New B5 Script books via Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New B5 Script books via Amazon

While not including JMS' commentary like the previous editions, many folks will like that there are more scripts per book.
    J. Michael Straczynski - Hang with JMS

11 mins ·

A Babylon 5 Christmas Surprise….

From 2005 until about 2009, B5 Books (which I do not own but who I supported in their worthy endeavor) published a limited edition 15-volume set of Babylon 5 scripts containing never-to-be-reprinted written commentaries. In the decade that followed these books became rarities, selling on Ebay and other sites for a hundred dollars or more per copy, so the current cost of buying the entire limited edition in single volumes on Ebay would be somewhere in the range of $2,000.

Long term fans who didn’t know the books existed during the first print run, and viewers who came upon the show once it began appearing on various streaming services, have been asking for years if the scripts would ever be made available again.

The answer, at long last, is: yes.

Babylon 5: All My Words is now available through Amazon in a brand new edition that includes the scripts for all of the episodes I wrote for the series, as well as the six original B5 TV movies. And the Sky Full of Stars, The Coming of Shadows, Chrysalis, Babylon Squared, Severed Dreams, Sleeping in Light… 92 episodes that in many cases contain material that was omitted from the final episode in order to hit the necessary running time for broadcast purposes.

In order to make the books as accessible as possible, the scripts have been packed into eleven volumes rather than fifteen, at a cost of $30 each, well under the original cover price, reducing the cost for complete eleven volume sets to just $330. So whether you (or a loved one) are a Babylon 5 fan, a media student, a fledgling writer, or just someone who wants an up-close and personal look at the step-by-step process that led to the development of the very first 5-year arc in American television history and set the stage for such later series as Battlestar Galactica, Lost, and Game of Thrones, among many others, this is your chance to read along with the episodes to see how the arc and the characters were crafted, and spot all the bonus bits that ended up on the cutting room floor.

With the exception of The Gathering, for which the original file was lost and thus scanned from the best available copy, all the other scripts in these volumes were drawn from the original script PDF files, ensuring that they are in pristine form. What you will see on the pages is exactly what the cast, directors and crew of Babylon 5 saw when the scripts were delivered to their doorsteps prior to filming.

The books are available in the US at https://www.amazon.com/s…

Previously, overseas fans had to pay for the often expensive shipping costs to have the books sent from the US to their homes. But because of the worldwide interest in Babylon 5, we’ve eliminated that issue by making these volumes available via Amazon:

The UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/s…

Germany https://www.amazon.de/s…

France https://www.amazon.fr/s…

Spain https://www.amazon.es/s…

Italy https://www.amazon.it/s…

Japan https://www.amazon.jp/s…

and Canada https://www.amazon.ca/s…

Babylon 5: All My Words is exactly what the title indicates: every word, every bit of dialogue, every description, character moment, clue, fight scene, foreshadowing and mystery I wrote for this series, lovingly and painstakingly recreated in the pages of these eleven books. So if there is a book-shaped stocking hanging over the hearth this Christmas bearing your name or the name of a loved one, this might very well fit the bill, whether you’re looking for the full set or just your favorite episodes.

Babylon 5 was a dream given form.

And as with any act of creation, in the beginning was the word.

Or in this case, the words.

Herewith, I give them to you.

JMS
    To the question about a Kindle version (heck, that was my first question, too!):
    J. Michael Straczynski

@straczynski
    ·
    32s
    I'm afraid not...the formatting of scripts makes it very difficult to transfer into a standard kindle without going through and hand-adjusting every single line, and even then it might not be entirely successful. But we will investigate again in future.
    Last edited by Jan; 11-10-2019, 04:23 PM.
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Good news for all those who need the scripts. Our copies are still unique with the commentaries.

