Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeD80
    replied
    Looks like episode times for Babylon Squared and Hour of the Wolf are correct on HBO Max; episodes still short on itunes.

Episode order is airdate on itunes, kind of random on HBO max (episodes re-arranged in season 1, only production order in season 2 which flips Divided Loyalties and Long Twilight creating a small continuity error with Delenn, back to airdate order for 3 - 5).

On color correction - looks better on HBO Max, but still noticeably different when it switches to comp shots. Although most of the live action looks better on HBO/itunes than my Vudu episodes, and the Vudu episodes skip more frames, the Vudu episode colors don't flip between shots like that and it seems more blended. For example, it changes when Marcus is about to use his pike or when Elric plays his hologram of Vir.

The colors do look quite vibrant and I imagine some of it was intended by John Flinn at the time (green tint for green sector, blue tint for blue sector) but some of it cannot be right - the most noticeable one I saw a big color issue was There All the Honor Lies where near the end Delenn and Lennier are completely purple; 99% sure that was not the intended color.

Overall I like the look of the CGI and the 5.1 sound is quite good through my speakers.

I had started a rewatch after reading Joe's autobiography; this release was good timing. Hopefully it stays around and doesn't disappear from streaming again.

[oops still used to saying itunes - apple TV]
    [additional note there: I bought season 1 in 2013. It was full screen at the time, season 1 only - they auto replaced all the episodes with the new full-screen versions in my account. Babylon Squared now only 41 minutes]
    Last edited by JoeD80; 03-02-2021, 10:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    So being a popsicle for the last two weeks might be making Looney a little more Looney than usual.
    "I do not think that is possible."

Reports are getting screwy. Some say eps are fixed, others say not. Some sound issues on some eps, mislabeling of eps.

Whoever the 'project manager' for this 'labor of love' was, really kinda should probably be fired.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    I just saw a report that said the opening scene of 'Grey 17 is missing'...is missing. Can't make that up!
    Why can't you?! Last time I checked you had creativity. Did something happen?! Did someone steal your creativity?

So being a popsicle for the last two weeks might be making Looney a little more Looney than usual.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I just saw a report that said the opening scene of 'Grey 17 is missing'...is missing. Can't make that up!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Thanks for the update, GS4291!!

Leave a comment:

• gs4291
    replied
    Breaking News! The scenes missing from Babylon Squared and The Hour of the Wolf have now been restored on HBO Max, and there are reports of them being restored on some Roku Apple TV apps as well. With luck this means the corrections will eventually be updated on all platforms.

If anyone has had successful correspondence with WB/HBO over these issues, I'd encourage you to direct them to the site http://b5remasterissues.wordpress.com as there are a small number of more cosmetic issues, some of which can hopefully be fixed as well.

Leave a comment:

• gs4291
    replied
    Originally posted by AstroBoy View Post
    Has anyone seen any other problems with the HBO Max version aside from the missing scenes in Babylon Squared?
    I’m trying to collate all the reported issues at http://b5remasterissues.wordpress.com. Submissions are very welcome, and please share the link anywhere else you think there’s an interest.

Thanks for reposting those HBO Max contact details Jan - I’m trying to collate those as well so will update the site.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Has anyone seen any other problems with the HBO Max version aside from the missing scenes in Babylon Squared?
    I hear that "Hour of the Wolf' is missing the teaser.

Here's info on contacting HBO Max that somebody posted to the Zocalo Today FB page:
    Okay Here's the email Address To contact HBO Max And tell him about the issue with Babylon 5 Click on this link
    https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs
    Then At the very bottom Click on contact Then on the drop-down menu Select HBO Max Under issues Then scroll down to the bottom of that page And click on the email Button I would have posted just an email address But they don't show you what the email address is

Leave a comment:

• AstroBoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LateArrival
    replied
    Originally posted by sense8ional View Post

It's the same remaster, but those earlier releases (iTunes, etc.) were in SD resolution, while HBO Max is HD. But it's possible even the earlier releases have been updated to HD now (in fact, I think so).

Yes, looks like the previous Nov 2020 4:3 SD and the new Jan 2021 HD versions are now both available on Amazon Prime Video semi-simultaneously, but may need to click on More Purchase Options to cycle between them. Pricing looks to be $29.99/season for HD and $29.99/season for SD, while Per Episode it is $2.99/each for HD and $1.99/each for SD. The 1993 SD version of The Gathering is still available for both versions as a Season One Bonus Video which seems to need to be purchased independently ($0.00) under Season One. The remaining six TV Movies are still available in SD for $1.99/each plus the separate HD version of TLT is still there for $22.99. Does not appear to be a steaming version of the 1998's The Gathering (?yet?). When the Jan 2021 B5 episodes are started/paused, a little "HD" now appears in the lower left corner of the screen.

Leave a comment:

• sense8ional
    replied
    Originally posted by LateArrival View Post
    Been seeing word this week about the new-and-improved 4:3 version of B5 appearing on HBO Max, with side mentions to Itunes and Amazon. Read previously on this site that the 4:3s appeared on Itunes and Amazon last November. Is this week's HBO Max release the same as what began appearing in November, or is it a special upgraded version? Noticed the streaming change from 16:9 to 4:3 last month, but one recent article implied that the online version of The Gathering was now the 1998 Special Edition. On checking today, looks to still be 1993 as it has Stewart Copeland's musical score.
    It's the same remaster, but those earlier releases (iTunes, etc.) were in SD resolution, while HBO Max is HD. But it's possible even the earlier releases have been updated to HD now (in fact, I think so).

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    This is all superb news for the show and the fandom in general. I've seen a lot of very positive reactions on Reddit, etc. Yet to see the restored 4:3 versions. I'll likely wait for a sale on Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• LateArrival
    replied
    Been seeing word this week about the new-and-improved 4:3 version of B5 appearing on HBO Max, with side mentions to Itunes and Amazon. Read previously on this site that the 4:3s appeared on Itunes and Amazon last November. Is this week's HBO Max release the same as what began appearing in November, or is it a special upgraded version? Noticed the streaming change from 16:9 to 4:3 last month, but one recent article implied that the online version of The Gathering was now the 1998 Special Edition. On checking today, looks to still be 1993 as it has Stewart Copeland's musical score.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    What's JMS' stake in the TV arena, can they do a new series without him? I doubt that we as a fan base would accept him being shut out from his creation were a reboot or continuation be produced.
    In theory - maybe. We do know that JMS has to have some involvement in any new B5 projects but it's unlikely he could demand creative control. Could it help the possibility of JMS being able to get financing for a feature? Again, maybe, but probably not terribly likely. Could it lead to something new on TV? I think it would have to be one *huge* take-off for that to happen.

So I think the thing to do is be glad that it's available for potential new fans to find, just as we were when it was included in Amazon Prime here in the US.

Leave a comment:

• sense8ional
    replied
    It just so happens that in 2013, or 6 years before the release of the show to iTunes at the end of last year, that they said they were actively looking into it. I don't think they were kidding.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/sc...mmer-hope.html

Babylon 5 is an extraordinarily important franchise to all of Warner Brothers. So much so that it is of course very much on the minds at everybody at Warner home video, and bringing Babylon 5 to a next generation shall we say, is very much on the minds of everyone involved. The fact that the show was post produced on video tape and FX were done on video tape makes bringing another iteration a very expensive proposition. But it is being discussed in the highest of quarters.

There might be hope, but there is nothing to report that’s a fact. Let’s just say that the powers that be are very smart and they know the fan desire is out there.
    I also don't think it's likely the show is going to take off in such an explosive way that you have to "worry" about a continuation/reboot..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X