X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubik
    replied
    [QUOTE=alpha128;n154826]

IMO, "In The Beginning" is the only made for TNT movie that is worth owning/watching. When are you and L going to watch ItB? Between Seasons 4 and 5 as it aired?
    QUOTE]

Strongly agree! River as Souls holds up as a 'so bad it's good' unintentional comedy though. I laughed all the way through that one, at all the things that weren't meant to be funny. It's camps it up amazingly.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by alpha128 View Post

IMO, "In The Beginning" is the only made for TNT movie that is worth owning/watching. When are you and L going to watch ItB? Between Seasons 4 and 5 as it aired?

Good job on the updates, by the way...
    I believe your opinion is incorrect. LOL

IN THE BEGINNING is definitely the best of the TNT Movies, but all of them have some merit. RIVER OF SOULS is highly entertaining because it is so over the top. THIRDSPACE is decent and would be better with a few minor alterations. A CALL TO ARMS actually gets a little better each time I watch it. Definitely Ranked

IN THE BEGINNING
    A CALL TO ARMS
    THIRDSPACE
    RIVER OF SOULS

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    Thirdspace
    Since the viewing guide suggested around episode 8 was the best point to watch this movie, we looked at it today. Went to L's place to watch rather than mine, whihc may relate to her comments abot how it looked fuzzy or snowy, wiht the picture not very sharp, we watch on a playstation 3 which upscales dvds so as a reuly it may look better on my system than on a stanard tv. Overall L was not impressed Especially not happy wiht the whole "sherdian in a jt pack flying in to the artefact" type of thing. Oddly ebough no comments about Ivanova's ringlets though. So admiitted she might be tired but overll, not a great movie. We return you to your regulalry scheduled programming next week.

Good job on the updates, by the way...

Leave a comment:

• B5-Stefan
    replied
    Memo to self.
    Should more often look after the ol'days JMS posts.

First:
    http://jmsnews.com/messages/archive

Or at the Lurkers Guide
    The overview page:
    http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/reference/episodes.html

There the "Thirdspace"-link to the "jms speaks" section:
    http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/112.html#JS

B5-Stefan

--
    Delenn: "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift, politeness requires that we at least try and solve it."
    [Babylon5, Atonement]

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    WOOO HOOO Awesome answer. Just the perfect thing I wanted to hear.

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    This was a good post Joe wrote about why he did Thirdspace at the time:

Originally posted by jms
    Okay, you want an answer to this, I got an answer for you.

Because I felt like it.

Because I've done five years worth of angst and dark storytelling, and I wanted
    to do one story that was just for fun.

Because I'm a huge fan of the type of Cthulhu mythos stories done by H. P.
    Lovecraft and August Derleth and Clark Ashton Smith and Lord Dunsany, and all
    my life I wanted to just cut loose and do something like that.

Because I hadn't done a story like that for B5, and I want to try new things,
    experiment, do a funny story, a spooky story, a high-tech story.

And because a show needs to be shaken up once in a while.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Thirdspace
    Since the viewing guide suggested around episode 8 was the best point to watch this movie, we looked at it today. Went to L's place to watch rather than mine, whihc may relate to her comments abot how it looked fuzzy or snowy, wiht the picture not very sharp, we watch on a playstation 3 which upscales dvds so as a reuly it may look better on my system than on a stanard tv. Overall L was not impressed Especially not happy wiht the whole "sherdian in a jt pack flying in to the artefact" type of thing. Oddly ebough no comments about Ivanova's ringlets though. So admiitted she might be tired but overll, not a great movie. We return you to your regulalry scheduled programming next week.
    I actually like Thirdspace a lot. The two things about it that I don't care for are the a fore mentioned jetpack concept, though I think the scene looks AMAZING, and I wish it seemed a bit more tied to what was happening in the arc at the time. I really love most of the movie though. I will say that like RIVER OF SOULS I wish JMS had chosen more interesting stories to tell. The overall concepts of both movies just seem weak compared to ideas he could have explored, like ideas we all discuss we wish we had seen.

