Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternative viewing order for Season One

Hi all

This is a little project I've been playing with on & off for a while and I'm finally happy with the result:
    "Sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective"
    -An alternative viewing order for Season One-
    b5season1order.wordpress.com

Hopefully it speaks for itself but the idea was to try and correct for some small continuity 'wrinkles' in the broadcast order of Season One - by starting from a blank page and seeing if a more 'optimal' episode order could be worked out, based on the references and relations between each episode...

The answer is... almost... maybe... I'll leave you to read it if you're interested - either way it's lead me to notice some of the smaller details in Season One and how the other seasons are structured. It gets quite deep into the nerdery weeds so may not be for everyone, but if you find it interesting feel free to share.

Thanks - and happy viewing

Ooooo I love it when people do these. I will have to come back and look more in depth when I have time. 👍
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Hi, GS, thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely take a look even though I'm one of those admitedly lazy folks who doesn't worry about changing the order when I'm watching. But I'm interested in your thinking. Welcome aboard!

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Okay so I've read through it all now. IF you were trying to break my brain then give yourself a pat on the back because you have succeeded. 🤕

🤣

I wish my brain was currently working so I could discuss more, but it is not. I will give this watch order a try though because I am intrigued by it and I've watched it just about every other way.

Kuddos to you for working it all out. But if I find one flaw..... 😆😂🤣😆

Comment

yes looney becuase as we all know, your brain was functioning in perfect synchronicity before this instant.
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            Okay so I've read through it all now. IF you were trying to break my brain then give yourself a pat on the back because you have succeeded. 🤕

🤣
            Mission accomplished 😀

Originally posted by Looney
            I will give this watch order a try though because I am intrigued by it and I've watched it just about every other way.

Kuddos to you for working it all out. But if I find one flaw..... 😆😂🤣😆
            I await your judgement 😰 😀

But do let me know what you make of it - after watching everything in every order imaginable it's hard for me to clearly tell how my ordering works, so I'd be interested to hear from a fresh set of eyes.

Thanks for checking it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              I'm one of those admitedly lazy folks who doesn't worry about changing the order when I'm watching.
              Same here.

Comment

Well I have started it. 4 episodes in I have to admit you're REALLY drawn into the "Earth First" saga with this watch order. I am actually only half-way through WAR PRAYER, so I might be back later tonight if I get it done.

Comment

I will probably give this order a try next time I watch through, but one thing does jump out, and that is the placing of Signs and Portents near the end of the season. Maybe it is just because that was the episode that convinced me this was more than just another episodic SF show and it felt like the timing of that was perfect where it was, but I will definitely see how it works like this.
                  The Optimist: The glass is half full
                  The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                  The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
                    I will probably give this order a try next time I watch through, but one thing does jump out, and that is the placing of Signs and Portents near the end of the season. Maybe it is just because that was the episode that convinced me this was more than just another episodic SF show and it felt like the timing of that was perfect where it was, but I will definitely see how it works like this.
                    Yep I agree moving Signs is definitely the most significant change from the original order - but I think it really strengthens Delenn's story over the last few episodes of the season.

I was conscious about totally wrecking the pacing of the season when rearranging everything, so I went down a bit of a rabbit hole looking at how the other seasons are paced and tried to stick as close to that as I could. It's not exactly the same, but in my ordering Babylon Squared comes much earlier, and I think the reveal in that episode gives you similar "what the hell just happened?" moment at roughly the same point in the season.

Thanks for checking it out - it'd be great to hear how you find it.
                    Last edited by gs4291; 11-01-2020, 07:42 AM.

Comment

If you want to watch them in the correct chronological order

News board posting on 19th May 2000:
                      "Because episodes were often aired out of order, you have to look at what's *inside* the episode when determining the chronology rather than when PTEN decided to air an episode.
                      jms"

SEASON 1 2258
                      Midnight on the Firing Line. Monday February 28th 2258.
                      Soul Hunter. Wednesday 2nd March – Thursday 3rd March 2258.
                      Infection. Tuesday March 8th- Wednesday March 9th 2258.
                      Born to the Purple. Tuesday March 22nd – Friday March 25th 2258.
                      The Parliament of Dreams. Wednesday March 30th – Sunday April 3rd 2258.
                      The War Prayer. Sunday April 3rd – Thursday April 7th 2258.
                      And the Sky Full of Stars. Monday April 11th – Wednesday April 13th 2258.
                      Mind War. Sunday April 24th – Tuesday April 26th 2258.
                      By Any Means Necessary. May 2258.
                      Death Walker. May 2258.
                      Believers. June 2258.
                      Survivors. June 2258.
                      A Voice In the Wilderness Pts1 & 2. June 2258. See note below.
                      Babylon Squared. Tuesday July 12th 2258 - Wednesday July 13th 2258
                      Legacies. July 2258. See note below.
                      Grail. July 2258. See note below
                      Signs and Portents. Wednesday August 3rd – Friday August 5th 2258.
                      TKO. August 2258.
                      EYES. September 2258.
                      The Quality of Mercy. September 2258.
                      Chrysalis. Friday December 30th 2258 – Sunday January 1st 2259.

NOTE: Babylon Squared, Legacies and Grail are placed before Signs and Portents and ordered on the basis of Delenn receiving the Triluminary and beginning construction on the Chrysalis device (shown at different stages of construction throughout).

Comment

Working...
                      X