Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were going to watch a Babylon 5 review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were going to watch a Babylon 5 review?

If you were going to watch a review of every episode of Babylon 5 on YouTube what running time would be best? (Think in terms of the running time that would inspire you to come back for every review versus the running time that would keep you from watching even the first episode.)
    1 to 5 minutes?
    0%
    6 to 15 minutes?
    66.67%
    20+ minutes?
    33.33%
    Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

I'd go with 6-15 minutes. SF Debris' Babylon 5 Reviews usually run about 15 minutes and that seems to be a good length.

Comment

Most content creators seem to aim for 10 mins or so, I think 15 mins might be optimum to have any kind of in depth discussion.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
        Most content creators seem to aim for 10 mins or so, I think 15 mins might be optimum to have any kind of in depth discussion.
        And if it wasn't really an "in depth" discussion but more of a new viewers opinion? I am thinking of KATIE WATCHES BABYLON 5. She did longer videos, but they usually covered multiple episodes. Wouldn't 6-15 mins of one person's opinion on every episode get old quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
          Wouldn't 6-15 mins of one person's opinion on every episode get old quickly?
          It depends. Is the review going to recap the plot of the episode at all? That's part of the reason why SF Debris' Babylon 5 Reviews run about 15 minutes - the reviewer gives a pretty detailed summary of the episode's events. It's necessary to provide context, so he's not just saying, "I loved the scene with Garibaldi."

Comment

Yeah, you need some kind of red thread or mandate in terms of how you approach it. Is it for newcomers / fans, etc. Do you want to honour it? Jokingly take the piss out of it? Point out interesting pieces of lore / production history for harcore fans, etc

Comment

Straight up reaction. It would be a new persons reaction to it with as few spoilers as possible. Or maybe reaction then a section of spoilers and discussion. I guess the point of the exercise was mostly directed at length. I see so many movie and TV show review videos on YouTube by VERY successful Content Creators and I wonder how they do it because as soon as I see the length of some of their videos I instantly lose interest. I just don't see myself sitting there watching them talk for twenty five plus minutes, but somehow they get millions of views.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                I see so many movie and TV show review videos on YouTube by VERY successful Content Creators and I wonder how they do it because as soon as I see the length of some of their videos I instantly lose interest. I just don't see myself sitting there watching them talk for twenty five plus minutes, but somehow they get millions of views.
                I know what you mean. There's one YouTube creator who goes by "Lorerunner" who's Babylon 5 videos are way too long IMO. Some of his videos are almost as long as the episodes themselves. I've never gotten all the way through even one of his videos.

Comment

Another consideration is that you have a voice that's got a nice timbre and is pleasant to listen too. The amount of badly paced, nasal, awful videos I see in 'nerd culture' YouTube content is high, and half the time I have to turn the video off after 5 mins because the commentator is so annoying. This happens a lot with gaming reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
                    Another consideration is that you have a voice that's got a nice timbre and is pleasant to listen too. The amount of badly paced, nasal, awful videos I see in 'nerd culture' YouTube content is high, and half the time I have to turn the video off after 5 mins because the commentator is so annoying. This happens a lot with gaming reviews.
                    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I hadn't even considered having to hire talent.

Comment

Yes, having a pleasant voice is important. I love Honest Trailers cos the guy's voice is awesome, but I don't watch anything else on their channel cos everyone else is annoying. I also love this one Kiwi guy who does a lot of Airbender and Lord of the rings videos because of his voice and his professionalness. I haven't found anyone doing B5 yet that I like. If I like you then your vid can be as long as possible, but if you're boring or have an awful voice then I would't watch 2 minutes. If you have trouble watching review vids its not the length, it's the reviewer doing a poor job of catching your interest.

Comment

OMG SOOO MUCH PRESSURE!!!!!!

Yes I've always taken voice work into consideration, but I must admit I am surprise you all basically went straight to it. I have definitely found YouTubers who I can tell would not likely be as successful if they didn't have pleasant voices.

Comment

Reviving this because I would like to get some more votes. ‚Äč .............SO last night I was trying to watch some decent B5 videos on YouTube. Call me a SNOB, but WOW did I not find anything that didn't annoy me. I REALLY don't get videos where people just summarize the entire plot of an episode or the series - "I WATCHED IT AND NOW I CAN TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED." Why do people think it is okay to spoil plots?! That is such a weird ego trip. I will spoil plots, but only when I know the product is bad and if the person is asking me for spoilers.

