No announcement yet.

Mongoose/JMS conflict update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its also a shame if it will affect B5 publishing in general. I've been charitable to Mongoose in all previous discussions on this, but they really shot their wad too early here, especially as JMS has decided to help them out. Bad move guys.

Let's hope they can pick up on his comments and up their creative game...

Oh, can anyone with super mod powers change the title of the thread to a 'whoops, spoke to soon ?'
    "Books and ideas are the most effective weapons against intolerance and ignorance."
    -- Lyndon Baines Johnson, February 11, 1964

-- "Gun's don't kill people, rappers do" The GLC

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
      Apparently, not so much. There goes the "he wouldn't say it so emphatically if it weren't true" theory. I suspect that Sprange posted his note after he had spoken to JMS but before he had actually submitted any of the manuscripts for his review - that he just assumed that JMS would approve what he was sending. That's the most charitable interpretation I can come up with given the contrast between the two messages.

Regards,

Joe
      I guess I can come up with a nicer interpretation. Instead of emphasizing the level of JMS's approval ("right down to every word, comma and technical detail."), just emphasize the word "approved". It seems that JMS did actually critique the books carefully (maybe not every comma, but a good portion of them), someone just assumed that JMS would actually approve them. Still quite an "oops" on someone's part though. I wonder if anyone at Mongoose will come out and admit that JMS did read the books and didn't like them, or if they'll just change the words to something like "Fully reviewed by JMS".

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_librarian
        Oh, can anyone with super mod powers change the title of the thread to a 'whoops, spoke to soon ?'
        I changed it, but not quite that drastically.

It's a pity. More than anything else, I like reading books. I was hoping it would be true.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Ah, that stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald
            Ah, that stinks.

Is anyone really surprised, though? Boy, I called that one.
            "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Aherm, I'd say that a lot of people called that one. Pretty much everyone except the chronic optimists in the fan community.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG
                Aherm, I'd say that a lot of people called that one. Pretty much everyone except the chronic optimists in the fan community.
                Without reference to any individuals on this board or elsewhere, just a passing observation about B5 fans generally: Isn't it odd that we have so many (or at least so many vocal) fans who are either exuberant optimists or doomsaying pessimists? And the really odd thing is that the optimists seem to put a great deal of faith in ideas floated by people other than JMS (Jerry Doyle, Claudia Christian, Sprange at Mongoose), while the pessimists seem specifically to be skeptical about anything the comes from JMS himself.

The contrast between the Mongoose thread and so many of the "I'll believe it when I see it" threads about TLT is really amazing. I'm not sure what significance any of this has, but it is striking.

Regards,

Joe
                Joseph DeMartino
                Sigh Corps
                Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG
                  Pretty much everyone except the chronic optimists in the fan community.
                  Present!

Jon
                  Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                  True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
                    The contrast between the Mongoose thread and so many of the "I'll believe it when I see it" threads about TLT is really amazing. I'm not sure what significance any of this has, but it is striking.
                    I might be termed an eternal optimist in that I often hope things to be true. But to ever concieve of taking somebody's word over JMS's? Not unless they've got more than JMS's 15 years of history of being straight with the fans, I won't! Especially if they've already had a history or questionable statements like the three you mentioned.

Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I'd say I'm optimistic tempered with realism. Expect the best -- prepare for the worst. Forgive, but don't forget. Give people a second chance, but remember that they are responsible for their own past actions. JMS's track record counts hugely, Mr. Sprange's not so much.
                      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste
                        JMS's track record counts hugely, Mr. Sprange's not so much.
                        I disagree ... Mr Sprange's track record counts just as much. Just not in the way he would like it to.
                        The Optimist: The glass is half full
                        The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                        The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair
                          I disagree ... Mr Sprange's track record counts just as much. Just not in the way he would like it to.
                          I sit corrected. You are absolutely right!
                          "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Without reference to any individuals on this board or elsewhere, just a passing observation about B5 fans generally: Isn't it odd that we have so many (or at least so many vocal) fans who are either exuberant optimists or doomsaying pessimists? And the really odd thing is that the optimists seem to put a great deal of faith in ideas floated by people other than JMS (Jerry Doyle, Claudia Christian, Sprange at Mongoose), while the pessimists seem specifically to be skeptical about anything the comes from JMS himself.

And that would be me in both the optimist or doomsaying pessimists line .I am highly skeptical about everything .The news could have come from somebody above JMS's head for instance, I still would be skeptical .If anybody on this board meet me in person,you would find that there is no difference between the me on the net and the me in RL.

Comment

Originally posted by Satai Delenn
                              If anybody on this board meet me in person,you would find that there is no difference between the me on the net and the me in RL.
                              I'll bet you're better punctuated in real life. Just a hunch.

Joe
                              Joseph DeMartino
                              Sigh Corps
                              Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Working...
                              X