• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Towelmaster
    Dr. Zelenka

• Towelmaster
    replied
    Exactly my story... We deserve a bloody bonus!

Leave a comment:

• Shr'eshhhhhh
    Confirmed User

• Shr'eshhhhhh
    replied
    I've watched the show, I taped the show (editing out all the adverts), I bought all the VHS tapes (God knows how much that cost me) I bought the films again on VHS because they were in widescreen, I bought the DVD's... (the first two films twice because Warner wouldn't stick them in the film box set and I want them to match up...grrr!)

Would I buy HD redux's?

Oh, proberbly I guess...

As long as the better half never found out.

Why can't they just give them to me?

Haven't I done enough already?

Leave a comment:

• moreorless
    Confirmed User

• moreorless
    replied
    Originally posted by Shabaz
    It was in part heavy reliance on theater inspired set design, I think, that gave it that look. I think it worked for the show mostly, with the budgets they had.
    In the case of ISN I'd add that it always seemed like a bit of a pastiche of modern news reporting to me with the very OTT graphics and intro's or maybe I'v been watching too much Chris Morris.

The show as a whole never really struck me as going for 100% realism which IMHO is part of the reason why it hasnt dated as much as you'd expect. As far as FX go the classic example for me would be the Harryhausen films, yes the methods used have dated but the actual work has so much character it can still stand up.

Leave a comment:

• Shabaz
    Confirmed User

• Shabaz
    replied
    Originally posted by moreorless
    Perhaps its just the age but I often got the sense that the visuals thoughout the series were aiming for a certain simplicity. The Minbari most obviously but even the human art design struck me as more than a little comic like with lots of bold colours/lines.
    It was in part heavy reliance on theater inspired set design, I think, that gave it that look. I think it worked for the show mostly, with the budgets they had.

Leave a comment:

• moreorless
    Confirmed User

• moreorless
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil Harmonic
    Another thing they could change is everything ISN. Since the advent of computers, cnn etc have these real slick interfaces and ISN just looks ... crude. Same with the computer system a million years in there future, it didn't look that advanced.
    Perhaps its just the age but I often got the sense that the visuals thoughout the series were aiming for a certain simplicity. The Minbari most obviously but even the human art design struck me as more than a little comic like with lots of bold colours/lines.

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    Busy! Busy! Busy!

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    Neither have I ... does that mean I can claim it as my own?

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    Bending rules since 1978

• David Panzer
    replied
    Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair
    And is actually quite true. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, so all you can do is get it to the stage where the time spent on additional work is not justified by noticeable improvement and let the world make its judgement.

There isn't a single song I have ever written that I haven't wanted to go back at some point and tweak, but if I did that I would never get anything new written, so I choose to abandon it as it is.
    I just said "too many damn artists" because I have no clue who said it first

Leave a comment:

• Phil Harmonic
    Confirmed User

• Phil Harmonic
    replied
    Another thing they could change is everything ISN. Since the advent of computers, cnn etc have these real slick interfaces and ISN just looks ... crude. Same with the computer system a million years in there future, it didn't look that advanced.

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    Busy! Busy! Busy!

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow
    "Art is never completed, it's simply abandoned" - Said by too many damned artists.
    And is actually quite true. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, so all you can do is get it to the stage where the time spent on additional work is not justified by noticeable improvement and let the world make its judgement.

There isn't a single song I have ever written that I haven't wanted to go back at some point and tweak, but if I did that I would never get anything new written, so I choose to abandon it as it is.

Leave a comment:

• moreorless
    Confirmed User

• moreorless
    replied
    Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
    A really successful B5 feature would, by definition, increase the potential audience for more B5, since no move based on a cult property can do big numbers at the box office based soley on the existing fan base. It is axiomatic that many people who see such a film are going to be new to the material, and that some of them will then go back to explore the original source material. (Hence both the Lord of the Rings films and the first Narnia installment were probably seen by more people who hadd never read the books than those who had. And book sales shot up for both for that very reason. Even monster best-sellers like Harry Potter and The DaVinci Code are seen by far more people than read them.)

So not only the DVD, but the television prospects of B5 would be vastly improved by a successful feature film. Surely some syndicator or cable channel would snap up the rerun rights to the original series. As this would be likely to take place several years from now, there would be more preasure to present the series in HD. At that point WB Domestic Television might be willing to spring for new CGI and hi-def masters - as they financed the widescreen version for the Sci-Fi Channel - or at least split the cost with Warner Home Video.

Conditions change, and in show biz one should never say "never".

Regards,

Joe
    Yeah I wasnt argueing that a sucessful film wouldnt be an obvious advantage but rather that an unsucessful or mildly sucessful one wouldnt nesseserily rule out a HD DVD release.

From JMS's comments on TLT it seems that Warners were very keen to have some new B5 product and as we've seen with the extended cuts of LOTR additional FX work purely for DVD isnt unknown.
    moreorless
    Confirmed User
    Last edited by moreorless; 09-12-2006, 05:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    Bending rules since 1978

• David Panzer
    replied
    "Art is never completed, it's simply abandoned" - Said by too many damned artists.

New technology in every field comes out faster than people can blink. Does that mean that the great achievements made in those fields are less meaningful because they were created and accomplished using now out-of-date technology? Not in the least. If those involved want to spend the time, money and effort to improve stuff that they've already created, that's their choice. I just won't expect anything new from those people for quite a while.

