B5 Events programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Remember that most recently Pat's been a *travel agent & guide*. How much do you suppose she's made in that field in the last few months and foreseeable future? All production is shut down, both film and live performances. How do you *think* they're doing financially??
    Don't know - as you rightly say, it none of our business - Don't care, it holds no interest for me which is why there's no speculation either. . . I was responding to what you were saying, and how it compares to the advertising blurb promoting it as a thing amongst friends. . . I found it interesting.

Between the two of us you're the only one which is speculating - specifically, as you put it, what might make it "worth their while".
    Last edited by Triple F; 05-29-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

For the hard of understanding, let me point out the part of the sentence you skipped "So if this were a convention, at the discounted price, over 769 people would have to sign up for it in order for it to be worth their while." So again, IF this were a personal appearance, that's a minimum that it would take. So there was no speculation, just data for comparison purposes.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Here's a bit of speculation for you - the combative attitude of the admin on this page is a contributing factor as to why not so many people participate in open discussions on here. Is It really necessary to start with the insults. I'll play that point scoring game if you want, but frankly it's on the boring side.

So you don't view speculating on the number of tickets needed to make it worth their while as speculation . . . Yes, I get it, you're comparing this to a convention with your best guess (speculation) at what they get paid at a such events, but this isn't a convention, and we're talking about THIS online event in particular, and seems you were too. . . . . Otherwise why did you introduce/ what they might earn for attending a con. . . .To show the quote you just highlighted a bit more in context. . .

There are at least four people involved. Now the one and only time I heard of how much an appearance fee for an actor was (many years ago) it was over $10K (plus travel, plus per diem). So if this were a convention, at the discounted price, over 769 people would have to sign up for it in order for it to be worth their while. And that doesn't even allow for anything for Jason!
        You speculated on the number of tickets required to make this online event financially comparable to a convention attendance, and then you brought up the fan who is asking questions for this online event. . . Jason - and then you speculated that the amount raised doesn't even include what he gets paid. . . This is news to me, I didn't imagine Jason (a fan) would get paid. . . That's interesting as well.

So I'm guessing (speculating), that at least part of your point is that asking fans to pay either 40, 50 or 125 bucks to participate in this online event is good value for money - at least for the four people involved!? Or am I getting that wrong.

Yes, I do get it that another part of your point is that - excluding Jason - these actresses get paid for con attendaces, and that they might have reduced income due to the current world situation. How they organsise such events, and what they get paid for doing it is entirely their business. What I and others have mentioned - since the topic is online fan events - is that other events also exist involving a wide range of other artists, and for the cost conscious they are on the whole free. Looney has mentioned how the price of this one could be viewed as bad form (milking the fans, though I'm speculating on that's what he's thinking) . . . . I'm still not sure what you're saying other than it's none of our business what they do with "Their" money, and they might have reduced cash flow from other revenue streams.
        Last edited by Triple F; 05-29-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

The main contribuiting factor to these forums being relatively slow is the fact that the show's been gone for so long. Open discussion means I get to participate and I don't think anybody would say that I don't make it clear when I'm posting as Admin and when I'm posting as a fan. I'm proud of the fact that when news or rumors spring up, many of the folks who've wandered away remember this place and come here to find out what the facts are.

Bottom line, anybody who doesn't want to pay for the event shouldn't do so. No harm, no foul.

Ah, Tom...I so love the way you use the word 'interesting'. Sometimes I wonder if we even speak the same language but we've known that for ages now. And yes, you've gotten everything wrong so far. FYI, Jason is far more than just a fan. He's writing the definitive history of Babylon 5 and he wrote the B5 Encyclopedia and the proper term to describe him in this instance is "expert".
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

The main contribuiting factor to these forums being relatively slow is the fact that the show's been gone for so long. Open discussion means I get to participate and I don't think anybody would say that I don't make it clear when I'm posting as Admin and when I'm posting as a fan. I'm proud of the fact that when news or rumors spring up, many of the folks who've wandered away remember this place and come here to find out what the facts are.

