New B5 Or What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New B5 Or What?

I know it has been said JMS doesn't hang out here, better to try to get his attention on Twitter, which moves too fast for me.

Anyway, if there is anyone who tells JMS about things posted here, these am my thots about the B5 reboot.

I'm okay with it, but I've seen a list of things someone else would rather see JMS do. Here's mine.

1) Firefly Reboot. The Serenity movie cut out Mal's fake southern accent and the cowboy act, to my great pleasure. JMS would reboot Firefly with a younger cast running Serenity and Mal and Co. in a secret hidey hole the ship is welcome to visit. JMS would kick ass with Firefly.

2) Stargate: Universe. Reboot, new cast, same mission. This time The Destiny and whomever is the human genius on board finish the job of finding out if somebody created the universe, or just created a message embedded in space/time for anyone smart enough to notice and/or decode.

3) Star Trek: Deep Space Andromeda. IRONY ALERT.

A show using Starfleet's first stable wormhole, or Borg transwarp hub tech. The Andromeda Galaxy. A fan film series went there, and, eventually, a Bajoran Starfleet officer discovered that the gods the aliens (who defeated the aliens who tried to take Kirk, et al, to Andromeda) there believe in have, ahem, Half-Prophet Benjamin Sisko as their spokesbeing.

JMS could kick many asses doing Star Trek:Yet Another Generation right. IRONY ALERT.

4). Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy and 5 book sequel Paladin's Legacy. Swords and sorcery fantasy has usually been done badly on TV, but JMS could make Paksenarrion the first really good American TV fantasy show since American Gods and, we, hope, Neil Gaiman's soon to be Sandman series I'm SQUEEEEEing for to see.

That's not all, but I don't want anyone falling asleep...

Last edited by Thornton Kimes; 10-06-2021, 02:35 PM.

Hi, Thornton,

As far as I know, nobody tells JMS about anything that is posted here, no. And, while I've got a little list of my own of things I'd love to see him write, we have to remember that he pretty much has to write what people ask him to do and can make a deal for (like B5 and a few others) or he writes spec (speculative) scripts hoping that his agent can sell them. I think I posted on another thread that my notes show *24* scripts, both features and pilots, that are all sitting on shelves someplace. I'm not sure if this will break your heart or not but at one point he was commissioned to write a Red Mars pilot and that didn't happen when the network it was on went away. I managed to get a copy (no, I'm afraid I don't/can't share) and it was excellent - very true to the source material.

In this case, the nice thing is that if the pilot gets a green light, JMS will have control, something that seldom happens with feature films. A couple of versions of his World War Z script used to be floating around online and they were SO much better than what the movie ended up being! And again, true to the source material.

Maybe if the new B5 is a smash hit, he'll finally have the clout through Studio JMS to do as he pleases. Guess we'll find out in time.

Welcome aboard!
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Thornton Kimes View Post

2) Stargate: Universe. Reboot, new cast, same mission. This time The Destiny and whomever is the human genius on board finish the job of finding out if somebody created the universe, or just created a message embedded in space/time for anyone smart enough to notice and/or decode.
      Bit off topic, but SGU was definitely cut short way too soon. It had massive promise and had only just started to reveal a very promising arc at the end before it was cancelled. Good example of the fans actively killing a show because it didn't ape what came before. Okay, it was a bit blatant in its embrace of BSG style 'grim / dark', but it would have become its own thing over time I reckon.

Whilst Atlantis was fun, it always resolved every 'crisis' in the last 5 minutes of the episode, you can actually time it on the dime, the 'resolution' always lands on almost the same time index. This got very dull.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post

Bit off topic, but SGU was definitely cut short way too soon. It had massive promise and had only just started to reveal a very promising arc at the end before it was cancelled. Good example of the fans actively killing a show because it didn't ape what came before. Okay, it was a bit blatant in its embrace of BSG style 'grim / dark', but it would have become its own thing over time I reckon.
        Possibly not too off topic... (leaving controversy or fan-reaction off the table..)
        A) Established Series coming to an end after a multi-year run and a New Series starting in the same... Universe.
        B) Expectations for the New Series to follow closely in the footsteps of the Established Series.
        C) New Series taking things in New Directions, so viewers would have to adjust to new environments and storylines.
        D) Kind of a clean break as the New Series would have a New Cast, although there might be a cameo or two.
        E) New Series went-before-it's-time.
        F) Established Series had a fixed Base of Operations, while the New Series would be set on a... Ship.

Doesn't this sound a little familiar?

minor edit
        ....someone (not a B5 fan) reading over my shoulder just said "DS9 -> Voyager?"
        Last edited by LateArrival; 10-07-2021, 06:05 PM.
        "This is not a clear and present danger? I must read the rule book again."

Comment

Originally posted by LateArrival View Post

Possibly not too off topic... (leaving controversy or fan-reaction off the table..)
          A) Established Series coming to an end after a multi-year run and a New Series starting in the same... Universe.
          B) Expectations for the New Series to follow closely in the footsteps of the Established Series.
          C) New Series taking things in New Directions, so viewers would have to adjust to new environments and storylines.
          D) Kind of a clean break as the New Series would have a New Cast, although there might be a cameo or two.
          E) New Series went-before-it's-time.
          F) Established Series had a fixed Base of Operations, while the New Series would be set on a... Ship.

Doesn't this sound a little familiar?

minor edit
          ....someone (not a B5 fan) reading over my shoulder just said "DS9 -> Voyager?"
          Are we talking Crusade? I must admit I have never liked it and felt it was very weak regardless of where you stand on all the network shenanigans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post

Are we talking Crusade? I must admit I have never liked it and felt it was very weak regardless of where you stand on all the network shenanigans.
            Yup, definitely Crusade. Although comparing Voyager to Destiny did have me scratching my head. With a new B5 series on the horizon, there must have been lessons learned from Crusade that would help to strengthen the chances of a B5 reboot. Am finally getting around to reading the Crusade BTS book and it is an eye opener.
            Last edited by LateArrival; 10-08-2021, 12:40 PM.
            "This is not a clear and present danger? I must read the rule book again."

Comment

Originally posted by LateArrival View Post

Yup, definitely Crusade. Although comparing Voyager to Destiny did have me scratching my head. With a new B5 series on the horizon, there must have been lessons learned from Crusade that would help to strengthen the chances of a B5 reboot. Am finally getting around to reading the Crusade BTS book and it is an eye opener.
              I am genuinely intrigued to see what a JMS show looks like now. I think Sense8 gave us a small taste, but I can't help feel it was more Lana's baby than JMS as it went on. Whilst no one will ever admit it, I can't help but think the character arcs might have been more interesting if JMS had kept heavy involvement in the show throughout. I still get the impression he stepped away for various reasons, if only to let Lana fully explore what she wanted to.

I still wonder if the magic can be repeated, but I'm happy to find out.
              Last edited by Ubik; 10-08-2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X