As for the sports in HD- I can read the numbers and names on jerseys quite fine. Especially on football jerseys since they've always had these huge numbers on the front and back. I only watch golf on the highlights, and when I watch those I'm more interested in the human those highlights are about instead of what the humans are walking on. As for cheerleaders, I don't see the point in them. If I want to see skin, there are plenty of strip clubs in Memphis and the internet...well, 85% of it is pron
    David Panzer
    Bending rules since 1978
    Last edited by David Panzer; 09-11-2006, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    Sleeping In Light

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Haha...I just read this thread as the "HD Redo...of the CGI Poll" as if the poll was being redone in HD. Didn't realize it was the old thread heh.

Leave a comment:

• Joseph DeMartino
    Confirmed User

• Joseph DeMartino
    replied
    You know, I think I may have to change my vote. In digging through the archives looking for a JMS comment on the loss of the CGI files, I remembered somthing Doug Netter once said. (Don't remember if this is from a DVD interview, a convention story, something JMS posted or something in one of the script books.) Anyway, in pitching the show to the networks, the big obstacle was always the budget. Nobody believed the show could be produced for the amount they were projecting. The visual effects were going to be murder - and the prothestics and alien masks were going to be worse. Doug made the point that the other shows all used movie prothetics and physical effects houses whose standard of look and finish was being undetectable on fine-grain film being projected on a 100 foot screen. B5's standard was that things look pretty good on a 27" to 42" NTSC or (at worst) PAL screen, in and interlaced image seen from 10 or 15 feet away. Everything (sets, props, makeup) had to be just good enough to get buy on TV. That meant things could be made faster, cheaper, with less fine tuning. JMS may have been thinking HDTV, but money man Netter wasn't.

The interesting thing is the original Trek, in contrast to its offspring, took much the same approach. When traditional film houses couldn't meet their schedules the Trek upstarts either invented newer, faster and cheaper ways to do things or convinced their vendors to cut corners they would not normally have cut, because Trek only had to be good enough to be views on a (max) 25" screen with an even lower res picture tube being fed by a realtively crude TV camera and broadcast transmitter. Even standard def TV today is way ahead of where TV was when Trek debuted and color was still something new. As a result Paramount had to do an enormous (and expensive) amount of digital clean-up on the footage from TOS used in some of the later series, because things like coffee stains on Spock's shirt and brush strokes in the paint on the plywood sets showed up clearly in the new digital transfers taken from the original film.

Maybe we're better off leaving well enough alone. (Although I sure would love to see all those distracting comp shots in the Zen Garden fixed, really see the central core look the way it should and replace that horrible diorama in Sheridan's office with something that really resembled a window looking out into the station. A fella can dream, can't he? )

Regards,

Joe

Leave a comment:

• Joseph DeMartino
    Confirmed User

• Joseph DeMartino
    replied
    From what I've seen of HD for sports, the picture may be sharper but I can do without seeing section 47G of the stadium the game is being played at. If I wanted to see that section, I would have bought a ticket
    What this has to do with watching movies or TV shows shot on film in HD is anybody's guess, but thanks for sharing.

But seriously, don't you like being able to clearly read the names and numbers on the back of the jerseys, see if the guy caught the ball or just trapped it before the instant replay, actually see the g*****ed puck duing a hockey game, or each blade of grass as a golfer makes that key putt? Not doin' it for you? OK, how about cheerleaders? An cut-aways go good-looking women in the stands?

Freaky to think that if someone ran a good recovery programme on their bargain Hard drive what they might find.
    Sometimes you don't even need that much. A guy bought a bunch of surplus computers from a hospital a few months back and found thousands of confidentail patient records on the hard drives. In this case, someone had forgotten to destroy the data before releasing them for auction.

But in other cases even the best data recovery program won't do you any good. One company I work with uses a Department of Defense certified data scrubber on their surpluse drives, after they run several other destructive routines and then they have us test our ability to recover data on randomly selected drives. For CDs and DVDs they have a belt sander and a microwave oven - one that's used only to destroy discs.

Regards,

Joe

Leave a comment:

• Joseph DeMartino
    Confirmed User

• Joseph DeMartino
    replied
    Originally posted by Shabaz
    It wasn't just lost, they actually actively destroyed it? I didn't know that. Any reference link where I can read more about exactly what happened there? I tried searching JMS's messages a few days ago, but couldn't find anything more specific than it being lost.
    That's always been my understanding - not "lost" as in "we don't know where they are" but "lost" as in "we lost everything we owned in the fire" You see the difference?

I recall this as being one of those, "yeah, everybody just knows this" items from the time the Rangers pilot was shooting. I'll have to look for some specific posts about the details. But my understanding is that they were destroyed although I'm not sure I'd use the word "deliberately". As I recall it wasn't a matter of "let's purge those Babylon 5 files" as "let's purge those old hard drives and tapes that nobody's ever going to need again" followed several years later by "There was what on those drives? Oh. Crap. Sorry, dude." Not malice, just carelessness, stupidity and a lack of communication. In short, human nature.

JMS did say this much in answer to a question about the CGI:

"Those files are no more"

http://jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-167...ry=cgi%20files

"...WB had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we were able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it. "

http://jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-164...ry=cgi%20files

Regards,

Joe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X