Am I correct in assumption that THIRDSPACE and RIVER OF SOULS likely got made because they were concepts JMS had ready to go versus stories he was dying to put in the B5 Universe? I mean the TNT deal came with TV movies so I kind of figured they were both ideas he had outlined and could finish up quickly versus other more arc related tales?

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    Thirdspace

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    into the fire
    Here we see the conclusion of the shadow war. Firstly humblest apologies to L. We watched these episodes last friday, october 11th and I'm only getting aroudn to writing this now. So It'll be horribly generic. I do (faintly) recall L commenting on the fact that ASheriden thanked delenn and complimented her on the allinace she had put together. No commetns surprisngly on th e"get the hell out of our Galaxy" quote or the sacrifice and casual deaths of so many off screen characters. She may have been wowed by the cgi spectacle (which holds up surprisingly well on my 110 projectro screen in 1080p, might be the ps3 upscaling it).
    WOW huge episode INTO THE FIRE, not a lot of commentary, but I understand it was well after the fact. I am glad the pretty pictures distracted her. LOL

Epiphanies
    L didn't seem to twig it was Lyta blocking bester in the confernce room though.
    EPIPHANIES, So L is losing interest, Kind of late in the game.

the illusion of truth
    Hated the accent on the reporter, said tri vid guy looks drugged, tortured and nit very voluntary. Most amused by garibaldi and the drazi statue. Suitably mistrustful of dan randall and said it looked like they were gonna cut and paste what they wanted. Many cynical puffs of breath , why is it called Helsinki and not Stockholm syndrome. Thought dr indira looked and talked like a crackpot Geneva not visible on the usn map, centred on north america . They're nit part of earth alliance, how can earth alliance pay the Bills. Many statements of oh God and oh no. Showing 9 of them and he said 20 or 30. How did Dan know they were humans in cryo? Delenn is the one who became more human. Called Dr Indira the professor on xenophobia story has more holes than a swiss cheese. People are lapping it up like they lap up certain red furred animal branded nees today. After the broadcast surprised nothing was broken and said sheridan looked more angry than sad
    Yes I like this episode, but I think AND NOW FOR A WORD 2.15 is better. I do like Dan Randall has a heel though. LOL

Atonement

Just really appreciate the joke / irony / juxtaposition or whatever you wanna call it of first declaring she is Delenn of Peace (Mir, don't think we have been.told that before?) and the next scene we not only see war but her starting it too. That was a clever detail.
    How about Delenn of Peace & War!

Leave a comment:

• babylonlurker
    replied
    edit, pasting by request
    Just really appreciate the joke / irony / juxtaposition or whatever you wanna call it of first declaring she is Delenn of Peace (Mir, don't think we have been.told that before?) and the next scene we not only see war but her starting it too. That was a clever detail.
    A very astute observation. I should have picked it up immediately, myself, but didn't.
    Bear in mind, though, that mir also means "world", and that makes it even more interesting.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    the illusion of truth
    Hated the accent on the reporter, said tri vid guy looks drugged, tortured and nit very voluntary. Most amused by garibaldi and the drazi statue. Suitably mistrustful of dan randall and said it looked like they were gonna cut and paste what they wanted. Many cynical puffs of breath , why is it called Helsinki and not Stockholm syndrome. Thought dr indira looked and talked like a crackpot Geneva not visible on the usn map, centred on north america . They're nit part of earth alliance, how can earth alliance pay the Bills. Many statements of oh God and oh no. Showing 9 of them and he said 20 or 30. How did Dan know they were humans in cryo? Delenn is the one who became more human. Called Dr Indira the professor on xenophobia story has more holes than a swiss cheese. People are lapping it up like they lap up certain red furred animal branded nees today. After the broadcast surprised nothing was broken and said sheridan looked more angry than sad

