FCD Events UK B5 convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCD Events UK B5 convention

Okay, I'm really rather hesitant to mention this because it's raised some red flags for me, but maybe others have information I don't about previous events.

There's a FB page advertiising a B5 Event in the UK Feb. 28 - Mar. 1 next year. https://www.facebook.com/events/9561...tab=discussion

It promises:
    There will be a minimum of 5 guests from the show including headliner guests.
    We will have props & displays
    Photo opportunities
    Green Screen photos
    Talks
    Parties
    Traders plus more!!

The more tickets we sell the bigger & better we can make this event!!
    There are ticket prices and various other packages from reasonable to sky-hi which is pretty standard but they also have an item: "Please make a donation to help support this event and future B5 events" . Seriously?

Secondly, the lack of an actual website raises a big flag. The link on their page leads back to that same FB page. Not a confidence-raiser.

And the ad itself raises flags. They've obviosly not booked a single gues yet or they'd have said so and that last line:
    The more tickets we sell the bigger & better we can make this event!![
    reads to me that 'we need the booking money to even begin making plans'. It doesn't seem at all likely that they've managed to book hotel space that can be expanded on depending on ticket sales.

So does anybody have any information about this or am I right to be wary? I've seen too many cons go under and fleece fans of their money.

ETA: I'd posted my concerns and a fan who's attended some of their events replied:
    I've been to three of their events. It was where I met Bruce and Claudia. They are small and intimate, they don't try to pack thousands of people in with queues a mile long (like Showmasters). They book friendly guests that you can talk with, rather than expensive big names with no time for people.
    It's run by 2 people with an army of unpaid passionate volunteers, so I guess they prefer to concentrate on Facebook than websites.
    They usually have a few guests booked this close to the event. I'm surprised it's so soon to be honest. They have a Stargate one next summer with half a dozen guests already announced. But I would also wait for a few guests first.
    ETA again. Looks like one of the organizers replied:
    Totally agree and understand Jan.

Please check us out. This has all happened very quickly and if we didn't act quickly we would have lost the venue.

We have a website which is showing our Stargate Event which will be a third one and our 7th in total.

The website will be up and running soon, but oddly enough, our ticket sales have mainly always come from facebook.

Anyhow, please check us out and if you have any questions let me / us know.

Kind regards

David Hedges
    Last edited by Jan; 11-12-2019, 02:05 PM.
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

I have not been to their events yet, but I am planning on going to this one.
    I have not heard any bad things about their events, so I will check it out. I would hope that they would invite JMS, too.
    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
      I have not been to their events yet, but I am planning on going to this one.
      I have not heard any bad things about their events, so I will check it out. I would hope that they would invite JMS, too.
      I'm very encouraged by the swiftness of their replies, for sure.
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Hmm, colour me slightly interested. Never been to a con for any fandom tbh, unless you count smaller comic cons here in the UK, and those have tended to focus on actual comics, creators and artists and not films or TV. Unsure if I'd enjoy a B5 con or not. I'm not too up for paying for autographs, but interesting panels would be kinda cool.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

The fact that it isn't showmasters means it's probalby not so focused ont he pay to play side of things. I've been to many (10) fan run discowrld conventions and this feels like the same sort fo flavour. This does seem mopre interesting. I might end up coming over on my own though, not usre my Fiancé shares my enthuseasm for B5.
          Phaze
          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Tracy Scoggins is the first confirmed guest for the con.

Comment

Mira Furlan has been announced now.

Comment

looking further in to the dates it's on, in the u 1 week before a discworld thing i'm attending in wales, I've floated the Idea to Ess and we're cosidering booking both and spending the intervening days touring the uk, seeing friends and ingressing.
                "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

I see Peter Jurasik is listed now!

Comment

Working...
                  X