No announcement yet.

Isn't that B5 music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought the "Sleeping In Light" theme reminded me of BBC's "Masterchief" theme slowed down a bit .

Friends used to think my bursting into tears when Lloyd Grossman appeared on the screen was somekind of romantic statement about the decline of western culture or something.
    I have the wings for Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless
      Can't say I remember it and Goldsmith has done such varied work guessing isnt very easy, what did in sound like roughly?
      Oh, brother!

It goes....

Daaaaah, Daaaah, Daaaaaaagh, Diiiiiigh, Daaaaaaaaaaagh, dum, Daaahdidaaagh dum, dadidah, dadidah, Dadi dumdidumdidumdiduum!

Now....does that help?
      http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
      Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
      47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Originally posted by LightStorm
        Okay, how about this.....

JUDGE DREDD - THE MOVIE.

Now that was a mixed bag of a movie....It looked FANTASTIC, but then it was a typical Stallone movie. However, The trailer had in it music that appeared nowhere in the final cut. The previously mentioned links tell me that the trailer music was by Jerry Goldsmith....But from which movie? Does anyone have any idea, as this one has been belting arond in my head for years?
        That's it, really.

It's from the soundrack Goldsmith did for Judge Dredd. They ended up deciding to go for another composer for the final movie, but Goldsmith had already done the trailer music at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabaz
          That's it, really.

It's from the soundrack Goldsmith did for Judge Dredd. They ended up deciding to go for another composer for the final movie, but Goldsmith had already done the trailer music at that point.
          This seems extremely unlikely to me. As noted above, the score is generally the last thing to be done on a film, as it has to be matched to the final cut. (This is one reason the re-edit of The Gathering needed a new score. The scenes JMS had added back in had no music, and the other pieces he was cutting and rearranging could not be sync'd up with the existing music.) So either Goldsmith would have written an entire score, which they junked (seems unlikely) or they would have paid him just to write music for the trailer - which is also almost never done. Either a trailer will user music from the final film (if there is enough time between the end of post production and the film's debut) or "canned" music that matches the mood of the film - something from an earlier soundtrack that the studio already owns. (There are still fees involved in reusing such music, but they are substantially less than having new music written.)

Neither the Judge Dredd page nor the Jerry Goldsmith one on IMDB indicate that he did any work on Judge Dredd. I would assume if a piece of his music is in the Dredd trailer it is from another film that Disney/Hollywood pictures already had in its library.

Regards,

Joe
          Joseph DeMartino
          Sigh Corps
          Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
            This seems extremely unlikely to me. As noted above, the score is generally the last thing to be done on a film, as it has to be matched to the final cut. (This is one reason the re-edit of The Gathering needed a new score. The scenes JMS had added back in had no music, and the other pieces he was cutting and rearranging could not be sync'd up with the existing music.) So either Goldsmith would have written an entire score, which they junked (seems unlikely) or they would have paid him just to write music for the trailer - which is also almost never done. Either a trailer will user music from the final film (if there is enough time between the end of post production and the film's debut) or "canned" music that matches the mood of the film - something from an earlier soundtrack that the studio already owns. (There are still fees involved in reusing such music, but they are substantially less than having new music written.)

Neither the Judge Dredd page nor the Jerry Goldsmith one on IMDB indicate that he did any work on Judge Dredd. I would assume if a piece of his music is in the Dredd trailer it is from another film that Disney/Hollywood pictures already had in its library.

Regards,

Joe
            Yet it is true. Trust me, I didn't suck the story out of my thumb. You can confirm it pretty easily by just doing a google search (on 'goldsmith dredd trailer' or something like that).

Scrapping composers close to a movie's release is not that uncommon (last high profile case I can think of is Peter Jackson and co letting Howard Shore go as the composer for King Kong at the very last minute). Having their music end up in the trailers doesn't happen quite as often, but in this case, it did.

Comment

Yet it is true. Trust me, I didn't suck the story out of my thumb.
              I didn't mean to imply that you were making stuff up (and thank you for a new euphemism, by the way ), only that the story as you heard it might have been mistaken. It is so unusual given the way things normally go. But I bow to your superior knowledge in this matter.

Regards,

Joe
              Last edited by Joseph DeMartino; 09-19-2006, 05:12 PM.
              Joseph DeMartino
              Sigh Corps
              Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Heh. It's a Dutch expression ('iets uit je duim zuigen', sucking something out of your thumb; making something up). I didn't realize it didn't exist in English until you mentioned it being new. Woops.

Comment

Upon reading this thread, I tried to rip my Sleeping In Light cd to my computer the other day so I could listen to it on my i-pod and my computer said it couldn't read the cd. Anyone else have this problem? I wonder if it's because of the weird plastic edges format that the cd was in.
                  Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                  True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Heh. It's a Dutch expression ('iets uit je duim zuigen', sucking something out of your thumb; making something up). I didn't realize it didn't exist in English until you mentioned it being new. Woops.
                    The same idea in English is expressed rather rudely, I'm afraid - "Pulling something out of my/your/his/her ass", sometimes softened to "my/your/his/her butt" - but even this isn't appropriate for some settings like formal business meetings. I thought you were offering a cleaned-up version I'd never encountered before. Although now that I think of it "sucking something out of your thumb" could open up a whole new area of rudeness.

Regards,

Joe
                    Joseph DeMartino
                    Sigh Corps
                    Pat Tallman Division

Comment

OK.

Joe, what is the score with movied with 2 soundtracks?

BladeRunner - Vangelis and ???
                      Legend?

As an aside:
                      My favorite soundtracks are
                      Basil Poledouris: Conan, Le Miserables
                      Goldsmith: 13th Warrior
                      Zimmer: Gladiator
                      "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

It is early in the morning for me, but I keep thinking you talk like Kosh (confusing), NotKosh

Blade Runner was only scored by Vangelis for your info.

Comment

What about scores with multiple movies?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0080421/

It was reused in at least three films.
                          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

That's probably James Horner copying his own work so closely you couldn't tell it apart.
                            Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by NotKosh
                              OK.

Joe, what is the score with movied with 2 soundtracks?

BladeRunner - Vangelis and ???
                              Legend?
                              Legend was scored by Tangerine Dream, which brings this conversation full circle, don't it?
                              Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
                                Although now that I think of it "sucking something out of your thumb" could open up a whole new area of rudeness.
                                You want some variations on that?
                                In German, you don't specify which finger you sucked.
                                In Hungarian, it's the little finger.
                                Babylon 5 Animations

Comment

Working...
                                X