Deathwalker (1.9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deathwalker (1.9)

We've just started to re-watch of B5. Great fun as always.

As far as I remember JMS is not to fond of the episode Deathwalker, written by Larry DiTillio. And it sometimes is found high on lists of the less good episodes. On this watch I was struck by how good I found the episode to be. Sure, Kosh talks a bit to much compared to the rest of the show and the Talia subplot was cut short. But as far as I see it Deathwalker and a few other first season episodes, like By Any Means Necessary, manages very well to establish the idea of Babylon 5 and does a good world building job.

Deathwalker is one of the few episodes which shows how the Babylon 5 council works, it shows a lot of behind the scenes intrigue, that the Earth Alliance has its own agenda, just like all the other races. And more or less for the first time that the Vorlons are major players in the galaxy that "guide" the destiny of the younger races.

I liked the episode a lot this time around.

hello Satai,

Given your obvious love for the episode, would you be interested in joining us to disucss when we record it? We did "infection" tonight and we could arrange, i'm sure, a mutually suitable tine to record, depending on what time zone you are in.

PM me if you are interested
    "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
      hello Satai,

Given your obvious love for the episode, would you be interested in joining us to disucss when we record it? We did "infection" tonight and we could arrange, i'm sure, a mutually suitable tine to record, depending on what time zone you are in.

PM me if you are interested
      That could perhaps be fun.

And I forgot to mention the Dilgar. This is the episode they expand on the whole Dilgar war thing. I think it has been mentioned before that, but it is here we get some detail about it.

Comment

One more thing in this episode that I thought about this episode, recently.
        This is the first time we see the Vorlons playing the role of "Parents": "You are not ready for immortality".
        Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Yeah I really like the Deathwalker stuff. Shame JMS isn't fond of it. He is okay with what is revealed correct? I mean he had to have some approval over it. He just must not be happy with how the end product turned out.
          Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            Yeah I really like the Deathwalker stuff. Shame JMS isn't fond of it. He is okay with what is revealed correct? I mean he had to have some approval over it. He just must not be happy with how the end product turned out.
            I don't recall him saying anything bad about it? Somebody refresh my memory? I know DiTillio was a little unhappy that the actress was covered so much with prosthetics and contacts.
            "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

I was just going off what Satai with Punsch originally said so I don't know what JMS' thoughts actually are. Somebody refresh her memory and tell me for the first time!!!!!
              Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

JMS didn’t say anything bad about this episode that I recall either. This was based on one of his original stories for season one. Lots of good Sinclair stuff and this was for me the first episode that really hooked me into the concept of B5 as a show that actually let the good guys lose; the Vorlons did what they want and Earth doesn’t get anything out of it.

Comment

Working...
                X