New Minbari Ambassador...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dipper
    ...Vir became Emperor way before B5 became obsolete.
    Vir became Emperor about two to three years before B5 was blown up. I wouldn't call that "way before".
    Last edited by vacantlook; 11-28-2006, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Where do you get that figure from ? Vir became the Emperor around the time when David was kidnapped, and at that time he was in his early teens 12-13, and when B5 blew up, he was in his twenties.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I read the Centauri trilogy.

-Dip

Comment

Originally posted by Dipper
        Where do you get that figure from ? Vir became the Emperor around the time when David was kidnapped, and at that time he was in his early teens 12-13, and when B5 blew up, he was in his twenties.
        All of the dates in the Centauri trilogy are off by about a year, IIRC, apparently the result of Peter David's being given a timeline with a typo in it. Then there's the business of Minbari years vs. Earth years. But David Sheridan was around 16 Earth years old when the Urn opened, he got his Keeper and everybody ended up on Centauri Prime for the events we glimpse in "War Without End" and In the Beginning. He was born late in 2262 and Londo dies sometime in 2278. Babylon 5 was destroyed in 2281, 20 years after Sheridan's death on Z'ha'dum.

These dates are established in dialogue and by on-screen titles in the episode and the movies, quite independent of David Sheridan's age. (In "WWE" Londo tells Sheridan it has been 17 years since the Shadows were defeated, which we know happened in 2261, and an on-screen graphic in ItB gives the year of the framing story as 2278. In "Midnight on the Firing Line", set in January 2258, Londo tells Sinclair that he and G'Kar will strangle each other to death "twenty years from now." Finally, Lorien tells Sheridan and Delenn that barring illness or injury Sheridan will live 20 years, no more. Sheridan was brought back to life in January 2261, so we know he dies in 2281. (This is also verfied by the last volume of the Psi Corps trilogy.)

That means the station was destroyed a mere 3 years after Vir became emperor. And since the station would have been effectively obsolete for several years before anyone actually got around to destroying it (trust me, I work for the government and I know what the speed of bureaucracy is), it would be truer to say, "B5 became obsolete before Vir became emperor" (even if not "way before") than the reverse.

Regards,

Joe
        Last edited by Joseph DeMartino; 11-29-2006, 02:42 AM.
        Joseph DeMartino
        Sigh Corps
        Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Working...
        X