Matters of Honour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matters of Honour

Just leave this here. Any questions, ask away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDwPoisC6M
    Last edited by Triple F; 07-04-2019, 04:22 PM.

This is quite the feat, and clearly a lot of care and attention (not to mention hard work) went into rendering these out at higher res. Superb!

Now we just need some film editing buff to cut them into the episode with Final Cut Pro or the like. Probably not all that hard.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Superb indeed!

B5-Stefan, wants B5 BluRay!

--
      Stephen Hawking: "Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.
      Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist."

Comment

Wish I could say it was easy as loading up the files and simply rendering them out. Never thought about it before but CGI at 720x486 is almost like the makeup used in early film. . . Worked great at the time, but when you get a closer look with hi-definition some things just need to be tweaked. . . It's one of the reasons the textures look a bit blocky at times - you're seeing them way more closely (and sharper) than the original intention. . . So like early makeup, subtle details were largely a waste of time and almost overstating things was what was needed.

It's been an interesting learning curve (and not finished yet), and I have a greater appreciation of the ingenuity and brilliance of some of the techniques they developed to get the CGI out. . . I'm trying to avoid doing it as much as possible, but when things do have to be changed or replaced hopefully the new models and textures don't clash too much with the originals. Could easily "update" things - like the new Epsilon 3 texture can be set to be a LOT crisper - but it's a path I don't want to wander down - creating a higher res map was so it didn't look silly at 1080 was about as far as a I wanted to take it. . . .The idea is to show the revolutionary CGI that basically helped change the industry, rather than showing what can be done now with newer toys.
        Last edited by Triple F; 07-05-2019, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
          Wish I could say it was easy as loading up the files and simply rendering them out. Never thought about it before but CGI at 720x486 is almost like the makeup used in early film. . . Worked great at the time, but when you get a closer look with hi-definition some things just need to be tweaked. . . It's one of the reasons the textures look a bit blocky at times - you're seeing them way more closely (and sharper) than the original intention. . . So like early makeup, subtle details were largely a waste of time and almost overstating things was what was needed.

It's been an interesting learning curve (and not finished yet), and I have a greater appreciation of the ingenuity and brilliance of some of the techniques they developed to get the CGI out. . . I'm trying to avoid doing it as much as possible, but when things do have to be changed or replaced hopefully the new models and textures don't clash too much with the originals. Could easily "update" things - like the new Epsilon 3 texture can be set to be a LOT crisper - but it's a path I don't want to wander down - creating a higher res map was so it didn't look silly at 1080 was about as far as a I wanted to take it. . . .The idea is to show the revolutionary CGI that basically helped change the industry, rather than showing what can be done now with newer toys.
          I think it's cool you are resisting the urge to revise and are instead really just showing off how good (and indeed groundbreaking) the original work was.
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Well I think it is fantastic.
            Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

Working...
            X