Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Memory Still Bright: Mira Furlan

From JMS:

It is a night of great sadness, for our friend and comrade has gone down the road where we cannot reach her. But as with all things, we will catch up with her in time, and I believe she will have many stories to tell us, and many new roles to share with the universe.

In Memoriam: Mira Furlan

When Mira Furlan came to audition for Babylon 5, her home country of Yugoslavia was in turmoil and shattering into two separate countries. During our first meeting, we spoke about her work and her life, and I learned that she had been part of a touring theater group that continued to cross borders of the disintegrating country despite receiving death threats from both sides in the civil war.

I expressed my admiration for her courage, but she shrugged and waved it off. “What’s the worst that could have happened? Yes, they could have killed me. So what? Art should have no borders.”

Very few people knew that side of Mira: the fiery, fearless side that fought ceaselessly for her art. She brought all of those traits to Delenn, and in turn I tried to write speeches for her that would allow her to comment on what was happening to her homeland without calling it out by name. I guess I must have done it correctly because one day during the Minbari Civil War arc, she appeared in my office door, a cup of tea in one hand, in full makeup but wearing a pull-over robe from wardrobe, and said, “So, how long did you live in Yugoslavia?”

Her husband, Goran, has always been the rock of her life. He was and is a gentleman, quick to laughter, an accomplished director and as much an artist as Mira, which made them the ideal couple. I’ve rarely seen two people so utterly meant for each other.

I remember the first time Mira appeared at a convention with me and some of the other cast. She didn’t quite understand what it was all about, but gamely did her part. When the audience question period came along, a fan held up his hand and said to Mira, whose Yugoslavian accent was much stronger in the beginning than it became with time, “Say ‘moose and squirrel.’”
    She had no idea what this meant, but she said “Moose and Squirrel” and the room erupted in one of the longest sustained laughs I’ve ever seen at a convention. We explained it later, but really, all that mattered to her was that the audience had been happy.

We’ve known for some time now that Mira’s health was failing…I’m not sure that this is the right time or place to discuss the sheer randomness of what happened…and have all been dreading this day. We kept hoping that she would improve. In a group email sent to the cast a while back, I heard that she might be improving.

Then came the call from Peter Jurasik. “I wanted you to know that Goran’s bringing Mira home,” he said.

“Do you mean, he’s bringing her home as in she’s better now, or is he bringing her home as in he’s bringing her home?”

“He’s bringing her home, Joe,” Peter said, and I could hear the catch in his voice as he said it.

And as a family, we held our counsel, and began the long wait, which has now ended.

Mira was a good and kind woman, a stunningly talented performer, and a friend to everyone in the cast and crew of Babylon 5, and we are all devastated by the news. The cast members with whom she was especially close since the show’s end will need room to process this moment, so please be gentle if they are unresponsive for a time. We have been down this road too often, and it only gets harder.

If you are a fan of Mira’s work, fire up those special moments when she shook the heavens, and relive the art she brought to her work. For any actor, that is the best tribute possible: for the work to endure. As much as this is a time to grieve, it is also a time to celebrate her life and her courage.

All of our thoughts tonight will be on the memories she left behind, the dazzling light of her performances, the breadth of her talent, and the heart and love she shared with Goran, and with all of you.

Joe Straczynski
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

The curse of Babylon 5 continues.. we've lost so many of them way before their time. Now the curse has taken Mira from us.

https://twitter.com/FurlanMira/statu...21126496894976

"Goodnight my love, the brightest star in my sky"

Last edited by Blake00; 01-22-2021, 01:47 AM.
    Blake's Sanctum:
    - Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
    - Game Shrines: Age of Wonders,Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
    - Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
    - Emulation

Comment

I am physically ill from this news and can't sleep.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I heard this morning. Very saddened by this, and she was really still quite young. Of all the B5 cast, Mira was the one I would have been genuinely interested to meet and chat with. I did shed a few tears this morning. God knows I'm a bit of an emotional wreck this year anyway... as if the world hasn't been weird enough!

RIP Mira, your work will be remembered for generations to come.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

An article from BBC with possible additional details.
          https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55763658
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

So many beautiful People from the B5 cast we did lost pre-time.
            And now: Delenn (Mira Furlan)
            No words.

