Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phazedout
    replied
    So i'm writing this late sunday evenign when we watched the episodes on tuesday, ergo my recall is somewhat spotty. I'll do my best and L did help me out earlier
    Moments of transition
    Much amusement at bester interactions with Zach. I always enjoyed the humor that both JMS and Walter put in to the character, it makes his unspeakably evil acts all the more contrasted. Bester is, amazingly the "B" arc, perhaps this episode is a double A side? Poor lyta. L did note that Zach seemed very familiar with Lyta, hand on shoulder etc. She felt that neroon ws manipulated in to this by Delenn and this was clever/ L doesn't like delenn, she has expressed this sentiment a few times. She thought that bester might do things to accelerate the obtaining of Lyta's body. She also comented tht although we have seen mention of the three castes this is the first time the workers have come to the forefront. She commented extensively on the warriors being just as bad as the religious caste in terms of fanaticism just tow sides of the same coin.
    No surrender No Retreat
    I'm rather more scattered on this. L was happy to see female captains on the destroyers but also commented that in terms of sheer size and potential heavyweight punch, they appear to outclass the white stars. She also didn't initially see the white star impact the docking bay on the pollox and destroying it and seemed to recognise the actor playing the captain of the heracles and battle group commander. There were some comments about the naming of the ships in terms of greek or roman references. L also liked the londog;kar interaciton, both in g'kars quarters and later on in the bar. especially the "on a different page". I asked her if she noticed how much darker Lonod's wardrobe is now. the following is a direct quote
    Originally posted by L
    I kinda like G'kar .. which.. I think everyone knows, but if asked for a favourite character.. would be Ivanova.. G'kar as second, maybe tied with Marcus.
    . Finally when the creits came up and this is my favourite aspect of L's growing involvement with the show she said, in a quiet voice "oh, it ended". So drawn in she was sad it stopped.

On a side note we've been watching the trailer , which are as a rule hilariously awful, especially the overblown voiceover. But therese two seemed almost relevant.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    CONFLICT OF INTEREST is most interesting to me when Garibaldi doesn't answer the call. On the whole not one of my favorite episodes, but very solid

Surprised there wasn't much commentary on RUMOURS, BARGAINS, AND LIES. Sheridan's move is so brilliant. And I just love Neroon. I wish he was in more total episodes.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    aaaaand we're back, L was over ay mine yesterday watching Dr Who and Her dark materials so i suggested i coud pop in with season 4 to hers today
    Conflict of interest
    L liked that Garibaldi got a hug, they're not very touchy feely so it's nice, less nice was the shadowy figures comments upon his disposability. She also noted we haven't seen Londo in a while (we do see him next episode though so there's that). Commented several times that zach said they worked 24/7 for 3 years and seh wondered did they never sleep. Since the setup for "voice of the resistance" she noted Mrs Tachyon from The Terry PRatchett Johnny books. When Garibaldi had to give up his gun she noted how similar to modern guns the were. Also said that Zach hadn't appeared to be that close to Garibaldi. Minimal commentery re Lise though apart from "3 times youve broken my heart"

Rumors bargains and lies
    Much less commentary on this episode, more general discussion between us (and I took rather poorer notes) L did enjoy the humour in both the scene with Sheridan winding up the league of non aligned worlds and the conversation between Ivanova and a zathras (one of the zathri perhaps? what's the plural of zathras). ths counterpointed nicely with the darker tone set for the mission Delenn was on, negotiations with Neroon and the attempted poisoning. There were also comments on the expressions on the faces of the religious cast when Leineer was explaining how he came across the canister. finally L was wondering if neroon had betrayed Delenn after all. Oh and we did get to see both Londo "and G'kar as well" so happier L.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    L is sick at the moment looney we'll get to it when we can.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Holidays are over. When is the next viewing?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Afraid I have to ascribe this to L looking for what she expects to see. There's simply no indication that he was acting on his own because Number One was female. If anything, he seemed to be accusing her of misandry because they'd been lovers in the past. He was following 'Donovan's' guidance because they're both Earthers. Nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    In what way? Can you get clarification on this? It seems to be a bit of a 'thing' with L and I don't understand. What, specifically was misogynist about either?

