Mass Effect = Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briosafreak
    I wasn't talking about individual events, taken out of context, but the way the story is presented, the entirety follows a B5 scheme, it's the process, not the parts. It's not that relevant for me, since I'm not following the game nor I intend to, but it raises questions on how hard is to produce some creative writing for the gaming industry these days. I mean is this the end of history on sci-fi gaming?

In the end at least they had good taste in picking their references, another Star Wars game, or even one inspired by SW and I would throw up
    Agree that deconstruction is "fun and profitable" and I am even willing to concede that B5 is one of the informing sources that the game draws on, but given JMS's insistance that he is retelling an age-old story (which story even informed his choice of name-metaphors for the whole series of TV shows that hecreated) I would argue that there is nothing here to alarm fans.

There are only so many basic stories that can be told. What distinguishes them is the details and the style, not the story per se.
    I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Briosafreak
      I wasn't talking about individual events, taken out of context, but the way the story is presented, the entirety follows a B5 scheme, it's the process, not the parts. It's not that relevant for me, since I'm not following the game nor I intend to, but it raises questions on how hard is to produce some creative writing for the gaming industry these days. I mean is this the end of history on sci-fi gaming?

In the end at least they had good taste in picking their references, another Star Wars game, or even one inspired by SW and I would throw up
      And yet these are actually the same people that were lauded by critics for finally giving a fresh spin to Star Wars again in their "Knights of the Old Republic" game, after a long range of fairly straight forward SW tie-in games being published in years prior to its release.

Bioware are good people, with regards to both doing good with interactive fiction, and trying neat stuff with the WRPG/CRPG genre. Plagiarism is a fairly big charge to make towards any artist, and I honestly don't see anything justifying it in the page that was linked.
      Last edited by Shabaz; 11-10-2006, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I would argue that there is nothing here to alarm fans.
        On that we agree

by critics for finally giving a fresh spin
        A fresh spin alright, episode1 style
        Fallout 3: A Post Nuclear Blog

Comment

Working...
        X