Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibility of new Babylon 5 on a Streaming Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibility of new Babylon 5 on a Streaming Service?

Hello,

I was wondering if we could hope that B5 will be revived thanks to a streaming service?
    We heard rumors of new Farscape - I hope the Dark Crystall Series does well and makes more Farscape a possibility!

So with all the new Star Trek shows and Star Wars shows and so on - I hope B5 will not miss out!
    My UHD, Blu-Ray and DVD Collection

We can cross our fingers, but I don't know how interested JMS is in a new series. From past discussions it sounds like he is only interested in a feature film. But what do I know?! The only thing I will point out is that those STAR TREK and STAR WARS series are continuations of the whole, so I'm not sure we'll ever see that with B5. I want to see that, but I don't think WB is willing to work with JMS to make a worthwhile continuation series, if their willing to work with him at all. Or should I say if HE is willing to work with them at all. It is getting ridiculous how many Series continue to get new life while B5 sits. I will admit I am a little surprised a Stargate reprise has stalled. I know they have ORIGINS, but has anyone seen it? Where is it easily accessed? Is it worthwhile?

And as a side note: Farscape, seriously?! There is so much I loved about that show, but ultimately it was not a well handled show. It ended up being A LOT of wasted potential for me. How can there seriously be a reboot of Farscape before B5?!?!?!?!?!
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      We can cross our fingers, but I don't know how interested JMS is in a new series. From past discussions it sounds like he is only interested in a feature film.
      He is interested, he just doesn't think WB will make it happen. Interview published a month ago: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/babylo...ory-of-his-own

Any chance of returning to the world of Babylon 5?

I would be very open to that. If the SYFY channel or CW want to revive that one as a series or try to get a feature going, I'd be more than happy to do that.

The problem is that Babylon 5, like Time Trax, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, and a couple other series that were launched on the PTEN network back in the '90s, were not part of the usual Warner Bros. structure. Those who normally look after the process of development were not directly involved in it as much as they'd like to have been. Therefore, when that network went down, certain individuals at Warner [Bros.] decided those shows don't exist. And that's why you don't see Time Trax or Kung Fu in syndication.

It took an act of god to get Babylon 5 onto Amazon and other places. And they made it clear we had no plans to do anything with Babylon 5, ever.

Who made it clear? Who is "they?"

I could say the name, but if I do, I'd get in trouble... I hear constantly from people saying that there's interest in seeing more of the show. It's just that there's a dragon in front of the gate who eventually either has to retire or pass away.
      My posts are my own opinion and do not represent JMSNews.com's opinions or views. As it's written under my handle I'm "just a fan".

Comment

We can cross our fingers, but I don't know how interested JMS is in a new series. From past discussions it sounds like he is only interested in a feature film. But what do I know?!
        What JMS might be interested in and what he can do are very different things. Don't expect him to constantly post that he wishes that were different.

Last edited by Jan; 08-25-2019, 06:19 PM.
        "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Well yeah he can't go to series without WB. I want the name sense8ional mentioned. I'm certain I could change their mind. Looney is VERY convincing.

Comment

And as a side note: Farscape, seriously?! There is so much I loved about that show, but ultimately it was not a well handled show. It ended up being A LOT of wasted potential for me. How can there seriously be a reboot of Farscape before B5?!?!?!?!?!
            Yeah seriously - and I love "Farscape" it comes directly and closely after B5 for me.
            How much did you watch?
            My UHD, Blu-Ray and DVD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post

Yeah seriously - and I love "Farscape" it comes directly and closely after B5 for me.
              How much did you watch?
              All of it, lent the 4 seasons to a friend following a break up , then sat her down and showeed her peacekeeper wars.
              If you are curious, yes, it's L.
              "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Originally posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post

How much did you watch?
                All of it. Farscape was very entertaining, but lacked an overall vision. It tried to give the impression it had an overall vision, but like most they were making it up as they went after Season One. It suffered from what many SciFi shows are afflicted with - the desire to do SciFi Fantasy. Every show has it, even B5. The difference is B5 usually did a decent job figuring it into to the overall plot - Farscape not so much. You know what that desire is. You've seen it in EVERY Science Fiction show. It is the desire to squeeze in as much Science Fiction Fantasy as possible because you think you have a completely open palate to do what you want and that it is what viewers want to see. Well not this viewer. You have a show about a living spaceship full of fugitives and a person who's there by accident and all these menacing threats. You have them trying figure out what to do, but then you figure in time travel and body swapping and all kinds "SciFi Fantasy" stories that don't have anything to do with their situation. They might make for an entertaining TV episodes, but the show would be better if it had just been more focused on a story about their situation - instead of coming up with different weird things that could happen every week. Farscape would have been better if they'd had a more cohesive overall plot from the beginning, aka if JMS had the idea first. LOL

Comment

All of it. Farscape was very entertaining, but lacked an overall vision. It tried to give the impression it had an overall vision, but like most they were making it up as they went after Season One. It suffered from what many SciFi shows are afflicted with - the desire to do SciFi Fantasy. Every show has it, even B5. The difference is B5 usually did a decent job figuring it into to the overall plot - Farscape not so much. You know what that desire is. You've seen it in EVERY Science Fiction show. It is the desire to squeeze in as much Science Fiction Fantasy as possible because you think you have a completely open palate to do what you want and that it is what viewers want to see. Well not this viewer. You have a show about a living spaceship full of fugitives and a person who's there by accident and all these menacing threats. You have them trying figure out what to do, but then you figure in time travel and body swapping and all kinds "SciFi Fantasy" stories that don't have anything to do with their situation. They might make for an entertaining TV episodes, but the show would be better if it had just been more focused on a story about their situation - instead of coming up with different weird things that could happen every week. Farscape would have been better if they'd had a more cohesive overall plot from the beginning, aka if JMS had the idea first. LOL
                  Potentially so, but I kinda loved the zany episode of the week plots. The body swap one was amazing. Wasn't there some kind of confirmation or rumour there might be more Farscape coming? it was a good show, had its own vibe entirely. It had a good run.
                  Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

There is indeed talk of a Farscape continuation: https://www.tor.com/2019/07/18/farsc...vival-options/
                    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

I would most certainly like to see some kind of project in the Babylon 5 Universe. However, it would likely be a miracle and a half for it to happen. If I remember correctly Warner Bros. was interested in doing more of the Lost Tales DVD's and JMS said no because he only wanted to do something on a larger scale with the Babylon 5 Universe such a Motion Picture.

The Babylon 5 Universe is a vast Universe to play in, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up for it to happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X