No announcement yet.

Mongoose/JMS conflict update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was my thinking. If he truly convinced JMS to do this, and JMS feels comfortable in dealing with them now, I think it's reasonable enough to trust JMS's judgement on the deal, and maybe give these things a shot. Of course, I am, like everybody else, waiting for the newsgroup to unclog itself, so we can hear from the man himself if this is actually the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
      we're not the ones who were misrepresented.

Jan
      We are, however, the ones who were lied TO.
      "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar
        And what damage did that do? He got caught in a clumsy attempt to 'spin' things to look favorable for his product, that's all.

Whether you buy them or not is up to you but I'm not likely to pass up any part of the canon *if it is* canon. That'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally Posted by OmahaStar

OMAHA WHat did he lie about or misrepresent ?As I have never really followed any of Sprague's posts.
          Last edited by Satai Delenn; 12-07-2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

It springs from a podcast that he did, Satai Delenn. When asked if the novels were going to be done from outlines by JMS, he said that they were. When JMS said that he'd never provided any outlines, Matthew said that he meant that they'd be working from the unproduced scripts and posts that JMS had made online. JMS forbade him to do so. Matthew also intimated that JMS had involvement in the novels and JMS denied that.

I didn't publicize it at the time but Matthew and I exchanged quite a number of emails at the time of the upset over the podcast. My conclusion was that he means well but that he probably was engaging in some spin in the podcast. Even so, one could allow a certain amount of leeway on the 'involvement' question which Matthew claimed he thought was about the entire B5 line that Mongoose does. Anyway, he was willing to answer any question I had and clarify anything I asked. I came away with a generally positive impression of him with the caveat that he is an executive of a company which has a hefty stake in Babylon 5 and naturally wants to show a good face to the fans about his products.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Yeah, the podcast was probably the clearest example of him misrepresenting the exact nature of JMS's involvement with their novels. He was asked if they were working from outlines, which I suppose one could say is maybe a little ambigous, except that the interviewers very clearly asked the question within the context of the trilogy outlines that JMS wrote. Also, he stated when asked about JMS's involvement in general that because JMS is a busy man, his involvement was getting less and less, where in fact his involvement had gone from "ok, I'll listen to your offer" to "I've heard the offer, and I decline", from what I understand.

If you want the exact details, you can find the podcast interview with Sprange here, and the public discussion between Sprange and JMS on the newsgroup here.

There was also the bit earlier where Sprange on the Mongoose forum said the novels would be fully canon, which when put to JMS on the newsgroup he denied, and said it was at best licenced fan fiction. Later Sprange stated that the WB licensing department had given him permission to use the word "canon", but that they came back from that later because the word had certain legal implications they wanted to avoid, IIRC.

Comment

One of the points that JMS made was that *nothing* had recently been submitted to WB for approval. Matthew went so far as to send me a screenshot of some items that they had sent electronically. No, they didn't have anything to do with the proposed novels but I was told that there needed to be about a six-week lead for sending that in.

That doesn't prove that JMS was wrong or overreacting but I'm putting it out there for the sake of accuracy. I'm hoping that it's true that JMS will be vetting all of the books...though I'm not sure when he'll be able to with all that's going on with movies and the Lost Tales lately.

Jan

Comment

Thanks everybody after reading what happened I don't think Sprague owes us an apology about anything .It sounds like to me,that there may have been some kind of miscommunication either between JMS,WB and Mongoose.I still think in the end it is something they need to work for themselves behind closed doors.And perhaps now maybe they have.Still want to know JMS's take on this .

Comment

Here's hoping that this is true because I'd love to see a resurgence of B5 material.

Comment

I truly hope that Mongoose will get some outlines from JMS in the spirit of cooperation, but I seriously doubt that they'll have writers in the caliber on Keyes, Cavelos and David. That worries me.

Constantem Decorat Honor

Comment

It seems the newsgroup is more or less alive again, by the looks of it. Has anyone send something about this topic already?

Comment

I'm intrigued by the idea of "Valen's Denn'Bok" and the Encyclopaedias. The novels sound interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabaz
                            It seems the newsgroup is more or less alive again, by the looks of it. Has anyone send something about this topic already?
                            A post has appeared by Joe DeMartino asking about it. Let's hope JMS sees it and has time to answer.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                              A post has appeared by Joe DeMartino asking about it. Let's hope JMS sees it and has time to answer.

Jan
                              And a very carefully worded post, I might add. Now we'll just have to wait and see if he's able or inclined to respond.

Regards,

Joe
                              Joseph DeMartino
                              Sigh Corps
                              Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
                                And a very carefully worded post, I might add.
                                I noticed. I was a little surprised that you didn't include the part about:
                                However, I can now reveal that we have been engaged in talks with Mr Straczynski, and the entire range will now be approved by him รป right down to every word, comma and technical detail.
                                At any rate, I was glad you posted. I didn't want to take the chance of setting him off a third time. Call me a chicken.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X