The second biggest thing that annoys me is people who act like they know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING BABYLON 5, but then can't even pronounce things correctly. This often happened with KATIE WATCHES BABYLON 5, but I don't fault her because her videos were not claiming any sort of expertise on Babylon 5. It was just her giving a rough and raw review of what she saw. If you are going to make a video about a show where you are breaking down different characters or aspects of the show then you damn well better know how things were pronounced in the show!!!!!! Yes there were things that received different pronunciations, but I'm pretty sure that was only early on and as the show progressed pronunciations were pretty much locked in.

And here is another annoying thing. People who tell me facts about the show that I question the origin of - for instance videos about ships on Babylon 5. There are other videos, but "Ship" videos are a good example of, "WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET YOUR FACTS BECAUSE I CERTAINLY NEVER HEARD THAT MENTIONED IN THE SERIES?" I assume these are facts based on CCG games and the like and are not Canon to the series, but the videos certainly act like they are. If I am wrong and JMS approved these stated statistics and histories of the Ships of Babylon 5 I would be thrilled, but it seems there have been some inconsistencies in some of the videos I've watched when discussing the same type of ship, so I don't trust this information.

AND again, WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE MENTION SPOILERS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I know I already said that but the only time you should EVER spoil anything is if you already know the spoiler you are revealing is sooo minor it doesn't really give anything away about the series. Sorry to rant, but it really annoys me that I see a video title that interests me and then the video just annoys me. (YES I already hear Jan's voice in my head saying, "Shut up and make your own video.")

ANYWAY, if anyone knows some decent B5 related YouTube content please feel free to share it. LOL

Comment

There used to be a really great B5 podcast that interviewed a lot of the people involved with the show. I had every episode on my ipod and then one day they all disappeared before I could listen to very many of them. I think it was called The Babbleon Podcast? It was professional with good sound and content.

Other than that I enjoyed the "Babylon 5 Revisited project". It was a really ambitious idea to try and use the show as a therapeutic device. And it involved a few very thoughtful in-depth essays about Babylon 5. She only did the first 3 episodes, although she did ep 1 and 2, twice. I really wanted to watch Jennie view the entire series, but she wasn't really into SciFi and was just too busy with life, I guess. But I enjoyed the thought she did offer. I would love a whole series of something like this, one day. There are a lot of very good deep-dive essay stuff about other franchises like Trek and Wars, but not really for our beloved B5. That's the sort of thing I'm interested in. These do include spoilers, by necessity, but I lurve this kind of thing that really makes me think about the show and see it in a new light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW0aR9RHrZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCzJLTlb4DU&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlNMS1CYAgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI3eYkQG--w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj9Q9lW3bx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeyqQE59t-Q

Comment

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
                              There used to be a really great B5 podcast that interviewed a lot of the people involved with the show. I had every episode on my ipod and then one day they all disappeared before I could listen to very many of them. I think it was called The Babbleon Podcast? It was professional with good sound and content.

Other than that I enjoyed the "Babylon 5 Revisited project". It was a really ambitious idea to try and use the show as a therapeutic device. And it involved a few very thoughtful in-depth essays about Babylon 5. She only did the first 3 episodes, although she did ep 1 and 2, twice. I really wanted to watch Jennie view the entire series, but she wasn't really into SciFi and was just too busy with life, I guess. But I enjoyed the thought she did offer. I would love a whole series of something like this, one day. There are a lot of very good deep-dive essay stuff about other franchises like Trek and Wars, but not really for our beloved B5. That's the sort of thing I'm interested in. These do include spoilers, by necessity, but I lurve this kind of thing that really makes me think about the show and see it in a new light.
                              Well that started off well, but then not so much. The first two videos were great, but then a 40+mins video where she mostly talked about her own journey and rarely mentioned B5 definitely lost me. I tried to get through them all, but like you mentioned they didn't last and after seeing the rest of the videos were not going to be like the first two I lost interest in sitting through them. What a shame. They started off so great. I would say the creators of the channel should have kept it going themselves, but it looks like their channel didn't last since they don't appear to have posted anything for 4 years. Thanks for the heads up though. I REALLY enjoyed those first two videos.

Comment

Working...
                              X