--
            Lorien: "This journey is ended. Another begins. Time to rest now."
            [Sleeping in Light]

Comment

This cant be happening. I just woke up to a text from a friend telling me the news. I have also just watched Lost for the first time, and loved her in that......im so gutted im taking a sick day from work. My heart is broken
              *Den-Sha*

Comment

....😢💔....

Comment

Pat Tallman's having a group meditation in honor of Mira:
                  Patricia Tallman
                  ·
                  Dears,

I'm creating a webinar for a meditation for Mira, tomorrow Monday Jan 25th at 11am PST.

Because of security we do have to have registration on which means you should click on the link and put in your email, then you'll get a password.
                  Sorry for the extra step.

I'm kinda making shit up as I go along and I'm sure I'm making mistakes. Bear with me.

You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
                  When: Jan 25, 2021 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
                  Topic: Meditation for Mira
                  Register in advance for this webinar:
                  us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jxB0O0XLSH2xzv4D8Wp7Ig
                  After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
                  You can invite friends who'd like to join in. The webinar has a 500 person capacity which should be plenty,

I'm doing a simple guided meditation with the focus on Mira, sending her love and peace on her next stage of adventure.
                  I expect it to be 30-45 minutes.

I can't think of anything else right now...if I'm forgetting something, let me know.

Be WELL
                  xoxox
                  P

Comment

So I haven't really felt like saying much these passed few days. I've mostly been scanning through the tributes on YouTube. "Mr. SciFi" Marc Zicree reposted this last night and I thought I would share because while most of us have heard Mira sing I don't know how many of us have seen her perform a song. At least I hadn't seen her perform a song like this until last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D299Fh5VKog

I believe this second link is the original clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVbAo-lcZOA

I know many have probably already seen this, but it was a first for me. I would sure love to know what year this was. Please speak up if you know.

Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      An article from BBC with possible additional details.
                      https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55763658
                      Thanks for the link Jan. Her autobiography would have been a must read. To bad she probably not managed to finish it.

Like so many other have said. This is devastating news. Mira was indeed a bright candle in the world.

Comment

The inimitable John Hudgens has posted a memorial video for Mira Furlan.

Originally posted by John Hudgens
                        This wasn’t supposed to be made for years, if not decades.
                        Mira Furlan was not just a TV star to me - she was my friend. We’d always meet up for dinner or lunch when I was in LA, or if we appeared at a convention together - we even acted onstage together once. She’d joked with me about what kind of memorial I’d eventually do for her, and I always deflected, assuming that day was a long way off, if ever.
                        And so here we are today. My friend is gone. Within hours of the news, I was already getting messages asking, demanding I do another. It hurt too much - I wasn’t going to do it.
                        And then…. a random track played on my iPod’s soundtrack shuffle, and I started seeing connections, using that track. And then spent almost the entire weekend at my edit system.
                        We loved you, Mira. Your laugh, that smile that could light up a city - I’ll always miss you.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQ-...N9UDsPXIZz8NmM

Comment

Oh my god! I've read this sad news today because my favorite Scifi sites doesnt wrote about it. I cant believe that. And yes, I'm sure there is a Curse of Babylon 5. And I really really hope that B5 will never ever "presequelrebooted". This show is good as it is. Forever. In loving memories to Mira Furlan and her epic role Delenn.

Comment

Cannot think of anything to say, just feelings and memories.
                            "This is not a clear and present danger? I must read the rule book again."

Comment

Folks, I'm putting on my Admin hat for a moment but I'm asking this as a favor.

I noticed that at Pat Tallmans meditation for Mira the other day that one of the rules for discussion was no mention of curses. I was *horrified* that the talk of a 'Babylon 5 Curse' had apparently been mentioned, often enough that it needed to be a rule. I can't imagine how hurtful it must be for the cast and crew being exposed to such talk. Even as unlikely as it is that they'd believe in such a thing as curses, can you imagine being confronted with people actively saying that they've been cursed??

So please, can all of us please agree that we'll no longer talk about curses when it comes to the B5 family? Things happen and that's sad. But please keep in mind what Marcus said:

You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
                              Thanks,
                              Jan

Comment

Working...
                              X