Atonement
    his old uniform did not fit him properly , the new one looks better. More minardi weirdness what's going on with him we watched, upon L request, the credits again. Wrong colour eye. Interested in the eye working outside of him looks like ivanova had a wild night. Condescending and smug clan spokesperson. When she has the minbari gowns on she doesnt look like she has much breasts, but with the human thing she suddenly had them she thought Duhkat looked like lineer with a beard . Saw war opening, said it wasn't very peaceful. Shes at the side if the circle, not in the middle. She thought delenn looked even younger . The triangles are very important to them. Expressed shock, that wasn't pretty Delenn. The gun ports thing came up again. Oh God holy wars , other incoherent words. So she is human. Said leineer was becoming markus when he beat up the grey council security. Thinks the offering of delenn shows calenn tombs a racial bigot. Called it bullshit. Gilbert and Sullivan song amused her
    edit, pasting by request
    Last edited by phazedout; 10-16-2019, 01:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    into the fire
    Here we see the conclusion of the shadow war. Firstly humblest apologies to L. We watched these episodes last friday, october 11th and I'm only getting aroudn to writing this now. So It'll be horribly generic. I do (faintly) recall L commenting on the fact that ASheriden thanked delenn and complimented her on the allinace she had put together. No commetns surprisngly on th e"get the hell out of our Galaxy" quote or the sacrifice and casual deaths of so many off screen characters. She may have been wowed by the cgi spectacle (which holds up surprisingly well on my 110 projectro screen in 1080p, might be the ps3 upscaling it).
    Epiphanies
    Weird thing to notice but both L and me spotted that, despite being in the ffar flung future Lyta clearly shops in ... IKEA. The bags are very cel;arly IKEA brand as L said "Look at the handles". You gotta undersand here many people use the ubiquotous blue bags for carrying laundry. Once again we see bester, some laughter at sheriden's line about "nailing head to table but the unverse prepares us for dsiappointment". L didn't seem to twig it was Lyta blocking bester in the confernce room though.
    Once again sorry, we will hopefully be watching the next tow episodes tomorrow eveign and I promise to post right aaway.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    I HATED the "You're not a married man, are you,
    Ericsson?" part. As if he were the only member of his crew who mattered?!? Yes, I know it was to drill into the audience that this was a suicide mission but still...
    Very much agreed.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    So I assume L had nothing to add. You are correct that it is a powerful moment when Ericsson is sacrificed. I love that JMS included that aspect into the series arc. The only weak aspect of this moment is that Ericsson wasn't a significant character so we didn't heightened emotional impact that would have come had it been someone like Ivanova or even a character that had been in more than one episode.
    I LOVED that Sheridan made sure that all of the other ambassadors were present to see him doing what needed to be done. I HATED the "You're not a married man, are you,
    Ericsson?" part. As if he were the only member of his crew who mattered?!? Yes, I know it was to drill into the audience that this was a suicide mission but still...

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    falling towards apotheosis
    hige arcy stuff here. Few enough comments from L, she did note how Ivanova looked and during the final battle with the vorlon and all the flashing lightning sutff she had to look away for fear of getting a migriane (to clarify we watch this on my home system, a benq 1080p projector on to a 110" screen, with a dolby digital 5.1 system, upscaled dvd from playstation 3 via hdmi). She did speculate before lyta led the vorlon to his death that she wasn't carrying any of him. She also noted that teh ship was both living and part of the vorlon before it every became obvious from the stuff on screen. Going to the other "A" arc (there are no B arcs here) she predicted cartagia plucking out g'kar's eye.although she didn't say anything about it closing the circle opened in war without end, she did wonder if it was significant, i replied that "in this show, everything is signifcant". Oh andi just remembered she spotted g'kar was goign to break the chains and that Vir would be the one to kill cartagia
    Firstly, from what I have gathered from previous posts you tend to move around often. How do you take your "home system" with you?

How were there few comments for this one? I guess L was captivated. A bit sorry she was able to predict what would happen and wasn't surprised.

The Long night
    Stayed fairly quiet in this episode, did note in the war room the lack of female characters, delenn aside. I pointed out it wouldn't be obviousthe gneder of some of the alien races. I also indicated brian Cranston as the tragically sarificing erriccson. I've always felt that was a powerful moment showing the cost of war and havign to ask people to die for you. Not much else was said fot this episode, i may edit the post later after L sees it and add some things.
    So I assume L had nothing to add. You are correct that it is a powerful moment when Ericsson is sacrificed. I love that JMS included that aspect into the series arc. The only weak aspect of this moment is that Ericsson wasn't a significant character so we didn't heightened emotional impact that would have come had it been someone like Ivanova or even a character that had been in more than one episode.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X