Comment

A good move, considering the hack of Cafe Press and the pirated versions appearing on Amazon. Although, a little odd they aren't offering a Kindle edition. This seems both more economical and environmentally friendly. I'd half consider buying kindle editions to have a portable version.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        A good move, considering the hack of Cafe Press and the pirated versions appearing on Amazon. Although, a little odd they aren't offering a Kindle edition. This seems both more economical and environmentally friendly. I'd half consider buying kindle editions to have a portable version.
        Apparently the tech isn't up to handling script formatting so far. That was close to the first questions asked (which I added above).
        "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Apparently the tech isn't up to handling script formatting so far. That was close to the first questions asked (which I added above).
          Not sure I quite sure I buy that. I can accept it would require some formatting work for sure, but kindle formats are fairly flexible as long as the source is all text based. Hopefully this will be addressed in the future as resources at B5 Books allow. You'd just need someone well versed in MOBI formats to make the necessary tweaks, it's not rocket science. The scripts are plain text.
          Last edited by Ubik; 11-11-2019, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Not sure I quite sure I buy that. I can accept it would require some formatting work for sure, but kindle formats are fairly flexible as long as the source is all text based. Hopefully this will be addressed in the future as resources at B5 Books allow. You'd just need someone well versed in MOBI formats to make the necessary tweaks, it's not rocket science. The scripts are plain text.
            It's very possible, but is labour (time) intensive to go through the text in the scripts and set up the various layouts (as jms said it would mean going through the file and adjusting - not exactly line by line - but a lot of setting up would be needed). But yeah, it's totally doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post

It's very possible, but is labour (time) intensive to go through the text in the scripts and set up the various layouts (as jms said it would mean going through the file and adjusting - not exactly line by line - but a lot of setting up would be needed). But yeah, it's totally doable.
              Originally posted by Ubik
              Not sure I quite sure I buy that.

Key words being time & labor intensive. As he said, maybe at some point but not right now. Whether some folks believe something or not is quite immaterial (though I've verified it with Jason Davis who has lots of experience with the vagaries of Amazon publishing).
              Last edited by Jan; 11-11-2019, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Sure makes me disbelieve any further mention of items that "will never be offered again". I'm going to think twice about what I buy going forward, and what I keep around for my kids to inherit. I suspect my script book collection will end up in the recycling eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by voxwoman View Post
                  I'm not sure how I feel about this. Sure makes me disbelieve any further mention of items that "will never be offered again". I'm going to think twice about what I buy going forward, and what I keep around for my kids to inherit. I suspect my script book collection will end up in the recycling eventually.
                  For me the most important part, and the part that I understood wouldn't be offered again, were all the commentaries and extras. In fact, I remember seeing in some of the mail-outs that they might indeed re-issue the scripts in a different publication at some point. Not sure if it was part of an FAQ or part of a mail-out, really, and not inclined to check. I don't recall anybody upset about the fact that some of the scripts in the script books had previously been issued by the Fan Club.

Comment

Key words being time & labor intensive. As he said, maybe at some point but not right now. Whether some folks believe something or not is quite immaterial (though I've verified it with Jason Davis who has lots of experience with the vagaries of Amazon publishing).
                    Totally fair, and I assumed as much. But the 'tech' is definitely up to it!

Comment

Totally fair, and I assumed as much. But the 'tech' is definitely up to it!
                      Not for a simple upload which is the point I think he was making. If the 'tech' won't accept the file and keep the formatting, then I think saying that it's "not up to it" is a fair assessment. But then, the machines have to prove they're our masters, don't they?

Comment

Not for a simple upload which is the point I think he was making. If the 'tech' won't accept the file and keep the formatting, then I think saying that it's "not up to it" is a fair assessment. But then, the machines have to prove they're our masters, don't they?
                        Fair enough. The way he phrased it wasn't awfully clear, but I get the gist of it.

It's funny really, 8-10 years ago this would have been a bombshell of epic proportions and it would have generated pages of chatter here on the forums. I am kinda sad it hasn't, but this is for the new fans, and I'm glad to see it out there for them. I would have been totally cool with a like for like reprint, as I think the introductions are the most enjoyable part. If I could get a book of intros over the scripts themselves, I'd get rid of my collection in a heartbeat.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if this drives the secondary market price for the B5Books Scripts up or down. Hopefully down as I still need several to complete my collection. LOL
                          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I don't recall anybody upset about the fact that some of the scripts in the script books had previously been issued by the Fan Club.
                            To tell the truth I was a bit annoyed with having paid so much for my Babylon Squared script from the Fan Club and then seeing it as part of a book of 6 scripts for basically the same cost. I got over it.

Note - Last time I tried, I still couldn't get the calculations to work with what it says on the show (or in the script) with how long it takes to evacuate Babylon 4. Either I am misunderstanding something or the number of how many per shuttle, how many shuttles, how long the round trip is, and so forth are just wrong.

Comment

All the material in volume 15 is unique to the original run so that part is not offered again.

Comment

Working...
                              X