Bottom line, anybody who doesn't want to pay for the event shouldn't do so. No harm, no foul.

Ah, Tom...I so love the way you use the word 'interesting'. Sometimes I wonder if we even speak the same language but we've known that for ages now. And yes, you've gotten everything wrong so far. FYI, Jason is far more than just a fan. He's writing the definitive history of Babylon 5 and he wrote the B5 Encyclopedia and the proper term to describe him in this instance is "expert".
            Yeah, there probably is a degree of two countries separated by a common language going on. There's certainly a pretty fundamental cultural difference in how we view certain things. I'm tempted to ask what you love about how I use the word "interesting", but that would suggest more interest on my part than really exists.

Comment

At least there is debate, about something, regardless of what that is.... better than no one posting!
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I completely blanked on this. I was thinking about it as I went to bed last night and now at 11:35pm my time I just realized I completely and totally forgot it was happening today.

So how was it?
                Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I've only seen the first hour so far as I wasn't feeling well yesterday. Looked like there were a few technical difficulties at first and it started a few minutes late. Looked like that segment was all fan questions. The three ladies looked like they were haing a good time and are still good friends. I'm hoping the link to the recording comes today as I'm most interested in the more in-depth questions from the one-on-one interviews.

Comment

I've only seen the first hour so far as I wasn't feeling well yesterday. Looked like there were a few technical difficulties at first and it started a few minutes late. Looked like that segment was all fan questions. The three ladies looked like they were haing a good time and are still good friends. I'm hoping the link to the recording comes today as I'm most interested in the more in-depth questions from the one-on-one interviews.
                    Sounds like a good time. I was tempted, but missed the discount deadline and actually it was a good thing of sorts as I have been busier than I would have imagined I would be during all of this. There is actually more things I want to view than I have time to watch.

Regarding the price vs convention appearance. I wouldn't be surprised at the estimate for the convention appearance. Though at our local sf media conventions, in addition to probably 2 hours of appearance over the weekend, they would have photo ops and autographs (sometimes included in convention ticket price, but more often not these days [there are usually 2 or 3 guests at Shore Leave from whom your can get a free autograph each on Saturday and Sunday, Farpoint usually offers 2 free autographs over the weekend] ). I think the way some appearance fees work is that the convention guarantees a certain amount and if photo ops and autographs don't cover it, then the convention supplements that (nominally through the original ticket revenue). If those go over then there may be some split. It does depend on the convention. This event, though, is just an appearance with no other supplemental ways of making up the cost. So, a lot of apples and oranges comparisons, but still something to consider when thinking about the ticket price for such an event.

Comment

Changed the thread title as it looks like there will be a number of these. Coming up June 27 will be Peter Jurasik and Bill Mumy. No info on prices so far.

https://b5events.com/?fbclid=IwAR02y...hTZOQGIg0XXvAw

Comment

Changed the thread title as it looks like there will be a number of these. Coming up June 27 will be Peter Jurasik and Bill Mumy. No info on prices so far.

Ohhh. Am quite fond of Peter! Mira was tempting for the last one, but maybe still a bit pricey for me if tickets are the same price.
                        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

The event just was just emailed to people on the list.

The link above has the prices now:
                          Early bird special is $39.95. [$10 off price through Saturday June 20th.]
                          VIP is $149.95

In the email (times PDT)
                          11am Opening remarks with Pat and Rusty then we hand it over to Jason Davis!

12pm Spotlight on Peter ( order could change)

1pm Spotlight on Bill

General farewell!
                          ( Times will be adjusted...we might go longer)

**2:15 the VIP party ( separate ticket)
                          Last edited by nottenst; 06-14-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Why are they doing this to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                              Why are they doing this to me?
                              This is Pat. She knows what you want.

Comment

Exactly. AND she is trying to tempt me with purchasing the rewind of the first event. I have to say one reason I am hesitant is that I haven't really heard anything about it, good or bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X