Fed Con 2019 Babylon 5 Panel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed Con 2019 Babylon 5 Panel

I'm just posting the link to a video that I stumbled across yesterday with Bruce Boxleitner and Mira Furlan taking questions from the audience in case anyone missed this. Personally I thought it was quite interesting to hear Bruce's take on whether or not more Babylon 5 would be produced in the future, even if it were some kind of re-boot of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyp62JpFQJk
    Last edited by Truth66; 06-24-2019, 04:31 PM.

Cheers, this is cool.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Oh thank you so much. Can't wait to watch this when I have time.
      Susan Ivanova, "I'll be in the car."

Comment

I was there for about half of the panel (scheduling conflict). It was good. Bruce's single panels was good, Mira's was a blast.
        Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
          Bruce's single panels was good, Mira's was a blast.
          Was anyone shooting video of those panels?

Comment

Just finished. That was really good. There were actually some good questions. I'll never understand why people go to a panel like that and sit toward the back.

Comment

At Fedcon the seating is a matter of price, some can afford seats near the stage, some cannot, or will not, pay for that privilege.
              Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
                At Fedcon the seating is a matter of price, some can afford seats near the stage, some cannot, or will not, pay for that privilege.
                AH, I didn't know fans had to pay to attend. Was that on top of an admission to FedCon fee? If so I am glad I've never thought about attending. If you pay for a ticket all panels should be free to attend. I wish I could say that Cons have gotten too greedy, but the truth is everyone has gotten too greedy. I remember twenty years ago I went to a Star Trek Convention in St. Louis. The feature guests were The Fab Four, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, James Doohan, and George Takei. I'm not joking when I tell you I am pretty sure the admission was $10 and that got you into all events and the autograph of ALL four main guest. Now my memory might be failing me on that price, but I am pretty sure that was the price. It certainly wasn't more than $20 because I likely would not have paid that being broke and about to move to California literally the next day. Damn that was twenty years ago!

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post
                Personally I thought it was quite interesting to hear Bruce's take on whether or not more Babylon 5 would be produced in the future, even if it were some kind of re-boot of the series.
                Yes that might have been the pinnacle of the panel, though I enjoyed hearing most of what they both had to say. I can't say I disagree with Boxleitner, but that doesn't mean I don't want more Babylon 5. I've always said my lowest wish would be a full on re-imagined reboot, but I definitely see no reason there couldn't be a continuation reboot that focuses on other characters in the Universe during any time of the series arc. There is no reason the surviving cast couldn't make guest appearances as themselves at later stages in the arc prior to SLEEPING IN LIGHT. I'd certainly love to see that. I mean honestly that might be a series reboot that works. JMS built a big sandbox to play in.

If we are being honest I know he was right about capturing lightning in a bottle once and then trying to do it again with spin-offs, but I think there were a lot more factors when it came to the spin-offs than team chemistry. I mean there is no way they could have predicted how CRUSADE would be mishandled and so on.
                Last edited by Looney; 06-26-2019, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post

AH, I didn't know fans had to pay to attend. Was that on top of an admission to FedCon fee? If so I am glad I've never thought about attending. If you pay for a ticket all panels should be free to attend. I wish I could say that Cons have gotten too greedy, but the truth is everyone has gotten too greedy. I remember twenty years ago I went to a Star Trek Convention in St. Louis. The feature guests were The Fab Four, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, James Doohan, and George Takei. I'm not joking when I tell you I am pretty sure the admission was $10 and that got you into all events and the autograph of ALL four main guest. Now my memory might be failing me on that price, but I am pretty sure that was the price. It certainly wasn't more than $20 because I likely would not have paid that being broke and about to move to California literally the next day. Damn that was twenty years ago!

Ah, well, a lot has changed in 20 years. The tickets are graded at Fedcon. The most expensive one includes guaranteed first row and all autographs+ photos of all guests. Much too expensive for me.
                  Second All guests (photo or autograph), plus guaranteed access to 5-7 of the next rows.
                  The third one is a week end ticket - just preferred seats after about row 7 Autographs extra
                  Otherwise all three gives access to panels, Q&As etc.
                  the day tickets no guarantee of getting a seat.
                  A day ticket is no guarantee of getting in to panels etc if the hall is full.

But yes, prices have gone up a lot, then again Fedcon has about 20 guests who must get their stay etc payed. It is very well organized, and people are very friendly.