Thanks.
    I asked L this is her reply to me verbatim
    As a response Franklin's chuckle seemed belittling to me. Misogyny might have been a bit strong a word (from you maybe, although I might have introduced the word to the conversation). It just has the ring of disrespect. And likewise felt like part of the reason the guy was acting on his own and blowing things up ignoring chain of command was that he reported to a woman.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    She considered the guy who caused the explosion to be a mysgonist arsehole, felt Markus's comment was Ok but Franklins chuckle was also a tad on the mysogany side.
    In what way? Can you get clarification on this? It seems to be a bit of a 'thing' with L and I don't understand. What, specifically was misogynist about either?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jan; 12-21-2019, 05:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• phazedout
    replied
    it's been a few weeks so we resumed with episodes 10 and 11 of season 4
    Racing Mars
    L Wondered why the remote control with sheridan for the tv, sureley it would be voice control. In relation to the confrontation with Garibaldi She thought it was Not too smart to air it publicly. Quite an audience there. No public shouting match. She seemed to enjoy the captain Jack humour aspect as well as Ivavnova with the smugglers and Markus and Stephen as a married couple
    L happy she guessed the right number of rituals in the interactions between Delenn and Sheridan, also sunsqeuntly amused by Lenierr's quiet "wohoo?"
    That comm device doesn't look handy at all - she feels the size of it dates the show terrible. She did point out that the Minbari watchers were not in the same room

Lines of communication
    L asked do Do kids these days understand the winding of a watch, also felt that the explosion in the Red Planet hotel was very convenient. She considered the guy who caused the explosion to be a mysgonist arsehole, felt Markus's comment was Ok but Franklins chuckle was also a tad on the mysogany side. When we saw "voice of the resistance" I pointed out my tattoo hanging as a banner and she commented it was a propoganda machine. She felt Forell seemed very smug and observed it appropriate he ended up getting hit in the head by debris. She correctly guessed the Drakh home world was zha ha'dum. Quite strongly questioned why the white stars were suddenly in a position to fight back after escaping to hyperspace when they couldn't do so before. She also wondered what was going oon with Mr Garibaldi, he didn't seem to be acting like himself.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    I believe I am older and wiser . . . VICTORY!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    Originally posted by alpha128 View Post
    IMO, "In The Beginning" is the only made for TNT movie that is worth owning/watching.
    Originally posted by Looney View Post
    I believe your opinion is incorrect. LOL
    Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    Strongly agree!
    Ubik and I agree, so that means two-third majority and the opinion is correct!

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied

IMO, "In The Beginning" is the only made for TNT movie that is worth owning/watching. When are you and L going to watch ItB? Between Seasons 4 and 5 as it aired?
    Strongly agree! River as Souls holds up as a 'so bad it's good' unintentional comedy though. I laughed all the way through that one, at all the things that weren't meant to be funny. It camps it up amazingly.
    Last edited by Ubik; 11-25-2019, 07:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied

IMO, "In The Beginning" is the only made for TNT movie that is worth owning/watching. When are you and L going to watch ItB? Between Seasons 4 and 5 as it aired?

Good job on the updates, by the way...
    I believe your opinion is incorrect. LOL

IN THE BEGINNING is definitely the best of the TNT Movies, but all of them have some merit. RIVER OF SOULS is highly entertaining because it is so over the top. THIRDSPACE is decent and would be better with a few minor alterations. A CALL TO ARMS actually gets a little better each time I watch it. Definitely Ranked

IN THE BEGINNING
    A CALL TO ARMS
    THIRDSPACE
    RIVER OF SOULS

Leave a comment:

• alpha128
    replied
    Originally posted by phazedout View Post
    Thirdspace
    Since the viewing guide suggested around episode 8 was the best point to watch this movie, we looked at it today. Went to L's place to watch rather than mine, whihc may relate to her comments abot how it looked fuzzy or snowy, wiht the picture not very sharp, we watch on a playstation 3 which upscales dvds so as a reuly it may look better on my system than on a stanard tv. Overall L was not impressed Especially not happy wiht the whole "sherdian in a jt pack flying in to the artefact" type of thing. Oddly ebough no comments about Ivanova's ringlets though. So admiitted she might be tired but overll, not a great movie. We return you to your regulalry scheduled programming next week.

Good job on the updates, by the way...

Leave a comment:

• B5-Stefan
    replied
    Memo to self.
    Should more often look after the ol'days JMS posts.

First:
    http://jmsnews.com/messages/archive

Or at the Lurkers Guide
    The overview page:
    http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/reference/episodes.html

There the "Thirdspace"-link to the "jms speaks" section:
    http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/112.html#JS

B5-Stefan

--
    Delenn: "If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift, politeness requires that we at least try and solve it."
    [Babylon5, Atonement]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X