Isn't that B5 music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't that B5 music?

The other day I watched the trailer for the World Trade Center movie on tv, and I thought the music was great, but that it ringed a bell.
    Then I realized that it sounded exactly like the theme in the last two eps. of the series.

I don't know if what we hear in the trailer is part of the film's score or a theme they've taken from somewhere else, or what. I mean, sometimes they use score from other sources on the trailers, maybe they've taken it and paid Franke or whoever, for using it.
    Maybe I just have seen Sleeping in Light so many times that I've gone nuts.

What do you think? Is it the same theme or am I nuts?
    Bravery is simply apathy with delusions of grandeur (Emperor Mollari II)

I used to play the SiL CD over and over in my car. There are some phrases that are quite similar to the SiL theme but, no, I don't it's the same music.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I remember that when "Sleeping in Light" first aired a number of people compared the music to the score from a feature filim from a few years before. Some people wondered if Christopher Franke had also scored the film, others, less kindly, wondered if he had "borrowed" from it.

I no longer remember the name of the film, but I know I recognized it at the time and did remember the music having a similar feel. I rented it and found what Jan described above, a few phrases and passages that were similar, so that one piece could remind you of the other, but not enough that one could really mistake one for the other.

I suspect the WTC trailer used music from this earlier film. The score is often the last thing completed on a movie, since it is usually recorded with the final cut playing on a giant screen and orchestra playing in time to the final cut. Trailers are typically prepared months in advance and therefore often use other appropriate music already owned by the studio. The early teaser trailer for Star Trek: First Contact used music from the series (itself borrowed from the first film) and from Wrath of Khan, if I'm not mistaken. I often hear bits of the Apollo 13 score in trailers, even today. The Rocketeer is another film whose music has an odd afterlife in other movie's trailers.

Regards,

Joe
      Joseph DeMartino
      Sigh Corps
      Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
        There are some phrases that are quite similar to the SiL theme but, no, I don't it's the same music.

Jan
        I guess I heard those phrases and my mind filled in the gaps, but I cannot listen to it without thinking "B5".
        Bravery is simply apathy with delusions of grandeur (Emperor Mollari II)

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
          I remember that when "Sleeping in Light" first aired a number of people compared the music to the score from a feature filim from a few years before. Some people wondered if Christopher Franke had also scored the film, others, less kindly, wondered if he had "borrowed" from it.

I no longer remember the name of the film, but I know I recognized it at the time and did remember the music having a similar feel. I rented it and found what Jan described above, a few phrases and passages that were similar, so that one piece could remind you of the other, but not enough that one could really mistake one for the other.

I suspect the WTC trailer used music from this earlier film. The score is often the last thing completed on a movie, since it is usually recorded with the final cut playing on a giant screen and orchestra playing in time to the final cut. Trailers are typically prepared months in advance and therefore often use other appropriate music already owned by the studio. The early teaser trailer for Star Trek: First Contact used music from the series (itself borrowed from the first film) and from Wrath of Khan, if I'm not mistaken. I often hear bits of the Apollo 13 score in trailers, even today. The Rocketeer is another film whose music has an odd afterlife in other movie's trailers.

Regards,

Joe
          The film was "Dragonheart", Joe, and that music has been used in trailers ever since that film came out. However, the music in the WTC trailer was neither from "Sleeping in Light" or "Dragonheart", but it was most similar to SiL. I don't know where it came from or went, because it was nowhere in the actual film.
          Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

And on a related note...

Last night, I came across a movie I had never seen before - Miracle Mile, starring Anthony Edwards. It's 1988 film about a man who accidentally receives a phone call warning him of an impending nuclear war. By dawn, mayhem ensues. The music was 80s synth, and for the most part, sounded like John Carpenter's music with the ominous bass notes. but near the end (the very depressing end, I must say) the music began to sound a lot like the B5 Requiem, particularly the minor chords played after the bloodshed in "Severed Dreams" as Zach is helping out Garibaldi.

I said, "Wait a minute. Who's doing this music?" It was Tangerine Dream.

Also, in an odd coincidence, Richard Biggs (credited as Ricky Biggs) was in the film for about 10 seconds as a reporter who gets shot and killed live on the air (as does his camera man).

Comment

There was also a (IMHO) very bad game, called "Perry Rhodan รป Operation Eastside" (german titel (edit add: isn't it funny, here in europe people still think it's cool if it sounds english *g*), dunno if it was even available in other countries). But I found myself in front of the game, even thou it was horrible (IMHO). After about a month I found out why... the music, stupid. It was the beginning of my Babylon 5 time (I was quite a late starter), and it suddently hit me: That is the (musical) voice of Franke... and sure, as I checked out the composer it was Christopher Franke. He has a very distinct style, that perfectly gives you a feeling of "future", while still being very "dramatic". (IMHO) The perfect music for a science fiction series, the only other example I can find is the score from Dr. Who, a series I don't like, but the music score is superb!

Don't get me wrong, the Star Wars score was in its time also superb, and gets a little tear in my eye every time I hear it, but it has not the "feeling" of science fiction for me, only of drama. It is the electronic "sights", the deep tones in the background, the little sounds that nearly escape your recognition... all that adds to an atmosphere.

PeAcE
              greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
                Last night, I came across a movie I had never seen before - Miracle Mile, starring Anthony Edwards. It's 1988 film about a man who accidentally receives a phone call warning him of an impending nuclear war. By dawn, mayhem ensues.
                I have been trying to remember the name of that movie for almost 20 years! I never thought I would find it. Thanks.
                I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler
                  I have been trying to remember the name of that movie for almost 20 years! I never thought I would find it. Thanks.
                  IMDB, my friend. It's a wonderful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
                    IMDB, my friend. It's a wonderful thing.
                    Oh, yeah! Can't even count the number of times a conversation with friends has gone something like:

"What was the name of that movie? You, know, the one with the guy who was in the movie with Harrison Ford where they were polic officers. It was kind of a comedy action thing."

In ages past this question could well go unanswered, but now IMDB will take you down the path!
                    "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Here's the music used in the various trailers to WTC: http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/?cid=W&id=1843

And here's a list to other films: http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/
                      Babylon 5 Animations

Comment

Okay, how about this.....

JUDGE DREDD - THE MOVIE.

Now that was a mixed bag of a movie....It looked FANTASTIC, but then it was a typical Stallone movie. However, The trailer had in it music that appeared nowhere in the final cut. The previously mentioned links tell me that the trailer music was by Jerry Goldsmith....But from which movie? Does anyone have any idea, as this one has been belting arond in my head for years?
                        http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                        Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                        47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Originally posted by LightStorm
                          Okay, how about this.....

JUDGE DREDD - THE MOVIE.

Now that was a mixed bag of a movie....It looked FANTASTIC, but then it was a typical Stallone movie. However, The trailer had in it music that appeared nowhere in the final cut. The previously mentioned links tell me that the trailer music was by Jerry Goldsmith....But from which movie? Does anyone have any idea, as this one has been belting arond in my head for years?
                          Can't say I remember it and Goldsmith has done such varied work guessing isnt very easy, what did in sound like roughly?

The one I'v actually heard the most in recent years is John Williams Stargate theme that seems to turn up in the trailer of every other vaguely sci fish film.
                          Who are you?
                          What do you want?
                          What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

John Williams didn't write a Stargate Theme.

That was Dave Arnold.
                            I have the wings for Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Shr'eshhhhhh
                              John Williams didn't write a Stargate Theme.

That was Dave Arnold.
                              Looking it up your right, for some reason I'v always thought it was by Williams.
                              Who are you?
                              What do you want?
                              What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Working...
                              X