Apart from Bruce and Mira, the highlight this year was having the people from the European Space Agency there, with a stand, and giving presentations.
                  Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

A lot of cons have that kind of tiered pricing now and I can see why it might be attractive for many folks if the con is panel-heavy. I'm generally perfectly happy 'seat-surfing' in order to get my preferred seat (aisle, near the microphone where guests ask questions if there is one). The big drawback to that is if they clear rooms in between panels.
                    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

JMS built a big sandbox to play in.

If we are being honest I know he was right about capturing lightning in a bottle once and then trying to do it again with spin-offs, but I think there were a lot more factors when it came to the spin-offs than team chemistry. I mean there is no way they could have predicted how CRUSADE would be mishandled and so on.
                      I completely agree that JMS built a huge sandbox to play in. The Baylon 5 Universe, as with the Star Trek Universe, Star Wars, etc is vast. I remember an interview with Gene Roddenbery where he indicated that the basis of Star Trek is the galaxy and that there were plenty of stories to tell out there. Obviously Babylon 5 is the same.

Personally I think there could be some kind of series done in the Babylon 5 Universe that wouldn't involve a proverbial re-boot with the occaisional guest star appearances from the original cast. Yet that's my own two cents worth (lol).

Comment

Originally posted by Truth66 View Post

Personally I think there could be some kind of series done in the Babylon 5 Universe that wouldn't involve a proverbial re-boot with the occaisional guest star appearances from the original cast. Yet that's my own two cents worth (lol).
                        So you think something set in the Universe without guest stars? I'm just trying to understand. Don't get me wrong, there definitely could be an entire series based during the same time as the original that never has a guest star from the original, but I'm not sure that is what you said.

And as far as tiered admissions go I've noticed the problem with that is they limit the number. So if I want everything, but I don't find out until a month out then I am likely out of luck because everything, but the lowest level entries are "SOLD OUT".

Comment

Perhaps the way my comment is read, it comes out wrong. I'm saying "with the occaisional guest star appearances from the original cast". As we know, Crusade was set up with the occaisional guest star appearances, but a completely different series in the Babylon 5 Universe.

I'm sure most people would agree here that the potential for story telling in the Babylon 5 Universe is huge. I remember JMS indicate once that if they can make a Brady Bunch movie, they can make a Baylon 5 movie. Heck, I was shocked to see that there's even a live action Dora the Explorer movie coming out. Seriously!!! Yet, some kind of Babylon 5 Universe project can't get made.

Comment

I've always said my lowest wish would be a full on re-imagined reboot, but I definitely see no reason there couldn't be a continuation reboot that focuses on other characters in the Universe during any time of the series arc. There is no reason the surviving cast couldn't make guest appearances as themselves at later stages in the arc prior to SLEEPING IN LIGHT. I'd certainly love to see that. I mean honestly that might be a series reboot that works. JMS built a big sandbox to play in.

Total agree.
                            But what I would hate to see: a B5 reboot on the already told story (with new cast). Never ever!

With his Timeline JMS did open a such HUGE B5 universe, where countless stories could be told. As prequels, as sequels, as aside stories, in the near past, in the near future (before SiL). Even stories in the far past (San Diego) and far future (The Deconstruction of Falling Stars) are thinkable.

And (guest)appearances of our beloved original cast would be big fun.

B5-Stefan

--
                            "The purpose of all this is to keep asking what is the purpose of all this to ensure that a single, totally resolved answer is never determined. Because then the universe would have to start over. The search for meaning is its own purpose."
                            [Straczynski tweet nov.30,2018]

Comment

Yes there is so much to work with. There could be an entire show set on the station that takes place at any time during the original arc from THE GATHERING to SLEEPING IN LIGHT and not one original cast member need ever actually be seen - because that is just how big Babylon 5 is. Or there could be an entire arc that takes place from THE LOST TALES to SLEEPING IN LIGHT that has occasional guest stars like Delenn or Lyta passing through or something with Lennier?! How about the likes of Na'Toth or Ta'Lon?! I highly doubt anyone would green light the financing for a project that brings back the surviving cast in starring roles, but like I said they could be guest stars, they could just be referenced in a tale that is set in the same time or there could be an entire story set in the same time that never brings up their names (I wouldn't want to see that, but it could happen.) Point being, the original arc could be continued or expanded while still being in the same frame.

One thing I wouldn't want to see is a prequel series. Prequel movies would be fine, but not a whole series.

I don't really want to see a full on re-imagining with a new cast, but I'd take it.

Comment

Working...
                              X