did so in a post aimed at rabid SF fans on both sides of the Atlantic. That eliminates shows like The Prisoner, Red Dwarf and Blake's 7 right off the bat. Since the "British TV show" is by definition something obscure, I don't think there's much point in speculating on it. Trying to figure out the major SF film remake is a bit like darts - it takes knowledge and skill. You can take a methodical approach to eliminating or including candidates. But trying to guess which of 1,000 British TV shows that nobody in America has ever heard of and few in the U.K. remember might be the basis for some star's vanity project - well now that is more like buying a lottery ticket. The odds against any particular guess being right are damned long and in the end "winning" is purely a matter of luck.

Regards,

Joe
          Joseph DeMartino
          Sigh Corps
          Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow
            You know...I diiiid hear a rumor awhile back that they were going to be remaking Logan's Run.
            I believe Bryan Singer is working on that.
            Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
              That eliminates shows like The Prisoner, Red Dwarf and Blake's 7 right off the bat.
              Much as I love JMS' writing, I just cannot conceive of him doing Red Dwarf.

The Optimist: The glass is half full
              The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
              The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Circular Reason
                Has anyone mentioned 'Flash Gordon' ? What about that classic ' Battle Beyond the Stars ', Or 70's UK childrens Sci-fi series 'The Tomorrow People '?
                Steven Sommers is working on a theatrical revival of Flash Gordon and Robert Halmi Jr. is spearheading a four-hour tv miniseries version.

Battle Beyond the Planets is actually a sci-fi remake/ripoff of The Magnificent Seven which is, of course, a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. At what point does a remake collapse in on itself?
                Last edited by frulad; 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM.
                Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

The Incredible Shrinking Man offers possibilities, though... and I'm sure I forgetting many other worthy candidates. Anyone care to help?
                  No but I will hinder.

Attack of the 50 foot Woman.
                  Now who is going to do the stunts this time?
                  Andrew Swallow

Comment

The dinosaurs of Jurassic Park ate a red head in 1993, they must be hungry again by now.
                    Star Wars is due a sequel.
                    There are some Jules Verne's stories last filmed in the 1960s.
                    Star Trek with a new Captain Kirk.
                    The Island of Dr Moreau (1977 and 1996).
                    Invasion of the Body Snatchers - this time wearing cloth hats.
                    Highlander IV.
                    The Handmaid's Tale by people who actually believe religions can kill.
                    Metropolis.
                    Blade Runner may dream about electric sheep.
                    Alien may also be hungry.
                    Who is writing Terminator 4?
                    Andrew Swallow

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
                      No but I will hinder.

Attack of the 50 foot Woman.
                      Now who is going to do the stunts this time?
                      I never saw the 1993 Darryl Hannah remake, but looked it up on IMDB to confirm that Pat Tallman had done Hannah's stunts. I had no idea it was directed by Christopher Guest. I may actually have to check this one out.

Regards,

Joe
                      Joseph DeMartino
                      Sigh Corps
                      Pat Tallman Division

Comment

I never saw the 1993 Darryl Hannah remake, but looked it up on IMDB to confirm that Pat Tallman had done Hannah's stunts. I had no idea it was directed by Christopher Guest. I may actually have to check this one out.

Rent it if you must but do not bother buying it.
                        Andrew Swallow

Comment

Too many possibilities. New Line has been trying to get a remake of Forbidden Planet off the ground for years. JMS is one of the very few writers I'd trust to tackle that project, so I'm assuming he hasn't been offered it.

Somebody somewhere wondered aloud about The Andromeda Strain, but both it and The Thing are being remade as 4-hour mini-series for The Sci Fi Channel, which makes a theatrical version of either damned unlikely. (Although not technically impossible.)

War of the Worlds was recently botched, so figure 10 to 20 years before anyone takes a stab at it.

The Day the Earth Stood Still? Wise's version is very good indeed, but a little hokey in places and it is not utterly inconceivable that a modern take on the material could work. JMS certainly has the experience in working with mythic and religious themes in SF drag, so he'd be a logical candidate.

Part of the problem is that, when all is said and done, there haven't been that many really good SF movies - movies that are just good movies and that transcend genre the way that The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance transcends the western, Twelve Angry Men transcends the ordinary courtroom drama or The French Connection transcends the standard cop movie. Planet of the Apes has recently been redone. 2001 (I'm convinced) never will be. Let's face it - most SF movies of the past 50 years have been pretty bad, and even the good ones have mostly been "good for an SF movie" - meaning we don't expect too much depth or real drama. (Compare the best of the straight Trek films, Khan and First Contact to "real" movies of their year. Probably the franchise film that works best is the comedy - The Voyage Home.)

The Incredible Shrinking Man offers possibilities, though... and I'm sure I forgetting many other worthy candidates. Anyone care to help?

Joe
                          I'd say the Forbidden Planet would actually be easier to achieve something with than The Day The Earth Stood Still, the latter's story was as you say idealy suited to its time plus Michael Rennie's performance would be hard to better. The Forbidden Planet on the other hand does offer alot of scope for updating without reworking the story beyond recognition..

Wasnt there some talk of Stephen Sommers remaking When Worlds Collide recently, perhaps they might be looking for some help with the script?
                          Who are you?
                          What do you want?
                          What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Since the "British TV show" is by definition something obscure, I don't think there's much point in speculating on it.
                            Joe
                            Oh joe, sometimes you're just no fun

How about:
                            Quatermass?
                            Space 1999?
                            The Tomorrow People?
                            Day Of The Triffids?

Comment

I think you're still guessing in the wrong direction ljg702. While some of those are fairly obscure, the people that would've heard about those would exactly be the "genre people" JMS said probably wouldn't.

As an aside, didn't the BBC already do a Quatermass remake last year or so?

Comment

DL's best guesses...

Movie: Forbidden Planet (does not really need to be remade, but at least he would do a proper job...)

TV: Doomwatch, The Prisoner, The Survivors, Sapphire and Steel, The Avengers, Star cops, Moonbase 3, Day of the Triffids, or Quatermass (I would love this last one, but it may be too soon after the creator recently passed away). Unlikely to be one of the Anderson ones (UFO, Space 1999), as Anderson or ITV hold the rights...

Shame it's not Blakes Seven really...
                                Last edited by Darth_librarian; 12-14-2006, 02:16 AM.
                                "Books and ideas are the most effective weapons against intolerance and ignorance."
                                -- Lyndon Baines Johnson, February 11, 1964

-- "Gun's don't kill people, rappers do" The GLC

Comment

Working...
                                X