RIP D.C. Fontana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP D.C. Fontana

D.C. Fontana, writer of B5 episodes 'The War Prayer', 'Legacies', and 'A Distant Star' has passed away. She was probably best known for her work on Star Trek.
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
    D.C. Fontana, writer of B5 episodes 'The War Prayer', 'Legacies', and 'A Distant Star' has passed away. She was probably best known for her work on Star Trek.
    Very sad news.
    And as You say: well known for her ST work.
    B5-Stefan

--
    Lorien: "Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal."
    [Babylon 5, Into the Fire]

Comment

I was just reading some of her introductions to her scripts in the B5 script books. I particularly liked this bit:

In terms of my script, I added the subplot of the two young lovers fleeting to Babylon 5 to escape arranged marriages on Centauri Prime. Joe was at first reluctant, saying he didn’t want to do Romeo and Juliet. I explained it wasn’t really about them, though I wanted them to be sympathetic. They were the device that allowed us to look into Londo, his lack of love in his marriages and his acceptance of loneliness and absence of joy as a necessary part of his life and his duty – despite what his heart may have longed for. Once he has taken an honest look inside himself, he finds a solution for the young lovers’ problem in an old Centauri fosterage tradition that neatly foils the arranged marriage tradition.
      Such great insight into Londo!
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Very sad news indeed.
        Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

R.I.P.

'The War Prayer' has some classic lines and is a really good Londo centric episode. Always worth remembering the contributions of other writers to B5. This kind of episode helps create more texture and depth to the universe. Whilst I love the modern, tighter 10 episode shows, this is the kind of things an old school 22 epiosde season can do in terms of storytelling and character moments. It's something Jan often mentions, and this episode is a great example of that.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

It's been a really hard week for the Trek family. Since D.C. Fontana's passing, Robert Walker Jr. (Charlie X from TOS) and René Auberjonois have passed away and Marina Sirtis tweeted last night that her husband, Michael Lamper, died in his sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              It's been a really hard week for the Trek family. Since D.C. Fontana's passing, Robert Walker Jr. (Charlie X from TOS) and René Auberjonois have passed away and Marina Sirtis tweeted last night that her husband, Michael Lamper, died in his sleep.
              I am not very plugged into Trek fandom, but man, that is one awful week. Rene was absolutely great as Odo. Also really sad to hear Marina has lost her partner.
              Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Completing a bit the sad ST news.
                Even if it is some weeks ago (sep-21): Aron Eisenberg as Quark's nephew Nog passed away so young!

But I'm hopeful, that Odo and Nog won't have any ferengi hassle at that place.

B5-Stefan

--
                Lorien: "Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal."
                [Babylon 5, Into the Fire]

Comment

That was a huge load of sad new in one short time. Very sad to hear about all of them. I started reading up on Trek last year and D.C. was one person that grew more the more I read.

Comment

Working...
                  X